⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ HEXtreme ⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ --- Sexy HEXy Is DONE! - Ride (PIC HEAVY) + Walkaround VIDEO!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost forgot to post this. Around lunchtime I got a USPS alert that my package from @The Renaissance Man arrived at my office. I jumped in my car and brought back this cool surprise.

It's an RRB tradition that the previous winner builds a trophy for the next winner. So since Jim won BO14, he squeaked in this cool trophy for my on the very day that BO16 started. I really dig it. there is a chrome spiral chainring in there sandwiched with layers of brushed aluminum, painted with the same Burnt Orange VHT paint that I used on SteamRoller. What a great trophy to hang on the wall. THANKS JIM!!!!

20210501_141910.jpg
20210501_142436.jpg

I also pulled out my BO10 1st Place trophy that @Funkme made for VerBoten. THANKS AGAIN KIMBERLY!!

20210501_142445.jpg

Great stuff going on with both of these trophys.

20210501_142453.jpg

Look at that! A day-one mock-up! Those wheels are going to look crazy rollin' down the road.

I meant to mention your challenge when i posted those last pics.

If I understand correctly, your stuck seatpost is a round post, inside a round liner, inside the hex seat tube, correct? There ought to be a way to create a threaded extractor to gently tug that post free, without a lot of frame twisting and unnecessary cursing. I must think on this.

If I understand correctly, your stuck seatpost is a round post, inside a round liner, inside the hex seat tube, correct? There ought to be a way to create a threaded extractor to gently tug that post free, without a lot of frame twisting and unnecessary cursing. I must think on this.

I'm not sure, but this hex tube may even be round in the center for all I know.
What complicates things it this is a quill seatpost and that wedge is jammed/frozen as well. Some previous owner even cut the head off of the wedge screw.

To start with I'm soaking it in PB Blast from the top and inside. Then I'll do the same upside down through the BB. Then I have heard that a mix of motor oil and tranny fluid (or brake fluid I don't remember) is a magic recipe too.

I say go with the redline tires. On a side note, is there any manufacturer out there that does still make 26" redline balloon tires? I would love to have some for at least one of my own projects, but it seems like all the cool bike tires that I've seen on rat bikes from 5 or so years ago are just as hard to find as hens' teeth these days...
Not red line, but red walls. I'd love to find a set of these squirreled away in some vast back room or warehouse

Red walls

I'm not sure, but this hex tube may even be round in the center for all I know.
What complicates things it this is a quill seatpost and that wedge is jammed/frozen as well. Some previous owner even cut the head off of the wedge screw.

To start with I'm soaking it in PB Blast from the top and inside. Then I'll do the same upside down through the BB. Then I have heard that a mix of motor oil and tranny fluid (or brake fluid I don't remember) is a magic recipe too.
Galvanic corrosion is pure evil. If the frame bore is aluminum, the aluminum oxide has expanded and created a grip that is extremely hard to break. Your best bet might be finding a machine shop or even a venetian blind cleaner with an ultrasonic tank large enough to immerse and clean the frame. The parts may also respond to vibration from an air chisel with a blunt bit against the seatpost. I have had success using that method.

Not red line, but red walls. I'd love to find a set of these squirreled away in some vast back room or warehouse

Red walls
Yeah, I've seen those red wall tires on Ebay and Amazon, but that's too much red for the vibe I'm going for. As @kingfish254's HEXtreme shows, redlines just look good, especially on bare metal/chrome bikes.

Yeah, I've seen those red wall tires on Ebay and Amazon, but that's too much red for the vibe I'm going for. As @kingfish254's HEXtreme shows, redlines just look good, especially on bare metal/chrome bikes.
The first run of the Cult/Vans tires had a nearly red, orange stripe model in 2.3". I don't know if they had the red/orange stripe in the subsequent run (2.1"), however.

0e6c9f53-15f9-49a6-a65e-99d034427c38_2048x2048.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back