The History Guy: The Bicycle Corps

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anybody actually watch this? Those dudes were doing 50 miles a day with a 65 pound bicycle and pack, cross country with almost no roads.

If that was a requirement to enter the army today we would not have one.

tte.jpg

This is a BSA parabike the paratroopers use drop out of airplanes with these folded. It's also one of my dream frames.

Did anybody actually watch this? Those dudes were doing 50 miles a day with a 65 pound bicycle and pack, cross country with almost no roads.

A 12 mile ruck in under time is hard enough. Like puke your guts out hard in the right/wrong conditions. Sometimes I'd be wishing I had a bike

They get better toys nowadays
maxresdefault.jpg

Montague-Paratrooper-Military-Bike.jpg

It's on my list to buy

I did some consulting with Mike Sparks on this program. At one point I was scheduled to help with some trials in Yuma, but budget cuts shut it down before it happened. My "in" on this program was a former comrade who also served as a Jumpmaster at various points in the program. I still have a murdered-out build in my brain that would be a way better bike than those Montagues.

Canadian army had bicycle units in the First or Second World War
They called them the Gas Pipe Cavalry or Suicide Squad.
OOPS I was wrong about the name Gas Pipe Cavalry was a British Battalion
Will have to do some digging about the Canadians .

Last edited:
I got that research right here:
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections...day-special-canadian-corps-cyclist-battalion/
We often recall the old C.C.M.
The first old steed we rode
With its coaster brake and the streamlined frame
And one rear rack for our load.

—from “Ode to a Pedal Pusher” by Ted Henderson, 1st Division Cyclist Corps

And some more:
https://legionmagazine.com/en/2020/04/pedal-power/
I had one of the war time CCM sold it a few years ago

Latest posts

Back