☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆ "BIG JIM" ☆★☆ CALLING IT DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE!

Chris Crew said:
DUDE! That's all I can say--awesome build. And partyly in the bush, no less.
Thanks Chris! :D

Doing this size of a build while doing all this travelling is pretty crazy, cant see myself doing it again, but don't have much option if I want to be in the build-off, too cold down where we live this time of year!!!

Luke.

You guys from down under certainly have a different way of looking at things. Pretty cool looking machine. With those wide tires no kickstand required, right? Neat original build!

Thanks MazdaFlyer! It sure is a crazy build!
You are correct, no kickstand required, but that meant I needed the park brake to stop it rolling on hills! :lol:

Luke.

:D

You certainly NAILED it! :shock:
Amazing craftsmanship my friend!

If I ever find myself in your neck of the woods ( yeah right :wink: )
I'd love to take Big JIm for a spin!!

:mrgreen:

This will be fitted to the park brake bolt tomorrow, I had one made up earlier with stitching by my Mother, but accidently left it behind in Darwin so my Mother-In-Law stitched this one up for me today...

9409180354_2d9d7b855c.jpg

Sort of like those remove before flight tags on aircraft...

Luke.

junknutz1975 said:
:D

You certainly NAILED it! :shock:
Amazing craftsmanship my friend!

If I ever find myself in your neck of the woods ( yeah right :wink: )
I'd love to take Big JIm for a spin!!

:mrgreen:
Thanks JunkNutz! You would be more than welcome to take it for a ride if you ever find yourself down this way, provided of course you are over 5 foot 9 tall! :lol:

Could make a booster seat I suppose for those shorter riders... :|

Luke.

I'm very impressed with the build and the fact that you've built it while dragging it along for thousands of miles across the country!

This bike and you sir, are true ROAD WARRIORS!

While I'm sure the Glamour shots will be good as well, personally the 2 you just posted are great.

If you need a hand with some trailers I reckon we could get volunteers to make one made for each state you've passed through along the way. I would bet that they would end up a heap lighter than the prime mover you've made.

I don't suppose you kept track of the actual distance you have travelled?

Having the tropics and the ice within a couple of days was pretty special, even for Aus.

You are definitely an inspiration. And I will admit looking at some of your engineering solutions - you have answered some of my questions on how some items could be made work.

LukeTheJoker said:
All I would need is 4 trailers! :lol:

Convinced my youngest brother-In-Law to take a ride, he is about as short a person as can ride it, he is 5 foot 9ish... Note the full leg extension:

9407822582_1ce6817a7f.jpg

That was taken shortly before he dropped it trying to turn around! :shock: Good thing it is done in a rough and ready way without perfect paint! :lol:

And yes, I agree, he needs a haircut...

I think the bike came out really well, very happy with it!!!

Luke.

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow !!!!!!!!! Luke this is amazing ! well done, a true work of art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+

The Renaissance Man said:
I'm very impressed with the build and the fact that you've built it while dragging it along for thousands of miles across the country!

This bike and you sir, are true ROAD WARRIORS!
:lol: I knew someone would make a MadMax comment at some point! The name is meant to reflect that a little too..."BigJim"-"MadMax"...

Kroozerdave said:
While I'm sure the Glamour shots will be good as well, personally the 2 you just posted are great.

If you need a hand with some trailers I reckon we could get volunteers to make one made for each state you've passed through along the way. I would bet that they would end up a heap lighter than the prime mover you've made.

I don't suppose you kept track of the actual distance you have travelled?

Having the tropics and the ice within a couple of days was pretty special, even for Aus.

You are definitely an inspiration. And I will admit looking at some of your engineering solutions - you have answered some of my questions on how some items could be made work.
Glad some of the engineering ideas are helping people out!
Actual distance travelled up to today since leaving home is: 11,203km (6,961miles) still got plenty more to go!

oleskool said:
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow !!!!!!!!! Luke this is amazing ! well done, a true work of art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!+
:mrgreen: :lol: Thanks Jake!

Luke.

The bike claimed me as it's first victim today, I fell over trying to manoeuvre it into that little shed, it bottomed out on the floor going through the door and over we both went! A few scrapes and bruises is all, then I tried rolling it backwards using the front tire and of course caught my hand under the point on the bars! :lol:

Luke.

Ouch, it will take a bit of thinking before manoeuvring I'm sure - there is a lot of mass to change speeds.
Once it gets home it will have a bit more space.

Stay safe there is still a lot of ks to go yet.

Congrats Brother Luke!!

Kroozerdave said:
Ouch, it will take a bit of thinking before manoeuvring I'm sure - there is a lot of mass to change speeds.
Once it gets home it will have a bit more space.

Stay safe there is still a lot of ks to go yet.
Looking forward to getting it home for sure Dave, I want a decent ride on it, not these little rides around places I don't know...

supergoob said:
Why no kickstand? :lol:
:lol: :lol:

kingfish254 said:
Congrats Brother Luke!!
Thanks KingFish!

dracothered said:
That thing is killer...
Well it probably would be if it fell on someone! :lol:
Thanks Draco! :mrgreen:

Thanks everybody for following along and supporting the build!

Finished BigJim thread for those that missed the link on the last page: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=75420&p=733018#p733018

Loved being part of the build-off, the energy on the site is so addictive and incredible, some awesome machines out there, voting will be hard!
Thanks everyone for letting me be a part of it!

Luke.

In case anyone was wondering about how the model Mercury Coupe came out that my Brother-in-Law sprayed the same colour as the wheels, we just finished it up...

9413791991_e1bd1e16fb.jpg

Stole some parts from another kit, so now it has a nitrous injected big block corvette motor, roll cage, 4 point harnesses and those massive wheels...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
In case anyone was wondering about how the model Mercury Coupe came out that my Brother-in-Law sprayed the same colour as the wheels, we just finished it up...

9413791991_e1bd1e16fb.jpg

Stole some parts from another kit, so now it has a nitrous injected big block corvette motor, roll cage, 4 point harnesses and those massive wheels...

Luke.

Yep... I was wondering. I love mercs and the model looks cool.
I built a stock standard kit years ago but all my kits are split up now between my nephew and the Rod Benders clubrooms in Christchurch.

Great work on the bike and getting it in the finished thread. Love the pinstriping on the top too.

Latest posts

Back