1000watt Cyclone Crusier

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day Fellas...

Seeing there was so much positive response to my friend Matts Fat Giant Simple Cruiser worklog I thought i would share with you another of Matt's superb creations! This following build has gone through several "re-incarnations" it was originally built for a 66cc China Gurl motor before Matt decided electric was the better option and converted it. I have included the build from the start so you can all see how it has evolved from stink bike to environmentally friendly electric :) Matt started this build around the time the world economy hit rock bottom, as such the Aussie dollar was hovering around 60 cents to the green-back and EVERYTHING was expensive not the least Lifep04 batteries (WELL over a grand) When the dollar came up and made Lifep04 batteries more affordable ~800 dollars Matt grabbed 48v 20ah Headways pack and begun the process of converting the cruiser to electric, all this can be seen below....Enjoy-->

Below Matt details the build in his own words -->

I have quite a few donor bike in the work shop so raw materials weren't a prob. This frame has 4 donor bikes for tube and the stingray for wheels, forks, and handle bars, plus some lengths of 1"x 1.6mm tube.
I'll attach some photos that show the progress over the past 4 days, they are pretty self explanitary.

2049d1219157664-two-stroke-cruiser-spoilerwithengine.jpg

2050d1219157689-two-stroke-cruiser-donorbikes.jpg

2051d1219157714-two-stroke-cruiser-twostrokecruisermockup.jpg

2052d1219157741-two-stroke-cruiser-cruiser2.jpg

2053d1219157760-two-stroke-cruiser-cruiser3.jpg

2054d1219157964-two-stroke-cruiser-cruiser4.jpg

2055d1219158125-two-stroke-cruiser-cruiser1.jpg

2057d1219158171-two-stroke-cruiser-cruiser5.jpg

This is the most recent work I did tonight.
I hated the vibrations of the engine solidly mounted on the stingray so I came up with a idea to maybe smooth things out.
The blue mounts are suspension bushes.

2060d1219158613-two-stroke-cruiser-img_5208.jpg

2062d1219158641-two-stroke-cruiser-img_5210.jpg

The bike is finished and works brilliantly. The centrifical clutch, pull start and rear free wheel is awesome. Starts first pull, and it is so nice to coast almost silently without the drag of the chain.
Engine mounts work really well, a lot less vibration, and the engine doesn't wobble.
Cheers,

2247d1220085136-two-stroke-cruiser-fiinishedtwostroke1.jpg

2248d1220085158-two-stroke-cruiser-finishedtwostroke2.jpg

2249d1220085168-two-stroke-cruiser-finishedtwostroke3.jpg

2250d1220085180-two-stroke-cruiser-finishedtwostroke4.jpg

Changed the bars to something more suitable.

2279d1220235204-two-stroke-cruiser-newbars1.jpg

2280d1220235220-two-stroke-cruiser-newbars2.jpg

Rear mudgaurd installed.
Also changed the rear sprocket from 36t to 28t, great top end now.

2571d1221574853-two-stroke-cruiser-twostrokemg1.jpg

2572d1221574866-two-stroke-cruiser-twostrokemg2.jpg

I bought this 3 speed hub recently from US Choppers. I am going to run this in my cruiser rear wheel and drive it via a jack shaft. The jack shaft will be driven by the engine and/or a set of pedals that are soon to be installed. The jack shaft is made from the original single speed hub.
More to follow.

5457d1233998681-two-stroke-cruiser-finishedjackshaft1.jpg

5458d1233998706-two-stroke-cruiser-finishedjackshaft2.jpg

5459d1233998723-two-stroke-cruiser-finishedjackshaft3.jpg

5460d1233998738-two-stroke-cruiser-finishedjackshaft4.jpg

Ok this is my second bike build using my Cyclone brushless 1000w.
The first was powered with 4 x 20Ah SLA's. Seen here;

IMG_5212.jpg

For this build I'm using the frame from the two stroke powered bike below;

twostrokeMG1.jpg

Here are some early mockup photos, showing the location of the motor, 48V 20Ah Headway battery, and the controller:

evcruiser1.jpg

evcruiser2.jpg

evcruiser3.jpg

evcruiser4.jpg

I made and fitted a battery tray today, using equal angle and square tube.

battray1.jpg

battray2.jpg

battray3.jpg

battray4.jpg

battray5.jpg

battray6.jpg

Here are some photos of the rear pulley drive I fabricated using a standard 10" V belt pulley and a offset rear sprocket.
The plan is to use a GT toothed belt with this flat pulley.
Toothed pulleys this large are not available "of the shelf" and on the advice of recumpence (Matt) there should be enough belt contact for a flat pulley to work.

pulley.jpg

pulley1.jpg

pulley2.jpg

pulley3.jpg

pulley4.jpg

pulley6.jpg

The motor is now mounted and allined with the rear pulley.

evcruiser5.jpg

Purchased this belt tensioner and installed a skate board wheel.

evcruiser6.jpg

This is probably where the tensioner will be mounted.

evcruiser7.jpg

I made some timber battery/motor covers out of 3mm ply wood today.

cruiser10.jpg

cruiser11.jpg

cruiser12.jpg

cruiser13.jpg

The open front will allow air cooling for the motor and the controller which will sit on top of the battery.
These covers will be clear coated probably with a satin finish.

Had some progress recently.
I have taken it for two small test runs and I like it alot, especially the LiFePO4 battery.
I have got a fair bit of belt slip on the rear smooth pulley. I am using a 9mm belt for testing as the 15mm is out of stock. The 15mm may just give it enough grip.
The bike does work though, I just have to roll on the throttle slowly. I have easily done 60kmh today, so it feels good.
The wood panels are not finished yet, they will have an oil finish, so a little darker than now and they are not all bolted down properly yet.
The frame has to go for powder coating, not sure what colour to go with.
Here are some photos.

evcruiser12.jpg

evcruiser13.jpg

evcruiser14.jpg

evcruiser15.jpg

I tried JEB's idea of using epoxy to create some teeth on my rear pulley.
The results are looking very promising,

pulley7.jpg

pulley8.jpg

pulley9.jpg

pulley10.jpg

pulley11.jpg

I used mold release that was given to me by AussieJester, the belt was given
two coats prior to the two part epoxy being applied to the pulley and the belt,
when set the belt simply peeled off!

I have reassembled the bike tonight and had a very small test run, small due to rain, and the belt seems to run very smoothly with no slip.

Here are some photos of the bike ready for test rides, when it stops raining.
The frame needs to be stripped and powder coated, colour I am not sure, maybe red.
The wood panels are going to be a black carbon fiber finish.

evcruiser16.jpg

evcruiser17.jpg

I just got back from a 26km test ride. I am breaking the battery in at the moment, so not going too far, I used 9Ah.
Couldn't be happier, the bike is super quiet, has loads of pickup, and cruises nicely between 35 to 40kmh.
I am sold on LiFePo4 and belt drive. The weather is very mild here at the moment, so I have had no heat issues. I don't expect any even when it warms up, as there is a nice passage way on the inside of each of the panels where they bow out away from the battery. Also air can contact the motor from the underside of the frame. The contoller has been nice and cool sitting up on top of the battery, the front is nice and open with the panels scoopping a lot of air on to the controller and around the sides.
I am leaning towards a red powder coat colour for the frame with the black carbon fiber panels.
I have now done about 100km of testing, max speed 60kmh, with no issues, so I think the pull down and repaint will be soon.

I was at the powder coaters today and discovered that they had a new candy blue colour available.
I like it better than the red that I was going to get.
So here is the finished frame.

evcruiserframe2.jpg

evcruiserframe1.jpg

Ok my cruiser is pretty much finished.
I have gone for a carbon fiber finish on the covers and a candy blue powder on the frame. The paint looks heaps better to the naked eye, the blue is over the top of a silver base and looks brilliant.
Here are some photos

evcruiser18.jpg

evcruiser19.jpg

evcruiser20.jpg

evcruiser21.jpg

That completes Matts side of the worklog, I had the following to add to it
after Matt and i went for a ride-->

Matt bought his crusier up my way today for a ride about the hills, we also marked out a 100meter run to see how the cruiser accelerates. I captured all this on video!

100m Accelration Test

I thought it would have been a lil quicker but considering Matt is still using a COMPLETELY stock cyclone controller with 40amp max? Its a pretty decent effort IMO...Next Matt...Kelly controller? THEN lookout!

...excellent stuff none the less Matt SUPER impressive build and so freakin quiet i couldnt belieeeeeve it TOTALLY SILENT guys Hub motor owners EAT YOUR HEART OUT 3 speed and SILENT muahahaha

EDIT: Correction the Cyclone Speed Controller is 35amp max not 40amp as per reported above.

Second Video shows the hill climbing ability of Matts cruiser, at this stage of the ride my trike literally had smoke coming from the motor (check my thread for video of that LoL) It was a blessing in disguise though it gives you all an indication of the hills i deal with where i live.

Hill Climb Test

Matt hit the bottom at ~50km/hr pulling over the top at an impressive 31km/hr!

Good stuff buddy :)

OK..hope you fellas enjoy this build, the only thing i can add is it looks BETTER in person than the pictures, pretty much always the way with quality builds though... :)

Latest posts

Back