"120 tooth MINI-VELO"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised we have no head slap smilie...
but we do have a dancing banana...

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

You do have the coolest stuff for yard art!

Carl.

Started planning on the Aero bars today, I learnt that the bars I have made so far are called pursuit bars and the front tuck bars are called aero bars.

Cut up two more handlebars and found some MTB barends to use for the adjustable mounting arrangement:

12669055714_cca6682050_z.jpg

Here is roughly where they will end up:

12669068764_35e02b9d10_z.jpg

I realised that my pics so far on the bars did not really give a sense of how they are shaped, so here are a couple more from different angles, eventually I will replace the current brake levers with some proper bar end ones:

12668716943_1441e9c1dc_z.jpg

12668715923_30712e3e17_z.jpg

^^^You can really see how streamlined they are thanks to the pool fencing in that pic!^^^

While trimming the donor bars up for length, I needed to find a way of finding the point where the bars expanded in the centre so I could maximise the length of the straight piece I could use, looking around I noticed a cutting disc and it suddenly popped into my head that they have a 22mm bore, handlebars are 22mm... :39: Slipped it on and slid it up until it stopped moving and marked the cut right there! :thumbsup:

12669056614_7882cbb982_z.jpg

Going to remember that for future reference!

Luke.

Ohh got it. Looked a little closer now and notice that. I thought they where square pads for your elbows but couldn't figure out how you'd hold on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the aero-bars done! I made them over long so I could get the length right after a few test rides and trim the excess off, turned out with my height and arm length I needed all of the length, plus had to move the seat back and raise the elbow pads up off the bars to accommodate the lack of flexibility in my back.

Never ridden aero-bars before, they are a very different feeling to what I am used to, there is no doubt they feel fast though! Not sure if they will stay permanently on the bike, I will use them occasionally but I think they will be removed for normal riding, which means I need to figure a way to make the elbow pad mounts removable, at the moment they are tack welded to the top of the pursuit bars.

Anyway, on to the photos!

12742125975_5c50eaf258_z.jpg

12742118835_9283400cdf_z.jpg

12742260733_f219e53224_z.jpg

And of course there is a video! It is still currently uploading to YouTube though so I will update when done, the video also has a standing start on it for those that asked, however the bike is still running the 120-18 ratio as my 20 tooth freewheel has yet to arrive, so it is not the quickest or easiest start... ;)

Luke.

Video is up!

I didn't realise how dark the video is at the start and finish due to the sun setting, I will get a better one for the next change whatever that is, it should be the 20 tooth freewheel which is meant to be here tomorrow.

Really interesting that it seems like I am travelling slow just because you get used to a more rapid pedal action, but I can assure you it is going pretty hard on the video, ignore the pedalling and focus on the bike and surroundings and you can see it.

Luke.

This is just an insanely cool design!!! Bravo!

Think I have worked out how to make the elbow pads removable, so should be able to get that done this afternoon/evening after it cools off!

Then, just switch out the rear wheel once the freewheel is here, strip the paint, paint some other bits and one more thing I want to make and it is done!

Luke.

What do we have 3-4 days? I keep getting mixed up with the time difference...

Luke.
It should be the 25th there now and the end of the 24th here in the States. Four days for you now and 4 for us in the AM (PM your time).

Confused yet :D well I can understand as I use to be but being married to a Filipino beauty cures that.

Still raining, had a small gap where I was able to get some planning done. Got some plans to make a slightly lucky 7 style seat post so I can get the seat another 1/2" further back and also worked out what length brake cables I will need. All important stuff that needs doing, but would rather be building the stuff than planning it...

Also been stripping the cover back on the seat while I am trapped inside, it is an older Italian Vetta Gel racing seat but the glue holding the vinyl cover on has let go, so stripped it, cleaned it and now just waiting for it to dry before re-gluing it.

Just checked the weather service after noticing a large dark storm front approaching, found this:

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING for DAMAGING WIND, HEAVY RAINFALL and LARGE HAILSTONES.
For people in the North East, West and South Gippsland and parts of the East Gippsland and Northern Country Forecast Districts.

We are still in summer here, what is going on? o_O

Guess I wont be doing much more work today... :(

Luke.

Latest posts

Back