█★█ starsNbars █★█ 38 Hawthorne Twin Bar 5 Bar ☠ - Red White and RUST - Tied for 7th Place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stance as seen in post #26 is super bad. Fantastic chain guard. Like your thoughts on not making a bicentennial cartoon, too. Hard to describe my thoughts, but envision if you took a "slice" out of an American flag, rather than trying to represent the whole flag. of course, I should be spending this time building my bike and not interfering with yours.

furyus

Their will be some strategically placed stripes to accent the gap between the twin bars, but I have no plans to make this a Captain America build. The stars won't be as big on the girder panel either.

Went over to my bike stash today to get the blue metal shelving and to cut off some OCC drops. I am hoping to use these for the fork drops. While I was at it, I cut the drops from a baby OCC too.

WP_20140503_11_19_11_Pro.jpg
WP_20140503_11_22_14_Pro.jpg

I also brought home the Emory that I bought from @Wildcat so that I could test the 3G 24" x 56mm wheels on starsNbars
284_f77f62717967d54ff3db5e17cb4d5024.jpg

After I broke down the Emory, I remembered that I had picked up this Emory Western Flyer tank from @FATMAN and never got around to trying it on a frame. It's a tight fit and would need some tweaking, but it fits.
WP_20140503_17_05_04_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not ready to start working on the fork yet, so I played around with wheel tire combos to see what might work.
In my prevoius mockups I used the Worksman HD 3 Speed wheelset that I got from @slowriderz with brown Felt Quick Brick 26" tires.
index.php

Here are the other ones that I tried tonight
24" 3G Red wheels 56mm with 24x3 Nirve Fatazz tires (75mm wide) (too tight in frame)
25.75" Overall Height
WP_20140503_17_22_44_Pro.jpg

Same 3G wheels with 24x3 Creme Thick Bricks (74mm wide)
25.5" Overall Height
WP_20140503_19_49_38_Pro.jpg

24" Felt red El Guapo wheels 50mm with whitewall Felt Thick Bricks (72mm wide) (wheels and tires from @DJ-FADE )
25.25" Overall Height
WP_20140503_17_26_31_Pro.jpg

24" Electra Polished 3 speed 35mm wheels with 24x3 Fatti-Os (67mm wide) (wheels and tire from @BillyZ )
25" Overall Height
WP_20140503_20_01_36_Pro.jpg

Same Electra wheels with 24x3 Felt creme Thick Brick (68mm wide)
25.25" Overall Height
WP_20140503_20_18_51_Pro.jpg

26" 3G Copper 56mm wheels (also from Wildcat) with Schwinn Typhoon Cord tires (66mm wide)
26.5" Overall Height
WP_20140503_17_27_57_Pro.jpg

Put the Creme BOA-G 26x3.4 tire on the Worksman HD 44mm rims and the tires ended up 65mm wide
27.5" Overall Height
WP_20140504_16_48_47_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
First impressions
  • I like the creme tires with the frame color.
  • Both red wheels are too much red with the red frame
  • The polished Electra wheels work well and they are 3 speed
  • Fatazz tires have a mean look but they are too wide
  • The Copper 26" wheels work well with the red.
  • The Worksman 26" wheels work well too, plus they are 3 speed and have a front drum brake
  • I need to try the creme Fat Franks and BOA-Gs that I have on the 26" wheels.

Well, we are nearly done with page three, you finished this build yet King?

Luke.

I got 47 more pages to go before I am even close to being finished!!!

Added a test of the Worksman HD three speed wheel with a creme 3G BOA-G 26x3.45 tire. I think this is the route I will take. These fit without having to add dropout or frame extensions. The wheelset I would LOVE to use is a 85mm 3 speed set that I took from my PHAT XC3, but the only way it would work was if I extended the drops TWELVE INCHES!!! I started thinking about how to do that and have a way that would look cool, but I stepped back and looked at the frame. This frame is just too cool to take away from it with a big frame extension. One of my favorite parts of this frame is how the top tubes and chainstays are one continuous piece of arching tube.

WP_20140504_16_48_47_Pro.jpg

It looks like you are into bikes (just a little bit) with that parts selection. Very cool, I was thinking about some thick bricks a while back and could not find any information like you have shown for wheel options so I moved on to a thinner tire. Love the frame you are using. I have never seen one and man they are cool.

It looks like you are into bikes (just a little bit) with that parts selection. Very cool, I was thinking about some thick bricks a while back and could not find any information like you have shown for wheel options so I moved on to a thinner tire. Love the frame you are using. I have never seen one and man they are cool.
Yes Kingfish is, but he also does bike flips and parts sales...

Yes Kingfish is, but he also does bike flips and parts sales...

And I buy and trade a lot here on RRB. Every single one of those wheelsets above came from RRBers

The wheelset I would LOVE to use is a 85mm 3 speed set that I took from my PHAT XC3, but the only way it would work was if I extended the drops TWELVE INCHES!!! I started thinking about how to do that and have a way that would look cool, but I stepped back and looked at the frame. This frame is just too cool to take away from it with a big frame extension.
Smart choice by the sounds of it King! A 1 foot extension is too extreme on such a classy frame!

Love those cream Boa's!

Luke.

Love what you're doing with the Girvin fork! Same one as mine though my spring is black.

The best part about my Girvin Noleen is it was better than free!!! I bought a Proflex 3000 for $50 on CL and sold all of the other parts and bike for well over $300, so in essence, I was paid $250+ to keep my Girvin fork!!! :p:rockout::cool2:

Hey! how tall are the fatazz tires and the big 24 inch bricks are they close in height to a 26x 2.125? oh and love the white tires on that frame!!!!

Jats

Hey! how tall are the fatazz tires and the big 24 inch bricks are they close in height to a 26x 2.125? oh and love the white tires on that frame!!!!

Jats

I'll measure for you tomorrow night. Most of the 24x3 tires end up being almost as tall as 26x2's but fatter.

Use a dogleg crank from one of the bikes that I bought from @Wildcat and threw on the perfect red and white block pedals that I got from @dogdart

WP_20140505_19_59_49_Pro.jpg
WP_20140505_20_00_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20140505_20_20_22_Pro.jpg

I really need to find some replacement 1/2 reflectors for the green ones. 2 White and 2 Blue would be cool or 3 Blue or 3 White. Anyone know where to get 1/2 reflectors at?

WP_20140505_20_17_56_Pro.jpg

Latest posts

Back