☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
☆☆☆ Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ! ☆☆☆ (That Crazy Joker!)

Well, no building as yet, lots of planning though, been through 8 different frame designs and 3 different wheel and tire options, but I think I have selected the best one!

I will start with the tires:
8622989045_d503158616.jpg

8622989015_b14d140450.jpg

These are mounted on 20x8 steel rim bands I got from the manufacturer custom order.

This is my starting drawing, done in Windows Paint, soon to be transferred full size to my build board:
8698104796_12d342a149.jpg

The drive and gear system will be hidden inside the lower frame boards, there is one small chain on the off-drive side to the rear wheel and that is all that will be seen, even the front chainring is moved to the centre and hidden. Disc brake will be mounted on the jackshaft. 18 speed gear set, geared low as well to offset the weight and length of the bike somewhat, still never going to be a race bike though, probably going to weigh in at around 70kg. (154lbs.) :shock:

Cant wait to get building, got a few other weird and wonderful ideas to try out on it!

Luke. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we are actually on holiday for over 2 months of the build, but will be taking the bike and all our build gear with us, we are travelling up the east coast of Australia to Cairns and the Atherton Tablelands and then across and up to Darwin in the Northern Territory, and back down to Victoria, just under 11,000km ( 6,900 miles) should be able to get some interesting build pics as we go...

EDIT: I will keep updating the title to reflect the progress on the build. So this post will show it has been edited many times by the time the build is over...

Re: Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ! (THAT CRAZY JOKER!)

Make this happen, I want to see you ride this thing to first place!

The concept pic looks awesome !!! With tires and weight like that it should be the fastest bike down hill :eek: Any idea how it will steer with those shoes on ? Loving the sealed up "gearbox" idea though !!!

CCR said:
The concept pic looks awesome !!! With tires and weight like that it should be the fastest bike down hill :eek: Any idea how it will steer with those shoes on ? Loving the sealed up "gearbox" idea though !!!
Absolutely no idea if it will steer or lean at all with these tires, it is a total experiment! :wink:

As for going downhill, it should be fun as long as I don't lose the chain to the back wheel, and therefore brakes... But cant be any worse that a coaster brake set up... Just added weight to try pull up... :?

Practical? No!
Rideable? Here's hoping!
Cool? Well, I think so....

Luke.

Oh, and thanks to Double Nickel who I stole the crazy font letters in the title off... :mrgreen:

You have proven your skills with fatbob and penguin. But you bring a lot more to the RRB table with your posts and support on the forum. I am honored to be in the same build off with you and glad that we are in different classes. :D
Good luck buddy!

Hope you dont live on a top floor apartment ! Luggin her up n down would b a :idea: Just broke my back thinkin about it... :lol: Steamroller comes to mind,who needs to steer?

This is goin to be fun to watch... 8)
Keepin a eye on you,Good luck...

Hope you dont live on a top floor apartment ! Luggin her up n down would b a :idea: Just broke my back thinkin about it... :lol: Steamroller comes to mind,who needs to steer?

This is goin to be fun to watch... 8)
Keepin a eye on you,Good luck...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

We live in an old farmhouse, single story, and my wife has said that the lounge room will be swapped with the first bedroom so that the bikes can wheel easily straight in the front door!

And yes, I don't think it will need a kickstand! :lol:

Started gathering parts together...
8698380064_65f93c6acd.jpg

Tires mounted up on the wheels...
8698380086_bef782cef4.jpg

Even got myself some new Aussie work boots just for the build! Have to make do with size 12's, they don't make the 13's+14s much anymore...
8698380096_6358286c38.jpg

Luke.

wow the tires alone are incredible! hidden drive is even better! cant wait to see this completed :D

Troy

jats said:
wow the tires alone are incredible! hidden drive is even better! cant wait to see this completed :D

Troy
You only have to wait 3 months! I think it will take me all of the time available to pull this off, also we are on holiday for most of the time, but we bought a trailer and are taking the bike with us so it will get built as we travel around Australia, should make for some interesting photo opportunities!

If anyone in Australia wants to know where to get the wheels I am using, just shoot me a pm, they do all the way up to 22's if you are really keen, got to warn you, not exactly cheap, they were cheaper than I was expecting though... Thinking about saving up after the build off for a 17/22 combo for FatBob, to get matching tires I will have to go new though, and that will cost me mega$'s!

Luke.

Re: ☆☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆☆(THAT CRAZY JOKER!) RRB#08

SWEEEET! I can't wait to see this happen bud!!

LukeTheJoker said:
CCR said:
Absolutely no idea if it will steer or lean at all with these tires, it is a total experiment! :wink:

As for going downhill, it should be fun as long as I don't lose the chain to the back wheel, and therefore brakes... But cant be any worse that a coaster brake set up... Just added weight to try pull up... :?

Practical? No!
Rideable? Here's hoping!
Cool? Well, I think so....

Luke.

Oh, and thanks to Double Nickel who I stole the crazy font letters in the title off... :mrgreen:

Start eating this...ALOT!
wheatiesBoxOpt.jpg

This is gonna be cool! I'm watching.

It sounds like a great concept, the tires are awesome, hidden gear train (? :shock: )
I'm sure looking forward to seeing pics from all the places your going to
Your Penguin muscle bike blew me away, so I'm trying to ready myself for this one

Thanks for dropping in and commenting everybody! Stayed up late last night reading and watching the new build arriving, so late start today.

This build off is crazy! :shock: How on earth do you keep up with all the other builds and find time to build your own! Now I know why the build off has to be 3 months long... Unfortunately, my build will take me three months anyway, so keeping up with all the other builds so I know who I want to vote for at the end will be interesting! :|

Got to do some work on the car to get it ready for the trip today, so probably no new progress but I hope to pick up some steel supplies and get started on the wheels tomorrow...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back