☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆☆☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆☆☆ RRBO#8. PROGRESS MADE!

You might just be right there Terry! I just measured up the mock up and it comes in at 2.65 meters. (8 feet 8 inches.) That is a full foot longer than FatBob! :shock: This will be a big bike!

It has a 2 meter wheelbase, (6 feet 7 inches) and is under 800mm high. (2.5 feet.) Long and low... 8)

Luke.

Lots of progress lately! 8) You been into the "Cadbury Crunchies" again??? :lol: :lol: This is going to be cool.

Thanks Tommy! Just trying to keep up with yours!

Not into the Crunchies just yet Pick, trying to lose weight not gain it! Finally had a day that I could spend on the bike, hopeful to have at least a couple more before we go on holiday, want to get all the tube bending done so I don't have to take the pipe bender and hoping to have the wheels spoked and the hub sleeves in so I don't need to take the wheel jig either. Running out of time, holiday starts in just 4 days! :shock:

What does everyone think of the "space frame" idea? The frame will be made for the most part out of three pieces of 13x13mm (1/2 x 1/2 inch) square tube with trusses welded between, all triangles for strength. I hope it works!

Luke.

You are taking your project on vacation with you? Man, that's dedication my friend! My wife would never let me get away with that! :lol: :lol:

LukeTheJoker said:
What does everyone think of the "space frame" idea? The frame will be made for the most part out of three pieces of 13x13mm (1/2 x 1/2 inch) square tube with trusses welded between, all triangles for strength. I hope it works!

Luke.
sound like a great idea , but round tubing would look better if you make a triangular pattern , maybe even easier to cut to fit all the angles?

LukeTheJoker said:

Luke.

Space frame sounds like a great idea... in fact, just yesterday I was on Trade Me looking for parts and hoping I could find some cheap bits so that I can play too, when I saw some small diameter tubing and thought... "hmmm, what about a space frame... I wonder...." but then I remembered how bad I am at welding :roll: and thought "nah".

Don't think I will be able to participate on this build off though. Lack of parts and money to buy parts since I spent up on that "muscle bike build off" recently. You never know though, something might pop up and I do have SOME parts... and SOME money... left.

I have been looking through the builds and there is some really amazing stuff. So many things that I have thought about or wanted to do over the years are popping up in the threads.

Great stuff.

wow, that realy is a huge tire!!

pick said:
You are taking your project on vacation with you? Man, that's dedication my friend! My wife would never let me get away with that! :lol: :lol:
:lol: I do love my wife! She is awesome! :mrgreen: Actually it is our 6th wedding anniversary today! :D

It all worked out really well, the holiday was already planned, and I was not going to join the BuildOff because it is too cold here during these months, but I figured that we are heading north, why not take advantage? Bought the trailer to be my "tool shed" as well when we get back, so it will make future projects easier too, rather than carrying the welders and tools out of the house every time, this way they will already be set up! :wink:

OneHorsePower said:
sound like a great idea , but round tubing would look better if you make a triangular pattern , maybe even easier to cut to fit all the angles?
You are probably right, but, I do love using square tubing! I have another trick up my sleeve yet which may explain the use of square tube for the triangle space frame area...

Completely understand about lack of budget Glen, if I had not sold the muscle bike this would not be happening! It would be great to see you in the BuildOff if things fall into place for you though!

jats said:
wow, that realy is a huge tire!!
Yep! :shock: This will be a REAL fat bike! 4inch tires? Nah! Try 9.75 inch tires! :mrgreen:

Got an update for you: I wanted to adjust the curve on the top tube on the build board, so I was looking around for inspiration when I just thought I would bend the tube to what looks good and then just put it on the board and trace around it, kill 2 birds with 1 stone...

Here is my bending method, one of the advantages of using small section tubing is the ease of manipulating before they are all welded and braced!

8707061264_001776b84b.jpg

There are those Aussie welding boots! Glad I found a use for that braced up wheel too!

Here is the result:

8707061244_8dae4b6e3f.jpg

Much nicer curve! Note there are two top pieces there and one bottom, that is the points of the triangle. (Eventually!)

Cant guarantee any more progress today, it is our anniversary and the V8 racers are on tv too... :lol:

Luke.

love the shoes! there steel lined straps for safety right?

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8.

Love the tbe bender, I use trees in the garden,the cracks between the patio flooring,or the front bars on my Pajero :mrgreen:
Must be a oz thing...Use what you have :lol:
ok time for me to get some work done...Keep it comin !!!!

:lol: That does look bad doesn't it!
The grinder was not used there, it was placed there after use rather than leaving it out on the grass, I have forgotten them on the grass before... Leaving them out in the rain... :oops:

Luke.

Awesome! We'll be watching this one Luke. I say "we" because my son (of 11) wants so bad to build a bike with BIG tires. Very Cool concept.

evalu8r said:
Awesome! We'll be watching this one Luke. I say "we" because my son (of 11) wants so bad to build a bike with BIG tires. Very Cool concept.
:D Awesome!
It is not that hard to build a bike with big tires, provided you are willing to get out the grinder and welder! If you do want to do one, I made a "how to" when I last did big wheels on my muscle bike (16 inch motorbike tire), and I will be adding to it soon when I do these ones.
If you have any questions or comments regarding building one for yourself and your son just let me know! More than willing to help...

Luke.

Re: Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ! (THAT CRAZY JOKER!)

LukeTheJoker said:
Thanks for the comments everyone!

We live in an old farmhouse, single story, and my wife has said that the lounge room will be swapped with the first bedroom so that the bikes can wheel easily straight in the front door!

And yes, I don't think it will need a kickstand! :lol:

Started gathering parts together...
8698380064_65f93c6acd.jpg

Tires mounted up on the wheels...
8698380086_bef782cef4.jpg

Even got myself some new Aussie work boots just for the build! Have to make do with size 12's, they don't make the 13's+14s much anymore...
8698380096_6358286c38.jpg

Luke.

Love the ideas you have going and at least you'll get a head start tanning your feet for your holiday welding in them sandals!
Looking forward to this awesome build!

Roly...

Roly...

Love that bending aparatus. Backyard engineering at its best.

Looking forward to the holiday, not a fan of winter myself. Got within a couple of degrees of freezing last night here... :shock: Not even winter yet!

Thanks for dropping in everybody!
Funkme said:
Love the tbe bender, I use trees in the garden,the cracks between the patio flooring,or the front bars on my Pajero :mrgreen:
Must be a oz thing...Use what you have :lol:
ok time for me to get some work done...Keep it comin !!!!
Would love to see your bending methods on your build!

Going to try finish the trailer today, but I may get side-tracked into doing the wheel jig... :wink:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back