Beach cruiser parts selection for wheels.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. This thread is what got me to join and ask a question

I recieved a Hyper Bike for FREE. From what I understand its a copy of an Electra Cruiser.

Since I got it for free and I like riding it I want to build some wheels for it. I know its not cost effective, but I like modifying things and doing things so I'm looking into building some wheels.

I have decided to use a Shimano CB-E110 Coaster hub for the rear. Is there anything better out there?

Wheels will be 36 hole.
I need to find some rims to build on. Wanting black and something light yet durable enough for the horrible roads around my city.
I would like to keep a 36x2.125 size tire yet with some more air pressure. Current tires only allow up to 45PSI.
Would like a good Street tire. No offroad stuff.
Have considered a front drum hub but am not sure at this point.
Spokes need to be stainless with some gold nipples.

I hope I have given enough info. Any ideas on what rims I should select? What about front drums?

I am doing this because I always wanted to lace some wheels, and I already have some basic truing experience.

Thanks for the help
Mark

The inexpensive Duro tires with the slick/hook worm style tread take up to 50lbs. PSI. I find they have much less rolling resistance with their round contact patch.
663a90e4-106c-4147-b59d-233f0ef45b22_1.1f91dad13c72df31e25fc75f68006052.jpeg

CB-E110 is a great little hub. Durable and when needed, guts are plentiful and cheap. Gear swaps to dial them in are super easy and cheap.

Sun Rhyno-Lite rims come in black and are a good sturdy double walled rim. Shop around, you can usually find deals on them.

I buy my spokes from BMX Guru . com.. They have good prices and get them shipped fast.

Have fun building your wheels, it is good knowledge to have.

After much research I am considering using
Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour tires.
How well does everyone think they will work with the 26x2.0 size with the Sun Rhyno Lite 1.75 rim?

FWIW I will also be using Continental tubes with scrader valves.

I decided that with the reliability I need and the hazards in my hurricane ravaged town I better go ahead and get something proven. I bought a pair of Schwalbe marathon plus tour tires. I used some Continental tubes and run 65 psi. They are 26x2 on some one inch wide inside width rims. Very pleased. Money well spent.

I decided that with the reliability I need and the hazards in my hurricane ravaged town I better go ahead and get something proven. I bought a pair of Schwalbe marathon plus tour tires. I used some Continental tubes and run 65 psi. They are 26x2 on some one inch wide inside width rims. Very pleased. Money well spent.
Schwalbe are usually a very good choice

Latest posts

Back