⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ HEXtreme ⬡⬣⬡⬣⬡ --- Sexy HEXy Is DONE! - Ride (PIC HEAVY) + Walkaround VIDEO!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With most of the pics I take around Savannah, the scenery is much much older than my bikes, but in this case not as much. The Savannah riverfront on the left dates back to the city's founding in 1733. There are modern buildings in the pic, but I would say 80% of buildings on River Street date back to the early 1800s. The gold dome of City Hall is from around 1910. The port buildings near the bridge are probably about as old as the bike. The frame is 1947, so there wasn't even a bridge until 6 years later. Most everything on the right side of the river is newer than the bike except for a couple of older wharfs. The new riverwalk extension where the bike is sitting is pretty close to the location where the temporary shipyard was where they built Liberty Ships to support the war effort in WWII.
Thanks, I can now feel how well the bike fits into all that. Imagine it being ridden there while the shipyards were still in existence, with the bridge still being built! :)

Isn't Savannah one of the oldest cities in the USA, KF?

Isn't Savannah one of the oldest cities in the USA, KF?

#7 on the list

No, that can't be correct. Georgia was the last of the original 13 colonies. While most places West of us are all younger, most everything North of us along the coast is older (in some cases much older). Of course, St Augustine, FL is the oldest city in the US.
Savannah (and Georgia) was founded in 1733 as a strategic buffer for the first 12 colonies against the Spaniards in Florida. There are plenty of cities along the mid and North Atlantic seaboard that started in the 1600s.

No, that can't be correct. Georgia was the last of the original 13 colonies. While most places West of us are all younger, most everything North of us along the coast is older (in some cases much older). Of course, St Augustine, FL is the oldest city in the US.
Savannah (and Georgia) was founded in 1733 as a strategic buffer for the first 12 colonies against the Spaniards in Florida. There are plenty of cities along the mid and North Atlantic seaboard that started in the 1600s.
Ahhhh...........went back and looked and the article I clicked on did make a clear distinction that people disagree and argue over "city" and actual established dates

Holy cow, it has now been 35 days since I did any work in HEXtreme. I guess that is the beauty of our extended 4 month build off now. It gives people plenty of cushion to deal with the real world when it gets in the way our bike fun time. At least I've enjoyed a couple of fun rides with HEXy during this hiatus.

It's kinda hard wrapping your head back around a build after that much time away though. I rolled HEXtreme out today and just kinda kept staring at it while I tried to make some sense of my even more crowded shop. As I sorted through stuff, I tried to think of what parts or work I had been thinking about before. Can't say I got a lot of real work done on the bike today, but at least I did a little.

One thing I noticed on the NEW handlebars on our last ride was that they had already started to rust. I swear, I think CHROME is Chinese for "shiny rust".

20210807_105403.jpg

The other side was the same way. I took some steel wool and wd40 to them and they are fine again (for now).

Pulled the chainguard out again and looked at it in more detail trying to figure out the best way to mount it to the bike. The front clamp is made for round tube, so I spread it out a little and started hammering it on the cobbler anvil to get a good flat spot to start from so I can better lock in the allignment and spacing with the chainring and chain. Still need to do more hammer work to this. Like I said not much to report on my jumpstart on the build.

20210807_185121.jpg
20210807_185110.jpg

Nothing like a hammer and anvil to get you back in to the 'swing' of things!

Self rusting chrome bars, eh? Hmmmm..... :bigsmile:

That sea breeze will do it. <ugh>

Here in town we don't get much of the sea breeze and no salty air. But the whole area makes up for it with insane humidity at times. But compare that KungFluChrome with the 50 year old spaceliner guard chrome. The new stuff will be dust in 50 years.

Mocked up the guard

20210808_103850.jpg
20210808_103856.jpg
20210808_103918.jpg

And decided it was time for some chrome salad surgery.

20210808_105154.jpg

I can't remember who it was here or on Facebook, but back when I first posted up guard mockup pics, someone suggested cutting away the front lower section of the guard so that I could lower it. At the time I thought it was extreme and had even been thinking of recreating the flying tiger teeth I did with Flexy. Well the more I've mocked up the guard and noodled on it, whoever suggested it was spot on.

I love these chainguards and I felt kinda evil making that first cut with the tin snips.

20210808_105546.jpg

Just used the old bend back and forth method to remove big chunks.

20210808_105719.jpg

20210808_111914.jpg

Then I pulled out the Dremel cut off wheel (with goggles) and started slicing about an eight of an inch from the final line.

20210808_113512.jpg
20210808_120247.jpg
20210808_120258.jpg

Did a simple mock to see if I was a evil fool or not.

20210808_120449.jpg
20210808_120452.jpg

I was happy with result and there is no turning back now anyway.
Switched the Dremel bit and ground down to the natural edge break of the guard.

20210808_121332.jpg
20210808_122621.jpg

I've noticed quite a few bandages this build off. I'm really not the safest worker with tools, but here is my OSHA moment of the day. Get yourself some basic work gloves. I've been using these Harbor Freight ones for years. They are lightweight enough to still work with piece, but still provide some level of finger protection from the tools, heat, and sharp edges. I have heavier ones that I wear when doing rough cutting or longer grinding when I want more protection from mishaps or the heat of the item.

20210808_122644.jpg

You may have noticed that I left a chunk of the front lower section of the guard attached.

1628444928155.png

That was so I could make the new slender nose more appealing with some rhinoplasty.

20210808_123208.jpg
20210808_123237.jpg
20210808_123259.jpg

Latest posts

Back