▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ Now with riding video!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓

Terry66 said:
I am loving the pictures and the bike. As a photographer, I can appreciate good pics! The bike is awesome. I love Higgins bikes. Sounds like I'll have to wait in line to take it for a spin!

Thank you, I respect photographers very much so I'll be the first to say I'm not one. I took a photography class back in college in '96, I had an SLR camera and I learned more about the camera than anything else (we got to develop and roll our own film, all we wanted! No lab fees, I took LOTS of photos). Later when I worked at East Carolina University as a website/graphic designer and I was put in the office with the photographers, then I learned more about taking the pictures.

Anyway, this is all to say that I tried my best, but I was also in a hurry to beat the heat, I had overcast skies in the morning, but as I was out shooting the clouds left and it got sunny, so my shooting was over with that light.

Please, someone come ride my bike!

Turned out awesome!!! Photos are cool, but it would be even cooler to see you riding it!!! Knuckles in the air!!! 8)

Oneuglybike said:
Turned out awesome!!! Photos are cool, but it would be even cooler to see you riding it!!! Knuckles in the air!!! 8)

I'm working on it, I was dirty today, need to get on some clean clothes first, but it was a ditch digging day. :x

now thats a lowdown dirty rat! :D really great looking patina build and the super apes give it lots of attitude. very cool!

texasbigjon said:
now thats a lowdown dirty rat! :D really great looking patina build and the super apes give it lots of attitude. very cool!

I would've expected this bike to be called anything but lowdown. :lol:

tvc15 said:
Holy cow, this bike is awesome, a true rat

Thank you, again, this is what I was going for.

An FYI for everyone, if you look closely at the photos you will notice that the left side crank arm is welded to the spindle. :eek: Soon I will use my cut-off wheel to cut the spindle and replace the BB and cranks with the other Thompson BB and cranks that I picked up on a women's bike when I was on vacation in PA. At that point the bike will also use either the original bow style non reflector pedals or the rubber block non reflector pedals from the women's bike. I will also swap the matching (but like new) rear fender reflector from the women's bike. All this stuff didn't matter to finishing since I was going for rat anyway.

Mom just called, I get the best reception on the porch so I went out to find that my cat had brought me this little guy! I checked him out and Penelope had not stuck her claws or teeth into her (yet) so as I talked with mom I held the bunny and removed some ticks from her ears and got her calmed down, then I brought her in to check out the build:

bun1.jpg

What do you think of my bunny fender ornament?
bun2.jpg

You approve? Great! What's that? You think everyone needs to give me just one of their votes? Yeah, that sounds fair.
bun3.jpg

Thanks bunny!

I took her outside and away from the cat and back to her field. Remember what she said! It's for the bunny!

Re: ▓▒░ Higgins the German Spy ░▒▓ (Live bunny approved! Page 2)

Peatbog said:
Oh man, you did it again...

When I saw that you had replied (before I even clicked into the thread), I just giggled. haha :lol:

Peatbog said:
I think you're paying your cat.

I was out on the porch talking to a troubled youth a half hour earlier and let her sit on my lap and I rubbed her... I guess that could be construed as payment (since I'm allergic and all).

Came out totally cool. Great rat flavor. Great personal touches. Me gusta tu bicicleta de rata espia alemana, man!

Neat Higgins Rat. Cool fender bunny. Think I would have trouble with the bars but they do look neat, especially the one in front of the hot rod sign.

EastOfEastLos said:
Came out totally cool. Great rat flavor. Great personal touches. Me gusta tu bicicleta de rata espia alemana, man!

I had to use my secret German Spy translator on that one. When I meet people who speak Spanish I always say "Mi padre es el coche." :D

MazdaFlyer said:
Neat Higgins Rat. Cool fender bunny. Think I would have trouble with the bars but they do look neat, especially the one in front of the hot rod sign.

The bars are for style and attention, they are rideable, but when things get iffy (riding up curbs, high speeds, etc...) I just grab them down by the stem and pretend that part is still the road bar it started out as.

raggedjim said:
Great job, I think I like it as much if not better than the side car build.

Rg

This build fits the whole spirit of the build-off so much better than the other bike did.

Thanks to all!

yoothgeye said:
FatBoy said:
Looks Great!!! A guy gave me a rough set of 36" apes the other day and the first thing to pop in my head was Yoothgeye!!! 8) :mrgreen:

How are 36" apes measured? They are probably bigger than mine.

Here is the Rough set of apes I was tellin ya about..They measure 5'10" from the grip to the ground and 32" from the cross bar to the grip.
higgins10.jpg
higgins11.jpg

I think they are just as tall as mine, but so wide! They'd be harder to control than mine. :shock:

yoothgeye said:
I think they are just as tall as mine, but so wide! They'd be harder to control than mine. :shock:

Your right they would be a handful! Im not going to use them but they will look good hanging up in the shop...

Congrats on a great build! This is a true rat!On one hand im glad you switched bikes so we all got to see the Spy but Im still itchin to see a Finished G I Jesse 8) :mrgreen:

FatBoy said:
Congrats on a great build! This is a true rat!On one hand im glad you switched bikes so we all got to see the Spy but Im still itchin to see a Finished G I Jesse 8) :mrgreen:

Don't worry, once things start cooling off a little I will be back to work on it. Have 2 bikes before it though. (for now)

Wow man this bike is amazing, I´ve seen some cool bikes but this one has true Rat spirit know what I mean? I would really like to see this one in my garage, do me a favour and ride this sweet baby to the ground!
You´ve got my vote :wink:

(Do not block this door pic = BRILLIANT)

Gdcast said:
Wow man this bike is amazing, I´ve seen some cool bikes but this one has true Rat spirit know what I mean? I would really like to see this one in my garage, do me a favour and ride this sweet baby to the ground!
You´ve got my vote :wink:

(Do not block this door pic = BRILLIANT)

Thanks man, I plan on riding it into the ground, then building it up again. Rode it to work yesterday.

You get an instant smile when you first click onto this build. I currently don't own a pair of apes to put on one of my bikes but now I have to get some!!! Nice work..

Latest posts

Back