"120 tooth MINI-VELO"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Storm passed without incident, hopefully some progress tomorrow!

Love the video especially the riding shoes, stylin mate!

The Aussie safety boot! I normally wear my Chuck Taylors for riding, but it was only a short ride and I couldn't be bothered... Will end up getting a set of these for it:

12767501374_f38bd1d0e8_z.jpg

And probably a pair of these in 20x1.65:

12767535954_8a0eab3d46_o.jpg

Nothing wrong with the homemade slicks, but for the sort of speeds the bike is probably capable of and my weight, something with some tread and capable of running 100psi would probably be a smart idea.

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-267-roamer

These extras won't make it on to the bike before the build-off ends though, this build-off I am trying to do as low budget as possible, other expenses (wife's dental mainly) have made a huge dent in the bike fund. The bike is so cool though, and so nice to ride I think it may become my main rider, and we will soon have the money for these extras, maybe even some powdercoat in the future somewhere if I decide to head that way...

Luke.

Elbow pad is what I was specifically asking about. I love that bare metal on the bars. But not sure how they look in person with the welds and all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks pretty good as it is actually, eventually the bars, cranks, sprocket and seat post will get powdercoated black I think... Still not sure on the frame color?

The wing will not be covered, I have normal cut down grips for the pursuit bars, the bar tape is for the aero bars.

Luke.

Big day today, had some important things to do this morning, but came free by lunch, dropped by the LBS to have one final check to see if my 20 tooth freewheel had come in, (Today is Friday over here, so last chance for it to arrive before the deadline.) thankfully it had arrived just this morning, picked up a long rear brake cable too, this thing requires some serious cable length to route the cables back through the bars!

Was not feeling too good but after some lunch and some cloud cover came over I got out there and started work, pretty much done on the welding/grinding at this point, still have to disassemble the bike, strip the paint and reassemble before the finished pics and ride videos can be done though, so big day tomorrow!

Main thing today was fitting the rear wheel which required some finessing to get the clearances right and still keeping a good chainline, this is the first time it has had a single speed freewheel on it, so I had to put a thinner cone locknut on the driveside to move the hub across, but had to be careful to not move it too far so that the tire touched the chainstay...o_O

Then moved on to the stepback seatpost and a little extra thing I have been planning:

12829644393_58fd76f237_z.jpg

So here is the bike as it sits, ready to be blown apart tomorrow and wirebrushed to bare steel...

12829577015_c9c5c16667_z.jpg

Luke.

Looking good, Luke. :113:

As a matter of interest... how long was that brake cable you mentioned? I got a cable yesterday at the LBS and it is too short too reach the back wheel. I think it's the only length he stocks there so I might have to make some sort of extension for it.

Can't wait to see yours naked ;)

Glen.

PS: Did you see the Kiwi cyclists do well at the World championships in Colombia...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11211460

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11210904

I saw them pursuit bars and thought of yours :D

Looking good, Luke. :113:

As a matter of interest... how long was that brake cable you mentioned? I got a cable yesterday at the LBS and it is too short too reach the back wheel. I think it's the only length he stocks there so I might have to make some sort of extension for it.

Can't wait to see yours naked ;)

Glen.

PS: Did you see the Kiwi cyclists do well at the World championships in Colombia...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11211460

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11210904

I saw them pursuit bars and thought of yours :D
I got a 2 meter cable, the only one they had longer than that was a tandem one, and it cost a fair bit more. I did extend one on the "50 Years" muscle bike if you are looking for one idea of how it can be done, I am sure there are other and probably better ideas out there...

I have yet to read the articles, I will do so now...

Luke.

You need a Dark Helmet to match the Schwartz of the chainring.

Prepare for ludicrous speed
dark-helmet-spaceballs-5795.jpg

Ah King! The King of the movie quotes!
You know Luke that bike of yours is really starting to grow on me. I think going the route of a single speed was the best thing you did with that LARGE chain ring.

Keep it up.
Thanks Drac, totally agree, there was just too much going on with the multi speed set up on such a small bike.

Luke.

Ah King! The King of the movie quotes!

Thanks Drac, totally agree, there was just too much going on with the multi speed set up on such a small bike.

Luke.
With what most would consider a normal size chain ring you can get away with multi speed gearing.

Such as on the Mini Velo I have.
aqesezy2.jpg

The last of the welding and grinding is done! :banana::banana::banana:

Got it mostly blown apart and ready for stripping! Check the length of that chain, super long for a single speeder, remember I am over 6'4":

12848515935_bab1015581_z.jpg

:grin:

Luke.

My lbs cuts brake cables to length. They have super long spools of both cable and the insulation in all sorts of colors and they just pull out the needed amount and cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back