πŸπŸ—πŸ‘πŸ• π”π§πœπ₯𝐞 π’π­π«πžπ­πœπ‘ 𝐂𝐨π₯𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐗𝐋𝐖𝐁 - BO17 Build Journal - Finished in 3rd Place - 1937 Uncle Stretch Colson XLWB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put the fork leg caps on. I was thinking about using the GT Piston stem that I have, but forgot that my current bars ar 1", so I switched to a short throw Ruff Spank stem.

20220704_172444.jpg
20220704_172451.jpg
20220704_172509.jpg
20220704_172530.jpg
20220704_172630.jpg

Also took the time to do a better mockup of the long chainguard.

20220704_172831.jpg
20220704_172839.jpg

Got a chance to ride this beast tonight, it like riding a couch! Super comfy those big tires, the fork suspension is nice, and that Phat saddle all together is like floating. Gonna be an awesome bike when it’s finished

LOOKING GOOD BROTHER!! NOW WHERE'S MY SAMMICH?!? PEACE

There is the man, the myth, the ninja master! Glad you are ready to jump in our 12th build off in a row together!
I've been low-carbing for almost a year now, so no SAMMICHes for me. Throw a big pile of that pork on a plate for me though!!! All I need are my fingers to eat up that good stuff.

1656997730860.png

Got a chance to ride this beast tonight, it like riding a couch! Super comfy those big tires, the fork suspension is nice, and that Phat saddle all together is like floating. Gonna be an awesome bike when it’s finished

Glad I got the fork work done in time to ride tonight. That was definitely a shakedown cruise rolling down the length of the River Street cobblestones.

I managed to get this out of focus "cockpit" photo.

1656997981483.jpeg

Here are a few of the fireworks pics

1656998011651.jpeg
1656998030663.jpeg
1656998052061.jpeg
1656998073422.jpeg
1656998089743.jpeg

I do enjoy watching this and then read a bit of context about that. I have never been to the USA but still curious, also about your holidays.
Every time I go to a country I like to read some history or context.

So I caught up with this build (many to go) and really like this one! Like you mentioned in my thread, I see you have the origin8 rims. Mine seem the same, but I could not find a brand yet. I will measure the width next time I am working in the shed!

Plus I like that chainguard on there!
Does it get dimples too? :grin:

(Edit) what about that shifter on the chainstay, near the rear axle? Like a kick shifter (gentle kick shifter)

The 4th Of July is our Independence Day. The day that we signed our Declaration of Indepence from the King George back in 1776. It's a time of grilling, drinking, outdoor games and fireworks,,,,LOTS of FIREWORKS!! It's not unusual for many Americans to fly a flag year round, but for the 4th, you'll see many more flags, bunting on railings, red-white-and blue everything, everywhere. It's a happy, fun, and proud holiday.

I love the smooth profile of these double while chubby wheels. Mine were built up by @ind-chuckz for me back in 2016, and I am just now using them for the first time. These are 65mm rims, 10 gauge spokes, high front flange hub and nexus3 rear hub. I think they fit this frame and these 26x3 tires perfectly.

1656998945056.png

I'm really digging the long chainguard so far too. Can't wait to do better mockups with it. Haven't even thought about dimples on it, even though we have more dimples than a Shirley Temple movie in BO17 :D .

I'm not a big fan of shifters on the seat or chain stays for my personal rides. I like the way they look back there on others' builds, but they just aren't practical for me. I did some faux shifting with mine tonight during the fireworks ride I had with @Dr. Tankenstein and a bike bud of ours. It was very easy and natural.

Thanks for the feedback and for checking out my build.

You have it under control. Good method.

My old man would be like are you using good tape for that.

I was very pleased with the cutting method. After measuring the fork leg lengths above the middle plate, I determined that I needed to put the forks back in the clamping table and shave another 1 or 2 mm off of one of the tubes. It went well and accurate too.

Foil tape has been my go to throughout most of the 12 build offs I've been in. Mostly for mockup placement, but it really comes in handy.

I didn't realise those crowns were so ornate!

Looks like your job got 'capped off' nicely!

Yeah, Anthony Hobbs (aka TinMachine aka FlyingMachine) doesn't skimp on the components and machining for his forks and frames. These forks really are beautiful works of art.

I didn't know Kroger had that no sugar root beer πŸ˜‚

It tastes good too. I still mostly drink water, but I'll have one every now and then for flavor. :D
I still can't crack below the 200 pound mark (so close, but haven't yet), but I was 250-260 this time last year.
It hasn't been that hard to adjust to the lowcarb thing and watch calories too.

the rear triangle on that frame bothers me for some reason. it looks way to square compared to the flowing tubes in the front of the bike. maybe its the big forks and all drawing attention to the front that makes the back look slightly off to me.

The fireworks pics look great, nice background and interesting lighting, especially the one with the magenta sky. The balcony spectators look like paid actors/models. The only criticism I have is that ornate streetlamp behind the top tube. Nothing negative to say about the bike, totally enjoying your process as usual!

First year in many that I did not ride a bike through my neighborhood to see fireworks. I was too tired. But it's nice to see you did.

It tastes good too. I still mostly drink water, but I'll have one every now and then for flavor. :D
I still can't crack below the 200 pound mark (so close, but haven't yet), but I was 250-260 this time last year.
It hasn't been that hard to adjust to the lowcarb thing and watch calories too.
Good for you KF. I was about 250 ish back in 2016 coming off a long illness and had to change. My walking around weight is 185-195 which at 6'2 ain't bad. I wish I could have gotten by with just some dietary changes but it was stubborn. Really forced me to make a lot of changes and exercise was one I had been slacking on.

Keep going brotha. Riding in this weather is sure to strip a few pounds of water weight at least πŸ˜‚

the rear triangle on that frame bothers me for some reason. it looks way to square compared to the flowing tubes in the front of the bike. maybe its the big forks and all drawing attention to the front that makes the back look slightly off to me.

The rear end shape isn't much different than the old Colsons it was modeled after, but it is a little simpler design. We'll see if the fender helps tie it together. I think the chainguard helps tie the front and back together.

The fireworks pics look great, nice background and interesting lighting, especially the one with the magenta sky. The balcony spectators look like paid actors/models. The only criticism I have is that ornate streetlamp behind the top tube. Nothing negative to say about the bike, totally enjoying your process as usual!

Didn't have much choice in the location regarding photo staging. It's just the location we ended up at as the fireworks started going off. I'm lucky I had any space that people weren't standing at to view the show. :D

First year in many that I did not ride a bike through my neighborhood to see fireworks. I was too tired. But it's nice to see you did.

It was a fun ride. I've been down to the river many years on my bikes to watch the show. I still like this photo with VerBoten from a few years ago.

1657045569786.png

Latest posts

Back