πŸπŸ—πŸ‘πŸ• π”π§πœπ₯𝐞 π’π­π«πžπ­πœπ‘ 𝐂𝐨π₯𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐗𝐋𝐖𝐁 - BO17 Build Journal - Finished in 3rd Place - 1937 Uncle Stretch Colson XLWB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Savannah looks beautiful. Hope to get there someday.

I’ve been to the USA many times however my first trip across the country in 92 as a backpacker was the most memorable. I got a driveaway car with a mate in LA and we had a week to deliver it to the owner in Booneville Arkansas. After dropping it off we took a Greyhound to Louisville, then Memphis, New Orleans and finally flew to New York. I stayed in a beautiful Antebellum mansion in Memphis for a few days. Thanks for the awesome photos.

Lots fo catch up on this thread. (yours always move so fasf!) Good stuff as always. πŸ‘πŸΌ. Thinking I’ll drive down for some beauty pics when the time comes. πŸ˜… Find a fountain or two…

Come on down anytime! I'll show you all of the best fountain spots!!! :D :D

Savannah looks beautiful. Hope to get there someday.

I’ve been to the USA many times however my first trip across the country in 92 as a backpacker was the most memorable. I got a driveaway car with a mate in LA and we had a week to deliver it to the owner in Booneville Arkansas. After dropping it off we took a Greyhound to Louisville, then Memphis, New Orleans and finally flew to New York. I stayed in a beautiful Antebellum mansion in Memphis for a few days. Thanks for the awesome photos.

You got to see a great mix of the US on that trip. Many people compare Savannah to Charleston, SC and New Orleans, LA. I think of them as three historic Southern port cities that are sisters. We each have nice old historic houses with a lot of cast iron balconies and ornamentation (used as ballast from trading ships).
Charleston is the stuck up snobby sister
Savannah is the graceful true Southern Belle of course.
And New Orleans is the one that everyone loves,,,,because,,,,,,,,well, she's the slutty sister.

You got to see a great mix of the US on that trip. Many people compare Savannah to Charleston, SC and New Orleans, LA. I think of them as three historic Southern port cities that are sisters. We each have nice old historic houses with a lot of cast iron balconies and ornamentation (used as ballast from trading ships).
Charleston is the stuck up snobby sister
Savannah is the graceful true Southern Belle of course.
And New Orleans is the one that everyone loves,,,,because,,,,,,,,well, she's the slutty sister.
Probably the best summary I've ever heard πŸ˜‚

Trying out some vintage crossbars I have.

20220723_121449.jpg
20220723_121456.jpg
20220723_121507.jpg
20220723_121517.jpg

Does anyone know how to connect the shifter cable to these Bendix Stick Shifters? Most shifters need some stop at the shifter end to hold the cable. Does this one not require that? Do I just cut the cable clean and clamp it under the copperish color collar?

1658598383536.png

20220723_132751.jpg
20220723_132804.jpg
20220723_132815.jpg

Does anyone know how to connect the shifter cable to these Bendix Stick Shifters? Most shifters need some stop at the shifter end to hold the cable. Does this one not require that? Do I just cut the cable clean and clamp it under the copperish color collar?

View attachment 201627

View attachment 201624View attachment 201625View attachment 201626
I'm thinking just cut the cable clean it's an after market shifter that would make sense to keep it universal. Super cool shifter and the package is even cooler. You have the package ?

You could cut it clean, and leave some extra beyond the copper clamp, like a 1/2" or better, and clamp a 'cable end' on it to keep it from fraying over time. Cable ends are the little aluminum ends that slip over the end of derailleur and brake cables, you'll want the der sized ones, less bulk. Then I would guess you put it in the hardest gear (highest...5 ?) and then run the cable around that spool in the shifter counter clockwise, and with the shifter all the way forward, through the copper clamp, snug it up, and turn down the screw on the clamp. Then as you pull it back, it should climb through the gears, making it easier as it goes. I haven't seen the 'back end ' of the shifting mech, derailleur ? But I'm assuming there is a spring tension somewhere on the cable to return the cable.

I'm thinking just cut the cable clean it's an after market shifter that would make sense to keep it universal. Super cool shifter and the package is even cooler. You have the package ?

I don't have the package, I just posted that pic for cool reference.

You could cut it clean, and leave some extra beyond the copper clamp, like a 1/2" or better, and clamp a 'cable end' on it to keep it from fraying over time. Cable ends are the little aluminum ends that slip over the end of derailleur and brake cables, you'll want the der sized ones, less bulk. Then I would guess you put it in the hardest gear (highest...5 ?) and then run the cable around that spool in the shifter counter clockwise, and with the shifter all the way forward, through the copper clamp, snug it up, and turn down the screw on the clamp. Then as you pull it back, it should climb through the gears, making it easier as it goes. I haven't seen the 'back end ' of the shifting mech, derailleur ? But I'm assuming there is a spring tension somewhere on the cable to return the cable.

Found the answer is to loop it. There would be enough clearance between the cable clamp and the shroud when in 2nd gear to have extra cable sticking up.

The Chop Shop bars have it in my opinion.

Love the perfect level attitude of this picture. :cool:
200913-20220716-144340.jpg

Thanks. I like those too, but probably won't decide until I get the chainguard and fender on to visually balance the bike out a bit.
I was planning on getting that done today, but I had to go solve a simple plumbing issue at a rental and then we got our daily torrential downpour.

I got my shifter working and went for a test ride.

20220724_145038.jpg
20220724_145045.jpg
20220724_150023.jpg
20220724_150035.jpg
20220724_150435.jpg

Latest posts

Back