Wheels in His Head

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulu

Stinky Old Fish
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious enough to ask, how many people have read this book?

Wheels in His Head was written by the son of Alvin J Musselman.

From the bio page:

Alvin J. Musselman (1873-1950) was a bicycle repairman who would go on to invent a number of important devices, including improved brakes for bicycles, super balloon bicycle tires and the braking system for the B-29 bomber. Morris M. Musselman later chronicled his father's accomplishments in his book "Wheels in His Head: Father and His Inventions"

Anyhow Alvin wasn’t just about tires and brakes. He was an acrobat, a pioneer golfer, inventor of many things, and a bicycle racer.

The story of how he invented new coaster brakes is actually not as exciting as the story about why.

This was a book that my parents gave me as a small child and I don’t think I have a copy anymore. It’s a bit rare and you might pay $40 for a 70 year old copy.

Anyhow I am digging my super balloon tires a lot, so thank you Alvin!

Wow! That’s pretty cool.

I bought a copy for my mom about 12 years ago to replace the lost copy Mom gave me when I was 7. I’m sure I’ve read it six times since 1955, and I bought the last one from the Alibris network of book sellers.

At the age of 85 she still remembered that book.

I’ve bought over 100 books online through Alibris.

Anyhow, if you want to know the story of the Uni-sulky, Fut-Shift or cooking golfballs, it’s all pretty funny.

Alvin’s coaster brake:
6BC9CDBB-3D32-4774-B0E7-0297B7992082.jpeg

I'm frequently looking for new book suggestions, so thank you for this one.

edit: I bought the book and am enjoying very much. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back