Road Rash

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back from page 2. Too many outdoor projects first. I've got a clear vision of where i want to be now. I did a little assembly this week and i like where its going. Not to happy about the seat color but i may spray it with some interior auto paint.
20220712_182043.jpg
20220712_182026.jpg

If you're thinking black for a seat color, I've used Flex Seal spray on a couple. It's a little glossy, so I covered it with a Rustoleum Dead Flat spray , which also takes away any of the 'tacky' feel of the rubber. Holding up well after probably 3 years or so now?

RaTsberry final 3.jpg

This seat was a bright white vinyl one to begin with. Also has a nice texture to it, sort of a football pigskin type.

Here it is applied over a white saddle on RaTs GaSs....notice the texture.

20200521_190524.jpg

@MazdaFlyer also used it on a seat for one of his builds.

Thanks Oddjob. I really like the texture on that. A buddy of mine who works in a body shop, suggested i try LVP refinisher. They have a large selection of factory and custom colors. I just have figure out which color i want. Maybe a custom color over the flex seal. I used the on Higgy-o,RRBO 15 and it has held up great. The last two pics don't do the bike justice. Every thing was stripped down and given an oaxalic bath. It left a grey with a faint green finish that i used dead flat clear over. i left some of original burgundy and cream paint on the fenders and tank. Time to get my color wheel
20200608_205130.jpg
working.
higgy 012.JPG

When I see those Rocket Ray's, the name of them always remind me of something Marvin the Martion would carry.
But then I remember that was a Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

1658775703283.png

Got back to working on the bike yesterday and run into my first problem. The skip tooth chain has left the property and it was the only one i had. I should have another one next week. Problem two, when i went to put front fender on it wasn't dimpled for a springer fork. Anybody have any tips. Pics to come when the rains let up.

Looking good. I know others have crimped/dimpled fenders for forks before. I can't remember for sure, but I think that @The Renaissance Man may have posted an example of how he did this with one of his builds a few years back.

OK, I found one of the fenders that I made a two part buck out of fiberglass bondo. I pressed the two parts together in my vise and it worked but broke one of the bucks.
It starts at post #253 HERE.

Here's another one that I crudely made from a block of wood and then hammered it in with a dull blunt chisel.
This one starts at post #163 HERE.

And lastly, I had to make a long dimple for a chain and used plate steel for the buck.
Go to post #233 HERE.

I hope this helps, good luck! -Jim

Finally got the seat done. Didn't realise the last owner put it together wrong. They put the inside pieces outside the rails and crushed the rails together. Took a bit to get everything back straight. I painted the underside with hammered bronze that looked black. The top was done harley black upholstery paint. Everything starts going back together tomorrow .
20220808_141922.jpg
20220808_145417.jpg

Attachments

• 20220808_142032.jpg
    20220808_142032.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
TICK TOCK
Cross the finish line in 2 weeks!

Got the bike from pinstriper saturday and started to put everything together. Nothing wants to cooperate. Wheels didn't want to fit in fenders. Had to shim handlebars. Lost nuts for dropstand. Fender braces wouldnt line up with holes. Chain was to small. Took a break went a smaller duro tire set and every fit better. I shelved the skiptooth chainring and went with a shelby ring and crank. I couldnt find any decent pedals in my collection of junk. Still looking. I hope to have it up and rolling. Plenty of time. I had my stripe guy do a little logo on my tank sides since my granddaughter thinks I have a bike shop in my basement.
1661730745758_0_20220827_161721.jpg

Looking good!

My final assembly went a whole lot like yours is; what should have been a simple bolt together process became a bunch of head scratching and rework.

Almost to the finish line and ran into trouble again. I swapped out my skiptooth chainring for a regular Shelby sprocket due to a lack of a good chain. The chain i ordered was to long. After a little surgery all was good. I went to install the chain guard and the back half wouldn't clear the chain. I thought i could remove the rear brace, lower it down to raise the back of the guard up. There were no rivets or screws holding the brace on. It was spot welded on. I drilled out the two spots and tried to pry it off. it moved some and had what looked like some kind of adhesive under it. I got my mini torch out and gave it some heat. was coming off when the adhesive i used on the copper mesh caught fire. Fire out, bracket removed and a body hammer and anvil and all is well. Put it together tomorrow and get it leveled and its off for pictures.
20220902_201204 (1).jpg
20220902_201258.jpg
20220902_201309.jpg

Latest posts

Back