πŸπŸ—πŸ‘πŸ• π”π§πœπ₯𝐞 π’π­π«πžπ­πœπ‘ 𝐂𝐨π₯𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐗𝐋𝐖𝐁 - BO17 Build Journal - Finished in 3rd Place - 1937 Uncle Stretch Colson XLWB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you let someone else drive after going to all those "saloons". :D :D :D
I figured it was an English language difference. Googled and saw that what we call "sedans" in the US, are called "saloons" in the UK. Here in the US, saloons are associated with the old wild west bars and pubs. :D

Ha ha, I forgot. Here in rural eastern Poland you drink around your friend's house or at a special drinking den (under a tree, in some bushes, that kind of thing). We have one of the best I have ever seen, just down the hill out the front.

I really like the chainguard. It adds to the stretched silhouette of the bike in a good way (especially that pointy extra bit going past the seat stays).
What I don't like on it is, that it covers up a big part of the cool ratfink sprocket...

I just looked at the picture with the Rat Fink sprocket and chain guard. I would have to change one or the other.

I really like the chainguard. It adds to the stretched silhouette of the bike in a good way (especially that pointy extra bit going past the seat stays).
What I don't like on it is, that it covers up a big part of the cool ratfink sprocket...

I'm still thinking on that. Not so sure it's a bad thing yet. With proper paint, the rat fink will still show up well, but just be more of a cool accent. We'll see how it shakes out in the end. I'm not locked into the sprocket by any means at this point.

Guard looks good. Was amazed at how normal this frame looked. When the chain and chain ring went on you could tell there was a stretch going on. Was wondering if it would look more stretched with the guard but the guard actually camouflages the long chain and chain ring so far from the tire. Very cool. Dig this one. :thumbsup:

That is part of what I really like about this frame. It's like an incognito stretch. You know the stretch is there, but it's not obvious.

I like how the chainguard protrudes past the frame. Looking wicked.

I was thinking that I needed to trim the guard back to the seatstays, but I may have to re-evaluate that thought. :D

OT, but I just gotta ask if you built the wheels on Steamroller?

No, they were made by a builder down in Mexico City, Mexico. I got them from a bike friend in Vegas.

1658933861839.jpeg

Did a test look yestrday with the dropstand I have.
This old dropstand is a possibility if I work out a way to suspend it horizontally while riding. My guess is that it is from an older wood wheeled bike because it is about an inch taller than another dropstand I have (which was probably for a 26" wheel).

20220726_175025.jpg

I also played around with some silly parts just for fun.

First I tried the banana hanger fairing idea. It's not right for this build, but I'll find the right build someday.

20220726_172050.jpg
20220726_172054.jpg
20220726_172059.jpg
20220726_172107.jpg

The other fun part I threw at the bike yesterday were the pipes that I kept from an Electric OCC Chopper that I parter out 9 years ago.

1658946034122.png

1658946020903.png

I am truly shocked at how well the chrome has held up on these over the years. They were obviously not from the same plant as the forks.
Anyway, here they are laying on Uncle Stretch. I don't hate them. I doubt I would use them on this side, but they could be flipped to the other side and I could incorporate a dropstand clip into them. Who knows. It's always fun to try silly stuff to keep in the back of my head.

20220726_172215.jpg
20220726_172222.jpg

Maybe you could attach a big horn bulb to those things and make them bark.

That would be fun!
I could even make the squeeze bulbs brake actuated like Gaskill's "Dead Little Dove" build

1658948399038.png
1658948413693.png

Rolled the bike out to start looking at mounting the chainguard.

The guard has this type of bracket on the front, but I already plan on drilling it out.

View attachment 202048

Instsead I plan to use this old bracket I pulled from a parts bucket.

View attachment 202036

Here is a little workspace tip. I picked up some of these little activity trays at the dollar store a couple of years ago and love them. They are great for keeping what you are working with handy.

View attachment 202037

View attachment 202038

View attachment 202039

Put the bracket on for a test fit and then taped up the guard and leveled it out.

View attachment 202040

I got tired of trying to look past the big TRACER logo, and the foil tape in the rear, so I used a few pieces of electrical tape to murder out my guard.

View attachment 202041View attachment 202042View attachment 202043View attachment 202044View attachment 202045

Pulled the bike away from the pond to test the guard and crank clearance. The new bracket will work fine, but I'll need to remove the existing bracket first to be able to properly position the new bracket and slide the guard forward enough so that the round medalian area of the front of the opening doesn't hit the cranks. All in all, I am pleased with this mockup and should be able to drill it all out and mount it soon. Time to go to dinner now though.

View attachment 202047
View attachment 202046
I'm probably the only one, but I think I like the bike better without the chainguard. :39:

Not trying to change your mind, just voicing my opinion. (There's always at least one dissent so I got it out of the way for you.) Carry on.:)

I'm probably the only one, but I think I like the bike better without the chainguard. :39:

Not trying to change your mind, just voicing my opinion. (There's always at least one dissent so I got it out of the way for you.) Carry on.:)

You know me, I always value feedback. I like the bike without the guard, but I think I like it better with it though. We'll see after I get it mounted up and roll around Savannah with it. I like seeing my bike out in the wild rather just in Queenfish's Courtyard. It's where the rubber meets the road (literally).

For what it’s worth, I would leave the chain guard and save the rat fink sprocket for another bike. To me, this bicycle just doesn’t say Rat Fink.

Who knows. Plenty of time to decide.

One of the other things I mocked up the other day was the Western Flyer skirt guards like cadddy limo fins. One idea is to maybe run these with no fender.

20220726_175528.jpg
20220726_175539.jpg
20220726_175548.jpg
20220726_175558.jpg
20220726_175615.jpg

Little peice of polished metal would look good up there

One idea in my head was to maybe have one or more V shaped connectors curving over the tires between the fins.

Latest posts

Back