The next build off? Plans for the future

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would interest you?

• Off Road

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Muscle

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Skinny

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do you guys remember the Vacu-form toy? It had a lightbulb that would heat up little sheets of plastic and then you flip them over a mold and sucked out the air.

I think they made little spiders and bugs and such things. I never had one of those but I saw some guys on the Internet doing this on a large scale basis with a vacuum table. They were making car fenders.

I think that could be a hot cool way to make real disk wheels.

I’ve seen a number of smooth disc wheels, that were just laid up from carbon fiber and resin.

I also saw them make rocket nose cones and other parts out of composite thread and resin.

But that’s a very slow procedure when you could just take a sheet of plastic, warm it up to a certain temperature, and then press/suck it over a mold.
One of the companies in Mexico that I do contracting for is the largest thermo forming operation down there. I used to work in thermo forming engineering back in the day so I'm very familiar with the process. With the correct grade resin sheet and a good solid process with enough vacuum you can make anything fairly quickly. Average time from oven to vacuum is around 6 minutes for most of the large truck composites they make down in Mexico

I thought about it for wheels but the market is just not that big for it to justify making a buck for the vacuum tables. Not that I don't think the guys in Mexico would probably be willing to help

For muscle it would be as follows

MBBO

The 2 out 3 rule: Must meet at least 2 of the following 3 options:

• Rear tire larger than the front (Wider or taller or both)
  • Banana or polo seat
  • Muscle bike appropriate bars (Apehangers, steering wheels, "weird" bars...)
    • You CAN have all three options!
Even though my Blue Meanie bike is a mullet (rear wheel small than the front) the 2 out of 3 , IMO, are satisfied but do the mod's agree so what im asking is would the blue meanie be classed as a muscle bike, rear wider than front, and have custom bars welded to gooseneck,
just asking for a friend LOL...... ummmmmm would a build in the same style as blue meanie be accepted... yeah thats what he wants to know!:whew:

For muscle it would be as follows

MBBO

The 2 out 3 rule: Must meet at least 2 of the following 3 options:

• Rear tire larger than the front (Wider or taller or both)
  • Banana or polo seat
  • Muscle bike appropriate bars (Apehangers, steering wheels, "weird" bars...)
    • You CAN have all three options!
Even though my Blue Meanie bike is a mullet (rear wheel small than the front) the 2 out of 3 , IMO, are satisfied but do the mod's agree so what im asking is would the blue meanie be classed as a muscle bike, rear wider than front, and have custom bars welded to gooseneck,
just asking for a friend LOL...... ummmmmm would a build in the same style as blue meanie be accepted... yeah thats what he wants to know!:whew:
We are pretty informal here and typically it would be up to someone to protest and say that they didn't think you fit in the classification

However I present as evidence.......

https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/mbbo-04-class-2-pedro-pedro-got-a-new-owner.94236/

Do you guys remember the Vacu-form toy? It had a lightbulb that would heat up little sheets of plastic and then you flip them over a mold and sucked out the air.

I think they made little spiders and bugs and such things. I never had one of those but I saw some guys on the Internet doing this on a large scale basis with a vacuum table. They were making car fenders.

I think that could be a hot cool way to make real disk wheels.

I’ve seen a number of smooth disc wheels, that were just laid up from carbon fiber and resin.

I also saw them make rocket nose cones and other parts out of composite thread and resin.

But that’s a very slow procedure when you could just take a sheet of plastic, warm it up to a certain temperature, and then press/suck it over a mold.
We had one of those vacu-form in a prop workshop I used to work in... Great possibilities!

My experience with thermoforming plastics is pretty much limited to making PVC parts for my little fishing boat. That was just cutting things by hand and hitting them with a heatgun, then forming them to the boat itself.

Personally I have no interest in disc racing wheels, but I was thinking of a way to make some impressive custom wheels.

Just wondering if this counts? I had John Brain on the 🧠 when I decided to make an attempt at 🐷 🚲 tribute…

Attachments

• C9F4CB20-71BE-42EC-A55B-5B6F8AFB1480.jpeg
    C9F4CB20-71BE-42EC-A55B-5B6F8AFB1480.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 9E49F973-524A-4E9C-BB53-BB03BFA06274.jpeg
    9E49F973-524A-4E9C-BB53-BB03BFA06274.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
Just wondering if this counts? I had John Brain on the 🧠 when I decided to make an attempt at 🐷 🚲 tribute…
26” front 29” rear and even with the 🦍 🦧 rides like a dream!

I mean technically it fits the 2 of 3 criteria but it's already a complete bike. So you'd have to blow it apart and make changes or something

I mean technically it fits the 2 of 3 criteria but it's already a complete bike. So you'd have to blow it apart and make changes or something
That’s cool. Besides I’m kicking myself it’s actually a 27.5 on the front…well I’m actually working on this Spyder bike influenced rescued ‘60’s Murray Alpine 5-speed.

Attachments

• 179F66EF-EA45-4A72-AB9C-F1CB483E0713.jpeg
    179F66EF-EA45-4A72-AB9C-F1CB483E0713.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
That’s cool. Besides I’m kicking myself it’s actually a 27.5 on the front…well I’m actually working on this Spyder bike influenced rescued ‘60’s Murray Alpine 5-speed.
I’ll try to keep y’all updated

you could just take a sheet of plastic, warm it up to a certain temperature, and then press/suck it over a mold.
I went pro in plastics for a while before joining the military and that's one of the methods used to form sheet plastics.

I do see new guys every year pulling out finished bikes and asking if they fit the criteria. Little brothers you can make most bikes fit any class. BUT you can't start building them til the buildoff starts. We can start collecting parts though. A month or so to go gives a guy plenty of time to plan and collect his pieces.

Guitarl.

My frame has been selected. I'll check the bin this weekend to see what I have and what I think I may need. It should be a fairly low key build without too many mock ups. I'm going to be finishing the bike already on my stand and revisiting a couple of my older builds to try keep my build jonesing under control.

In retrospect it is a build off so I can see completed bikes being exempted. Guess I may have gotten a little too stoked. Anyhoo, as always I've got projects going on so this is a fortuitous event. As a spectator for years this is a really cool opportunity.

In retrospect it is a build off so I can see completed bikes being exempted. Guess I may have gotten a little too stoked. Anyhoo, as always I've got projects going on so this is a fortuitous event. As a spectator for years this is a really cool opportunity.
Completed bikes are totally cool to enter so long as you blow them apart and modify the snots out of them

Latest posts

Back