The next build off? Plans for the future

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would interest you?

• Off Road

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Muscle

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Skinny

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Truth told, building a BMX into a Muscle Bike isn't that big of a stretch since the early BMX included converted Stingrays
That's exactly what I did it, to show that it's not a big stretch. I didn't live through the era, so I'm sure I'm missing some of the nuance. If something like an apple crate got faded and rusty, is there a point at which it would cease to be a muscle bike?

I'm not trying to start a rift or change the class or something, just interested in understanding your thoughts on a subject you have experience in.

cbord.jpg

And THAT is why I'm building an over the top CARtoons! version of a time trial bike. Although with what I have it may very well be a fast bike for the average guy.

GC
I've got a frame with track dropouts you can have for free. It's from the parts donor for my build.

I've got a frame with track dropouts you can have for free. It's from the parts donor for my build.
I do want to get in touch with you since we are so close, virtually next door neighbors. Maybe a leisurely Perry Farm ride.
This has usually been a build off where a guy can do multiple entries so I also might refresh my Planet X that's been hanging in the rafters for a couple years. It doesn't really need much, a guy could air up the tires and go for a roll if he wanted right now. But I would like to sort out the bars and stem situation to create a more comfortable position to ride and still use the "brifters" (brake handle shifters)

Carl.

That's exactly what I did it, to show that it's not a big stretch. I didn't live through the era, so I'm sure I'm missing some of the nuance. If something like an apple crate got faded and rusty, is there a point at which it would cease to be a muscle bike?
That's a rather odd question Matti. The answer is it remains original until it's modified. The same applies to copies.
To what extent something is altered where it no longer fits its original class is up for debate.

Ultimately it's the admins decision what class a bike belongs to. My view of muscle bikes isn't necessarily the same as someone else's. I assume that's why there's a 2 out of 3 rule. It seems it was originally in place to limit heated debates.

The Muscle Bike BO class is merely a title. A purist for example may not want to enter a contest where other members are building things recognized to them to be outside a particular class.
No one's bending anyone's arm around here. There are no stakes involved. Play and vote for whomever you want. I believe that in itself is enough insensitive to enter. The risk is low, unless the game bugs you. Anyone can excuse themself at anytime with out explanation to try another day.

That's ridiculously cool
The Japanese know how to bring the funk.
— Captain Awesome.

I had to quit searching for the night. There's just so much out there. It quite amazing.

This is supposedly a NOS 1969 Murray F3 Eliminator.
11561eliminators001.jpg

Many muscle bike paint jobs are basic fades. The paint type and brilliance along with decal graphics + gobs of chrome is what makes them stand out. The 50+ year old jade paint on my Sears Spyder looks prettier than a lot paints today. It gets compliments.

Flamboyant paint muscle bikes attract all ages to this day. I've had toddlers come at my bikes like it was candy. My rusty bikes hardly get noticed.

I know what you mean @Tallbikeman

Yep🤡 @SwissGuy,

Engraved components is yet another fascination. You've got me interested in the direction you're going @GuitarlCarl.
dcea6c6497aac9a9be2df24d42611c5d.jpg

I was pondering what RRB members could produce collectively. I believe at some point RRB is going to have to be more receptive to new ideas and peoples from the entire cycling community. There's a lot of talented folks around the world who are into custom bikes of all sorts.

I haven't closed my mind to the fact that many MB builders have left or don't compete because their builds were ignored while rusty cruisers with apes were applauded.
Personally, I don't care who likes or dislikes my ideas of what is and what should never be. Even in a build-off, it's just participation to me and mainly about community without the need for approval other than my own. Approval is nice, but not required in my book. Anyone who has left due to lack of approval from others are what I feel is at least partially an unfortunate side-effect of the way the modern media-fed world seems to be teaching people how to think and feel. You're still here and for that, you have my respect.

About once a month I fire this up and it gets turned up to Eleven.

Gooood morning RatRodBikes! Since the end of our annual Build Off, I have received some comments about doing a regular 'video update' related to rat rod bikes , the creative processes and techniques we all employ on our builds, and other related topics involving the vintage custom bicycle and those who dig it.

I probably won't have time or mostly , energy, to pull off a build for the Winter Build Off this year. A thought struck me this morning that perhaps I could be involved by contributing a 'Weekend Update', inspired by the old SNL skit that was first created by Chevy Chase in 1975. It wouldn't necessarily be that comedic, but would have elements of humor, information, updates from the past week on the WBO builds that are in progress, and photos in kind of a slide - show format as shown in the sample video below. I would of course ask for permission from any builder before featuring them or their photos in the Weekend Update.

Following is a very short example of the kind of thing I might do. The production of this sample one is lacking, I used the mic built into my laptop, and didn't select any timing features for length of each photo, etc. So please disregard the quality of production for now. Just let me know if something like this would be of interest. And also let me know if you can watch the video on your various devices as posted here. Thanks, and ...RaT oN~!

Gooood morning RatRodBikes! Since the end of our annual Build Off, I have received some comments about doing a regular 'video update' related to rat rod bikes , the creative processes and techniques we all employ on our builds, and other related topics involving the vintage custom bicycle and those who dig it.

I probably won't have time or mostly , energy, to pull off a build for the Winter Build Off this year. A thought struck me this morning that perhaps I could be involved by contributing a 'Weekend Update', inspired by the old SNL skit that was first created by Chevy Chase in 1975. It wouldn't necessarily be that comedic, but would have elements of humor, information, updates from the past week on the WBO builds that are in progress, and photos in kind of a slide - show format as shown in the sample video below. I would of course ask for permission from any builder before featuring them or their photos in the Weekend Update.

Following is a very short example of the kind of thing I might do. The production of this sample one is lacking, I used the mic built into my laptop, and didn't select any timing features for length of each photo, etc. So please disregard the quality of production for now. Just let me know if something like this would be of interest. And also let me know if you can watch the video on your various devices as posted here. Thanks, and ...RaT oN~!

View attachment 210159
The more exposure the better! 👍

Latest posts

Back