πŸπŸ—πŸ‘πŸ• π”π§πœπ₯𝐞 π’π­π«πžπ­πœπ‘ 𝐂𝐨π₯𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐗𝐋𝐖𝐁 - BO17 Build Journal - Finished in 3rd Place - 1937 Uncle Stretch Colson XLWB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe me, after almost 50 years in the business of design I can relate to how this works.

Please expect me to criticize everything in the name of science (!) because that’s what engineers do.

Unless it only looks funny, and then I’ll criticize it in the name of art.

Art Dyson, Art Linkletter, Art Garfunkel….
I don’t know….some kind of art.

In truth, I think the bike will handle much better with the beach bar style handlebars than the chopper style handlebars.

How much you will need that extra handling is gonna depend on the steering geometry and a whole bunch of other stuff.

since the bike has curved sections and straight sections of tubing in construction I think that the bars should be addressed the same way. Not all curves not all straight.

Here are the front runners so far. I can't even remember what I pulled them off of. But I am pretty sure it was a stretch of some sort. These are also very wide (about 28") like the moons, but these have a sweet straight pull back sweep to them. Hard to say what I'll end up with. Still need a seat to really get a feel for the stance and geometry, but I'm liking the feel of this.

View attachment 196501View attachment 196502View attachment 196503View attachment 196504View attachment 196505

I may even make these into classic crossbars.

View attachment 196506View attachment 196507

Has anyone ever done a thin double bar?

Wait wait…. I’m getting this vision of a dimpled bar formed from light gauge…

Oh blast….it’s gone now.

Believe me, after almost 50 years in the business of design I can relate to how this works.

Please expect me to criticize everything in the name of science (!) because that’s what engineers do.

Unless it only looks funny, and then I’ll criticize it in the name of art.

Art Dyson, Art Linkletter, Art Garfunkel….
I don’t know….some kind of art.

In truth, I think the bike will handle much better with the beach bar style handlebars than the chopper style handlebars.

How much you will need that extra handling is gonna depend on the steering geometry and a whole bunch of other stuff.

since the bike has curved sections and straight sections of tubing in construction I think that the bars should be addressed the same way. Not all curves not all straight.

No worries at all with any critiquing. That is all part of the process and feedback that makes us build better bikes in these build offs. I'm an engineer as well, but I'm a EE, so I only pay attention to whether or not electrons will flow with the lines of the build. Everything else is up for grabs when I start mockups :D .

No worries at all with any critiquing. That is all part of the process and feedback that makes us build better bikes in these build offs. I'm an engineer as well, but I'm a EE, so I only pay attention to whether or not electrons will flow with the lines of the build. Everything else is up for grabs when I start mockups :D .
Ahhhhhh..........the life of an engineer. How I do not miss those days

Has anyone ever done a thin double bar?

Wait wait…. I’m getting this vision of a dimpled bar formed from light gauge…

Oh blast….it’s gone now.

One of my favorite builds was done by Rob English in England. The entire build is beautiful, but I especially like the way he made the Handleborks!

1654984030828.png

These are quite nice. Even from the odd angle they compliment the frame curves nicely

They look like they would just be great to rest on your hands on and cruise

Yeah, these would definitely be comfy for sure!

1654985563906.png

I finally remembered where I got those big draw handlebars. They were on the Speed Demon Jet Flow that I scored early last year.

1654986787331.jpeg

One of my favorite builds was done by Rob English in England. The entire build is beautiful, but I especially like the way he made the Handleborks!

View attachment 196530
Yoikes! That’s gotta weigh a fur bit more than my mongoose fat bike! It appears to be almost all solid stock.

That crank is killer!

Are you talking about this one? I didn't use it on my Speed Demon build. I changed it out for a Monark paisley chainring.

1654989882867.png

Much nicer IMO. Swoopy but not lunging simitars.

By the way, when I said to double the straight bars maybe I wasn’t clear that I was only talking about adding a second crossbar to ones like these.

And make them both thinner.

496797F6-B0B3-4CED-9EEF-13351DE37062.jpeg

Or instead of two bars, a cross panel stamped out & dimpled.

I'm just catching up with the build off. For someone who was going to start this thing late, you're 9 pages into this thing! Looking good as usual!

I'm just catching up with the build off. For someone who was going to start this thing late, you're 9 pages into this thing! Looking good as usual!

:D :D But only half of those pages are since I got back. Lot's of vacation chatter mixed in my thread for sure.
My mind had been thinking of one direction for this, but after seeing wheels, forks, and bars together, the combination of the parts has my brain thinking differently. We'll see where it ends up? Haven't really done much with it yet.

Latest posts

Back