Upgrades to 65 Schwinn Coppertone

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice bike bro !!!!
Ive been going with Bendix 2-speed auto hubs and standard 46 front. It will pedal up almost any hill you encounter at the beach and still be super fast.
Here's my 68' Coppertone.
IMG_6309.JPG

So forgive the bad staging, but this thing is ride ready, and then just going to eventually change the shift situation around, and maybe a few other minor things. One question for the group, I swapped out the steering bearings from the open ball type to a closed bearing, but I can't find the correct size information on the Web and I don't have the tools to measure myself. I think I have 40mm bearings in but they are a little too large, does anyone know what size I would need for a 65 Schwinn? And I guess one other thing, when I tighten down the front wheel it is off center, do I just use some spacers or is there a trick to balancing the springer fork setup?
Almost Finished.jpg

The springer should be spaced evenly without any help. With your axle bolted up to the fork even with the ends of the fork, loosen the bolt that goes across at the bottom of the crown. Then see if you can even up the wheel. You may need to loosen the top of the struts where they attach at the spring housing to get some more wiggle room. Once the wheel is sitting evenly tighten everything up.

41XmyPVVT1L._AC_.jpg

How did you get the springer shortened up to fit?

Just so I am reading you straight, the alignment seems to start from the axle up, I started tightening from the spring housing down, I bet that is the problem, thank you a ton for that.

And for the springer, I didn't shorten it up, I confirmed what was already said by others here, it would have required cutting and welding the fork legs which is a terrible idea and would be a total pain. So I sucked it up and bought a different one with the correct post size. :)

The springers like those aren't machined to close tolerances, so as you assemble them you can make small adjustments where it bolts together and align the wheel that way. It's probably easier starting at the bottom, as you can see where your tire sits at the crown as you bolt it up.

The ones in there now aren't working right? They should be the standard size. I've swapped Schwinn headset bearings with standard size and never have had a problem. With that fork the standard threaded size should work. Do you have the bearings from the original fork? They might work.

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help/headset-standards

They aren't working, but they are also sealed bearings. I wanted to try to upgrade the steering a little, especially with the springer addition and the fork sizes. I have the originals but no way to measure them, and they are old as heck and missing ball bearings and have dried grease and other crud on them. Worst case I could just buy a new bearings set as a direct replacement, but I really wanted to get a sealed set in there if I could.

Latest posts

Back