Transporting stretch bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings. I was wanting to get ideas for hauling a full fendered stretch cruiser without beating it up. I have a 4x8 utility trailer, but fear the harshness is going to wreak havoc on my bike.

I've searched the internet for ideas, but mostly for tandem and Xtracycles with quick release front wheels and no fenders.

Just wondering. I can't ride it in my neighborhood due to the steep, long climbs.

Thanks for reading!

Andy

PS The bike in question is a Cherry-Black Dyno Roadster that looks like it just came out of the bike store

I feel you pain and anxiety ! I have the same issue with mine. I can load mine into my pickup with the tailgate down and I use 4 straps, however I have a springer fork and seat.
A48AB1C8-F5EF-48E9-AD32-713501C001D9.jpeg
B4EC740B-B252-468D-ADBE-216429C8C2CD.jpeg
If you have a solid suspension bike you might look at fence tensioner spring. ( you can find these at most farm supply stores). I used the springs off of this one for my bike fork and seat, but you should get the idea. Use a tie down with a spring at all 4 corners and it will allow your bike to flex a little without damaging anything. Also for really long trips I will run a couple of 2x4s along side the wheels and either screw them to the trailer floor or screw a couple of scraps across them to hold them together. It keeps the front wheel from turning sideways a falling over.

I have not seen a vertical bike carrier in a long time. You should be able to find one at a RV accessory dealer.

I have a cargo trailer that I use to take bikes to the car shows. Mounted 1 x 6 boards to floor standing on edge. Secured bikes with ratcheting cargo straps this worked good . But ! I was not pleased with the scrub marks on the Dyno Roadster sidewalls. So for transporting that I use a Hollywood Racks Sport Rider for Recumbant Bikes.

I've got a hilly neighborhood also. When I get a car, I'll have to come up with something to haul my stretch also.
Final.jpg

A utility trailer will bounce around, so a carrier on your vehicle would work best. I had a tandem that I would mount to a standard bike rack but put it at an angle to get more clearance on either side, but I always worried about it sticking out, even if less than a foot or so on each side. One wheel would be high in the air at that angle, but it worked. You could take both the wheels off, but with fenders would take time to reassemble. On your Dyno, you could get a foot shorter by just taking off the front wheel. But I would rather have a bike ready to go without doing any wrenching.
Probably you best bet would be to cushion the bike somehow on the trailer as mentioned in the above posts.

Last edited:
I didn't take any pictures when it happened, but by folding down a couple of rows of seats, I could fit my tandem in the back of my Acura

I wish I still had the pic of the 1976 Schwinn Twinn on top of my 1964 Karmann Ghia, attached with a Sea Sucker rack system.

I do and it reminded me that the PO of the Twinn had the front fender on backwards, which was remedied shortly after arriving home.

1118047.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for pouring in posts! You all gave me great ideas. I think I like the idea of the fence tension springs and using a pair of 2x6 boards to keep the wheels straight. I think I should pad the insides of the boards and somehow make them easily removeable so I can use the trailer for basic hauling.

It has a springer fork. I won't plan on taking the trailer on the freeway, but I'd love to take it downtown to ride without any wheel/fender wrenching. A vertical mount is out of the question. I only have a car and a small open top box trailer. I got it home in my Subaru Forester.. I had to pull the stem/handlebars and stand the bike up with the rear wheel sitting on the front console armrest, and some tiedowns, but it kept wanting to wander / lean over. Made for an interesting drive home (I drove 75 miles to get it). The short height made for less than 1" clearance to the headliner on the head tube springer. It barely fit. but it did fit!

Here is a pic of my bike I have yet to ride more than a couple hundred feet so far.
bike.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the HR100Z-R. On the roads here it would be too wide.
1636430732885.png

It would be nice to ride in that easy chair all day, but would the wife mind pedaling?:21:

Latest posts

Back