⭐ ShowBoatin' ™ ⭐ FINISHING TOUCHES

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those two will not be compatible.

Try this base coat
View attachment 160535
Then your red/yellow.
Top coated with View attachment 160536
You've used them together? I was speaking with a guy at a car cruise in and he had an old metal ice box all refurbished and pinstriped and I'm positive this was the combo he told me he used to get the bass boat red effect

Any shiny metallic silver base coat should allow you to get the anodized look from the Metalcast. I've never tried a flake base. Grab yourself an old fender and do a test run with different base coats.

When I did Sizzler, I initially thought that bare metal would be shiny enough. It wasn't. The skirt was shows Metalcast directly on bare metal, The guard has a generic metallic silver base. The base coat makes all the difference in the world. I hope the silver flake works.

Anything that is chrome doesn't need a base coat.

1623157115876.png

Any shiny metallic silver base coat should allow you to get the anodized look from the Metalcast. I've never tried a flake base. Grab yourself an old fender and do a test run with different base coats.

When I did Sizzler, I initially thought that bare metal would be shiny enough. It wasn't. The skirt was shows Metalcast directly on bare metal, The guard has a generic metallic silver base. The base coat makes all the difference in the world. I hope the silver flake works.

Anything that is chrome doesn't need a base coat.

View attachment 160550
I planned on shooting some test panels anyhow. Grabbed some sheet from the plant while I was traveling the other week

You've used them together? I was speaking with a guy at a car cruise in and he had an old metal ice box all refurbished and pinstriped and I'm positive this was the combo he told me he used to get the bass boat red effect

No...
I know better
Then to: put a lacquer based paint, over an
enamel base paint. Been doing professional automotive restoration and painting since 1972.

You can get a Dupli-Color metallic to put as your base coat. Personally I would use gold as to the silver give you a better tone.
As for an anodized look the metalcast paint does that on its own..

But if you're wanting a translucid metallic look. You would be wiser to go with the clear I posted above.
But, as always how it's done is your choice it's your project.
But, if you spray that lacquer based paint over that enamel base paint ; it will crack & chex

No...
I know better
enamel base paint. Been doing professional automotive restoration and painting since 1972.

You can get a Dupli-Color metallic to put as your base coat. Personally I would use gold as to the silver give you a better tone.

But if you're wanting a translucid metallic look. You would be wiser to go with the clear I posted above.
But, if you spray that lacquer based paint over that enamel base paint ; it will crank & chex
:thumbsup: thanks!

Reactions: KJV
Awesome. I'll still shoot some test panels for the heck of it, but thanks to @KJV I've done some more research and have some alternatives

Maybe some pearl, maybe some color shift, maybe I'll use my wife's food processor and pulverize some unobtanium for that bling bling

RevolvingJealousDeer-max-1mb.gif

No...
I know better

But, if you spray that lacquer based paint over that enamel base paint ; it will crack & chex

Actually the Metalcast paint is enamel based. It worked fine over basic Krylon metallic silver enamel spray paint for my Western Sizzler build.

Actually the Metalcast paint is enamel based. It worked fine over basic Krylon metallic silver enamel spray paint for my Western Sizzler build.

I've got about 7 different options to trial so I guess we'll see what works while also earning self appointed style points. Hopefully no compromising vision

I know how you can achieve, an awesome : metal flake bass boat paint job......

Ship it to your brother, have him paint it, and ship it back. :p
He has a 2 year backlog right now. Even I can't squeeze in

He's in the middle of doing an International Scout that in his words has exactly "1 gagillion pieces that are getting candy and pearl"

Forgot to post pics from when I was working on stripping and polishing out the fork the other day. Chemical stripper, brass brush, wire wheel cup, Scotch Brite in various forms, and finally 0000 steel wool and WD-40. Still have a few nooks and crannies to go back and get but it's looking good. Got out most of the years of dings and handling damage they always collect. Soaked in WD-40 now until I can prime them to fend off the ridiculous humidity we are living with

IMG_20210614_133020046~2.jpg
IMG_20210614_133039981~2.jpg
IMG_20210614_133033600~2.jpg

Latest posts

Back