Junk Shop Jewel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This is the last frame from a pile I picked up 2 years ago when I first got back to the Philippines to retire. I was going to wait for the winter build off, but I'll find something else for that.
I plan on just using what I have leftover from everything else to complete this. I already scrounged up a couple rims and leftover spokes. I laced up the first wheel using red and silver spokes. Both hubs are rear but will work. I plan on spending very little if anything on this bike. I have to find a fork, all my 26" ones were cut up for one reason or another.
A good riding city bike I can throw on the bike carrier is what I'm after. Does anyone know how to ID one of these frames? I think it's 1987 or late 80's. There's a webpage that deciphers the serial numbers but doesn't help with this one.

8 Sep red.jpg
mixte frame.JPG
mixteserial - Copy.JPG

Looking forward to see what you come up with this build, I believe over the years serial numbers went from identifing year/month to just sequencial stamping purely for recording it in case it got stolen

The wheels are laced and headed to the bike shop for truing today, and hopefully will get a new fork too. If the old tires fit the frame then I have all the parts I need.

As usual the shop did a great job truing the wheels. I painted the seat red and it will need another coat tomorrow, and I might touch up the head tube. I'm keeping the frame just as I got it, but that spot needs covered. I have another handlebar stem in silver. The rear brake may not reach, but I have a band brake in pieces somewhere. The new fork is a 26" so the wheel fits well. The rear is fine except for the reach of the brake.
The chain wheel will have to go on the inside to align the chain from the looks of it. If it still won't line up, I have enough room for a cluster to go on. There are a couple shifters in the parts box so it could be a 6 speed.
9 Sep mockup.jpg

It's progressing slowly. The chain line wouldn't line up with that chain wheel, so I went with a cottered set. It still has the copper backing plate and copper trim on the pedals from an earlier build.
Then the 22 tooth cog was frozen and wouldn't work. Brakes are good, not one band brake left in the shop but I found a steel caliper that barely fit for the rear. I need to get a freewheel cog, 18 or 20 teeth, and it should be ready to ride.

10 Sep progress.jpg

The wife stopped by the shop on the way home and picked up a 20t freewheel. So it's done, except to trim the fork tube. I added an old kickstand and chain and I'll take it out for a ride in the morning. (Edit for better pic)
10 Sep phone pic.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back