(MY) HOODLUM FRIEND ( take II )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah! That all works well together! Looking sharp!

I discovered something interesting about old vs. new headsets: old steering tubes are bigger, so, so are older bearing cups, BUT, the bearing cages of the newer headsets are bigger, and will not fit inside older bearing cups.
View attachment 200028
View attachment 200029Since the newer headset cups are too “loosy-goosy” and leaves too much play in the steering tube, I really wanted to clean up and use the original headset, but the bearings were not salvageable. So I’m using the new headset and using my use-to-be secret weapon to make the snug.
View attachment 200030View attachment 200031View attachment 200032
I’ve put new cups that are too small in the old head tube, Tightened it down on the fork so it wouldn’t turn and tack welded the cups to the head tube. Then I lose it up to make sure it spins. Let the next guy saw off the tacks and swear at the guy that fixed it this way. I’ve also done this on an old 30s bike that had oversized cups in the bb. I used new ones tacked to the frame while the crank was too tight to turn.

Or…
118FAA99-85D9-4449-B77F-1C5C9371E244.jpeg
D884F80A-E410-41B2-9C3C-E9E4F7FB042B.jpeg
These ridiculous ( but FUN ) things?

Big ole Lurch bars!

you-rang.gif

OhhhhHHH YeeaahhhHHH~! Dad gum it those bars are Sixth Letter-ing cool! NOW you have my attention! :113:

Soul-G dude, this thing has taken on a new vibe. I'm feeling some real Rat Fink styling following this! Bring it!

soul G bars.jpg

Hmmmm.....last time was a '.... Dale - ish ' surf type tune if I recall. Can't wait for this build's rendition!

Or…
View attachment 201107View attachment 201108These ridiculous ( but FUN ) things?
We had Worksman bikes at my work and a painter made a set of the most massive unbelievable handlebars out of a length of water pipe and mounted it on one of the Worksman bikes. It was hard to reach the handles even but everyone had a go at riding it. Your handlebars are in that category of outrageous sized bar. Looking forward to a picture of you riding this.

Haven't seen one of the Park Tool SL-2's in a while (Seat Log).
Looks like a fun ride. Giant apes can be fun, but they are a challenge sometimes. I love the look of them on there though.

Took it out for a short, test ride; it rolls silky smooth, but pedal position needs adjusting. May get a lean-back post for more comfort. Speaking of comfort, I put the other bars back on it. I know they’re not as cool as the extreme hangers, but, these are more rideable. I do miss the look of the taller bars, though.

Attachments

• 39EA0B58-FFE9-487F-A1CA-9A9091D87FA2.jpeg
    39EA0B58-FFE9-487F-A1CA-9A9091D87FA2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back