‘Humpster’

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9803183_ori.jpg

I'll get the one in the laboratory

Glad you got your stance dialed in just before you have to report to Active Duty.
Looking "disgusting" brother!!!

1624156114729.png

Sorry for the boring update.
I was staring at the bike while on a work conference call (it sits in my home office) and thought the crank looked a little long, it’s off of a 56 Higgins Ballooner, so the BB would have been a bit higher with 26x2.125 tires than with the 26x1.75s that are on this bike. I held it in place and there would be roughly 3.5” of ground clearance, a little closer than I want for this build.
Found another crank in the shed, actually it was on my ‘trash bike’. The chrome was all but gone.
DCFCD4BA-C21B-4B6D-8747-E34C884C7D10.png

I cleaned it up with a copper scrubby to get any flaky chrome/rust off and gave it a coat of Rustoleum Rust Reformer, since it’s stamped with an A, it’s an Ashtabula, the original off the Higgins, has nothing stamped on it. So, it’s a ‘quality’ upgrade too.
BB2B26DE-D208-46BF-976A-8B69C8599D91.jpeg

The new one is 10mm shorter (165 vs 175).
8F1FCF69-54C0-4BFA-AA24-A55DC550BDB8.jpeg

Gonna let it dry for 24 hours, honor the Ashtabula ‘look’ and give it a couple coats of BBQ black (my new favorite flat black) and then a few coats of Dead Flat clear. The threads and center section are taped off, so I’ll get the date code after I’ve finished painting it.
I think the black crank/pedals will look good with bronze center on the chainring, kinda like how the rims look against the tires (heck, the amber reflector matches the ‘Continental’ logo too)
48C36D6A-55C2-4709-B905-EB9038DD67E0.jpeg

PS, don’t tell Mrs. Tankenstein that I took a break from my ‘honey do’ list…..🤫

Cheers all!

Glad you got your stance dialed in just before you have to report to Active Duty.
Looking "disgusting" brother!!!

View attachment 161933
Reminds me of my old pale blue metallic Carlton Continental after I smacked into one too many parked cars (I wuz young, still blind and stupid), and the only forks I could get were that kind of green...

Yeah, don't tell the Mrs, she might get 'cranky'. :wondering: :bigsmile:

I like that new set up on the cranks / chain ring. That black has a vintage quality to it.

Glad you were able to sneak in some shore leave from active duty.
Love the new crank in black against that chainring! Nice upgrade.

Sorry for the boring update.
I was staring at the bike while on a work conference call (it sits in my home office) and thought the crank looked a little long, it’s off of a 56 Higgins Ballooner, so the BB would have been a bit higher with 26x2.125 tires than with the 26x1.75s that are on this bike. I held it in place and there would be roughly 3.5” of ground clearance, a little closer than I want for this build.
Found another crank in the shed, actually it was on my ‘trash bike’. The chrome was all but gone.
View attachment 162453
I cleaned it up with a copper scrubby to get any flaky chrome/rust off and gave it a coat of Rustoleum Rust Reformer, since it’s stamped with an A, it’s an Ashtabula, the original off the Higgins, has nothing stamped on it. So, it’s a ‘quality’ upgrade too.
View attachment 162454
The new one is 10mm shorter (165 vs 175).
View attachment 162455
Gonna let it dry for 24 hours, honor the Ashtabula ‘look’ and give it a couple coats of BBQ black (my new favorite flat black) and then a few coats of Dead Flat clear. The threads and center section are taped off, so I’ll get the date code after I’ve finished painting it.
I think the black crank/pedals will look good with bronze center on the chainring, kinda like how the rims look against the tires (heck, the amber reflector matches the ‘Continental’ logo too)
View attachment 162457

PS, don’t tell Mrs. Tankenstein that I took a break from my ‘honey do’ list…..🤫

Cheers all!
That's pretty tasty. This whole color scheme is going to be awesome

That BBQ black has a lot of texture. Is that what is on the crank wheel as well?
Matti, the stuff I’m using (Rustoleum brand) goes on fairly smooth without much texture. I’ve used it on outdoor furniture and other stuff.
The paint on the chainring is just standard bronze paint (again Rustoleum), not their textured or ‘hammered’ finish. That said, the chainring was pretty rough to start, so there may be some texture from that, and the matte clear tends to magnify it a bit

Needed to get off page 2 for a day or so.
Wrapped up the ‘big’ items on the ‘honey do’ list over the holiday weekend, so snuck a little work in on the bike.
Decided that, while the bars look good flipped they, 1. Made for a really uncomfortable riding position for me and 2. The down force was making them slip.
So, flipped them to the ‘normal’ position.
I took an NOS set of ‘stubby’ Wald fenders made for a ballon/middleweights and gave them a little squeeze to fit the frame/fork. This made them a little ‘deeper’, I think I’ll fab up bracket extensions to get them closer to the tires. Got the chainguard dialed in and mocked up.
87E727EC-9D79-47F6-8EC6-635283F21198.jpeg

Lastly, ‘restored’ a Schwinn headbadge I had, this gives a hint of the color scheme the bike will have.
404D8C26-92F0-4E8A-99DC-5167B65EB8DD.jpeg

More after vacation next week.
Cheers!

Needed to get off page 2 for a day or so.
Wrapped up the ‘big’ items on the ‘honey do’ list over the holiday weekend, so snuck a little work in on the bike.
Decided that, while the bars look good flipped they, 1. Made for a really uncomfortable riding position for me and 2. The down force was making them slip.
So, flipped them to the ‘normal’ position.
I took an NOS set of ‘stubby’ Wald fenders made for a ballon/middleweights and gave them a little squeeze to fit the frame/fork. This made them a little ‘deeper’, I think I’ll fab up bracket extensions to get them closer to the tires. Got the chainguard dialed in and mocked up.View attachment 163823

Lastly, ‘restored’ a Schwinn headbadge I had, this gives a hint of the color scheme the bike will have.
View attachment 163824
More after vacation next week.
Cheers!
Color vibe in effect 😉

Those Conti tires look great on there. Fast and mean, and the dark rims and all black tires will really compliment your 'paint scheme' well! This is the bike Schwinn wished they would have made. :cool:

Latest posts

Back