πŸπŸ—πŸ‘πŸ• π”π§πœπ₯𝐞 π’π­π«πžπ­πœπ‘ 𝐂𝐨π₯𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐗𝐋𝐖𝐁 - BO17 Build Journal - Finished in 3rd Place - 1937 Uncle Stretch Colson XLWB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those came as full headsets or just cups?

Full headsets. I think you may have posted a link on here. I know yhere was a thread on it. I'll find a link later.

I'm a bit of an ignoramus, I just use washers on a threaded rod. What function does that ball bearing plate between the top two washers serve?

I am guessing they allow the tightening nut and washer to spin without the washers on the headset to grind.

Need to look inside first and see what kind of core it might have. This is a pretty cheap bat, so I am assuming it's a one piece bat.
I'll try bending it with a conduit bender I have first. If that doesn't work, I may try making half slices into the section that needs the curve. My other option is to check with @Skydreamer and see if he has any dies for his roller small enough for a bat handle.
Much more to work on until that time. I need to get this ridable first.
I think the roller is the best option. I'd try that first if possible.

Full headsets. I think you may have posted a link on here. I know yhere was a thread on it. I'll find a link later.
I was wondering if they were the same. They look like different bearings if so

Got the headset installed and adjusted the springer section to raise the front end just a little bit more to get the chainstays close to level.

20220619_170407.jpg
20220619_170418.jpg
20220619_171040.jpg

I think I might switch out the saddle for my brown PHAT Lepper Primus clone.

20220619_172158.jpg
20220619_172130.jpg

The bat tank is really slick. I know you will figure out how to achieve what you're looking for. How in the world do you come up with this stuff?

Right here on RRB (somewhat). I knew I wanted something in that space. I even had an idea for suspended balls of decreasing sizes. But in this build off when I saw the beginnings of @handyandy1100 's pvc tank on HotRodHawthorne, it triggered my brain to think what other round long items might work for a tank. I saw some update on my FB thread about Georgia Tech baseball while I was in Italy. I immediately started searching on normal measurements for metal bats but had to wait until I got back to the states before I could take any space measurements on my frame. After that I just kept searching FB marketplace for bats until this one popped up for $10.

Has Imelda closed the doors on her 'bars' closet? Or can we expect more 'bar swapping' in the future?

No plans at this time. Who knows once I get it ridable. But I like these so far.

I don’t want to be there when you trim the fork legs…..😬😳😰
Me neither, so I thought of something:
Keep the legs sticking out above and mount a windshield like those old Police bikes:

I found one from Terminator 2 for that coolness factor :cool:

Love your build so far, that fork is just a beast!

When I put 12 over legs on my Kawasaki I decided that it was a little extreme, so I allowed about 4 inches or 5 inches to protrude past the top triple tree.

I used a chrome tweak bar at the very top of the fork tubes, drilled two holes through it, and mounted welded TT drag bars to the tweak with Allen screws from below. It was easy to do and I only had to drill two holes.

Plus it was adjustable to tune the length of the legs a bit. I found by sliding the fork tubes up and down, that just 1 inch of movement could improve the handling a lot.

Me neither, so I thought of something:
Keep the legs sticking out above and mount a windshield like those old Police bikes:

I found one from Terminator 2 for that coolness factor :cool:

Love your build so far, that fork is just a beast!

I had to think about this one for a bit.

I think it would look great, as long as you didn’t have to ride that bike in a nice ocean breeze. A good gust may blow you into traffic. Any headwind that all would be a real pain to pedal into unless the windshield was very tiny.

My Nomad has almost the biggest windshield ever on a cruiser bike. (If I don’t like it I can make it taller because it goes up and down like a sliding window.)

But I get blown around a bit if there’s a real wind. With me and my wife and our luggage on that bike it was about 1300 pounds too, but the thing is a sail!

I don’t want to be there when you trim the fork legs…..😬😳😰

It shouldn't be too bad. I plan to have a few threadless steertube spacers between the headset and the top plate. That will give me some adjustment leeway in the length of the forks. I have one of the Park Tool threadless tube saw guides, but it is far to narrow for the outer fork legs. I have a way that I clamp parts in my vise table that allows me to cut a pretty straight line with a cutoff wheel and an angle grinder. Then I can grind any imperfections in the cut afterwards. The fork leg caps cover it anyway.

Either will work, depending on what color you paint it. Love that brown one though

True. That is what I was thinking. My paint ideas change daily, because my vision for this build has changed a few times too. As usual for me the color scheme can wait until the end. Just gotta let the bike flow where it wants to go first.

Latest posts

Back