☠ ᗷᑌTTEᖇᗷᗩᒪᒪ ᗷᗩᑎᗪIT ☠(ᗩKᗩ - ᑕᕼᑌᗷᗷY)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been thinking ways to safely mount the top bars to the alloy frame.
Fig 1. Was how I thought, but with weight, speed, bumps etc
This is a weak option.
FOFSMXGIKRNNIG9.jpg

Fig 2.
Slice the pipes to fit half in and out, and then bolt.
Medium weak.
FOFSMXGIKRNNIG9 - Copy.jpg

Fig 3.
Take one steel pipe slide inside the alloy and one that fits on the outside. Bolt them in and then weld the top pipes to the sides. I could even weld the bolts on. Just have to be careful not to heat the alloy.
FOFSMXGIKRNNIG9 - Copy (2).jpg

I have been thinking ways to safely mount the top bars to the alloy frame.
Fig 1. Was how I thought, but with weight, speed, bumps etc
This is a weak option.
View attachment 157153
Fig 2.
Slice the pipes to fit half in and out, and then bolt.
Medium weak.
View attachment 157154
Fig 3.
Take one steel pipe slide inside the alloy and one that fits on the outside. Bolt them in and then weld the top pipes to the sides. I could even weld the bolts on. Just have to be careful not to heat the alloy.View attachment 157155
Fig 3 is the way to go. 2 will fail over time. Place a solid plug on the inside of the alloy tube for the bolt(s) to pass through to avoid deformation. Can me any kind of metal. A thick wall tube with shaped ends to fit the ID would do.

Fig 3 is the way to go. 2 will fail over time. Place a solid plug on the inside of the alloy tube for the bolt(s) to pass through to avoid deformation. Can me any kind of metal. A thick wall tube with shaped ends to fit the ID would do.
Thanks, Yeah was thinking a stainless steel tube, and use flat sex bolts. And maybe rivet flat metal plates either side similar to this.
1620759835146.png
And could wrap it around the head. I will examine some more tomorrow and do a test on scrap...

I've always liked the little 20x4 mini velo minibikes that I have seen around the past few years. They do have a cool vibe to them. Back in the day when I was only PrinceFish127, we had a nicer than most minibike. It had a bigger 6HP Tecumseh engine and chrome spoke larger wheels. I think it even had drum brakes on it.

Thanks, Yeah was thinking a stainless steel tube, and use flat sex bolts. And maybe rivet flat metal plates either side similar to this.View attachment 157158 And could wrap it around the head. I will examine some more tomorrow and do a test on scrap...
Can't see the example you're referring to.

Semi spherical washers used on the inside would be ideal. Then it could be bolted entirely from the outside, if there's access to the nuts inside. Doesn't appear there is... yet.

I'm sure you'll have this worked out soon enough. Looking good:thumbsup:

G
Can't see the example you're referring to.

Semi spherical washers used on the inside would be ideal. Then it could be bolted entirely from the outside, if there's access to the nuts inside. Doesn't appear there is... yet.

I'm sure you'll have this worked out soon enough. Looking good:thumbsup:
Geez maybe it was me that made the site crash oooops!!! On some vintage bmx they have side plates added at the front.

Weld to the bolted on sleeves...

Carl
I could even weld the bolts inside on either side., or a bolt straight in and out inside a tube?. As long as I don't heat up the alloy that is, But tack welds should be okay...

Have you a-'tacked' any of your welding options yet, Funk? :wondering::nod::wink1:
Not yet. have been busy with work. Hopefully in a week it slows down to normal. I also have to look for a new place to live, not easy.... But the forks arrived, and did mount them to get the right stance. Now for some shaping and tacking...

Did a little cutting and grinding today, to shape the inner and outer pipes to join to the frame.
I am using a head stem from a old 12" bike and part of another. Painted the inside, so not to have contact with the steal. Now on the hunt for Stainless bolts.
1622741549770.png

Fits perfect and tight.
1622741620188.png

I will change the rear tubes for much stronger ones...My grinding is much better than my welding.
1622741707078.png

I have been ordering parts, expecting to be here in July.
But hope to have tubes welded and my special surprise, finished by then.

Thanks for the update, Funk. Looks like a plan. And a 'special surprise' ? Those are always fun!

RaT oN~!

Today I did some testing.
Wanted to see how far I could go welding the pipes, without melting the aluminium.
If I keep minimal, looks like I can do it.
1623007343646.png

Drilled the holes for the bolts, and added a couple of pop rivets. Tuesday I should be able to start tacking. Also add a cap on the end
1623007549330.png

Shaped the seat stays, so also ready to tack.
1623007636977.png

Spent most of the day actually tweaking the bike dead straight.
Had a small issue where the wheel was more to the left side, now it is dead center and the whole frame is inline.
1623007752846.png

Before I start welding it, I will start sanding all the pipes first, make it a little easier. Still have to make a few more bars also. Fill in some holes etc.
But I love the way it is coming along.
1623007967649.png

1623008008234.png

It's 167cm length (the original is 168cm)
Seat bar height is 76cm, but with the saddle it should take it close to 82cm, thats the original height.
Handlebar height, will depend on where it feels comfy. The original is 112cm-125cm from ground up. These will be adjustable.

Attachments

• 1623007919105.png
    1623007919105.png
    922.2 KB · Views: 36
Thanks for the update, Funk. Looks like a plan. And a 'special surprise' ? Those are always fun!

RaT oN~!
If I decide to move back to Oz, this bike will come back with me, and the lil surprise.

I love the old minibike lines that this has now! Great work!!

I love the old minibike lines that this has now! Great work!!
Yeah I love the shape of them. So many different styles out at the moment. Just overpriced.

Awesome stuff!
Will two people be able to sit on it? (I just assume it will get a long seat cushion ;) )
Yes, but why would I want to pedal some lazy person around.:bigsmile:

Parts are starting to arrive, clamps, decals and a set of wheels tomorrow. Still have to order tires, and guards. But should be able to start tacking by next week.
1623960982068.png

Completely disappointed, picked up wheels today. They sent 26" not the 20" I ordered. Either they have a blind person working for them, or the company is circus full of clowns, honestly how can you get 20" and 26" wrong?
1624300464540.png

Latest posts

Back