'13 Kos Kruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kosn2.jpg

Went out for a skid and a few hops on the Kos earlier tonight. The Hookworms are great tyres. They work well on or off pavement and for such big balloons the bike turns really quickly. They are made for the big hits too.
kosn1.jpg

So far changed Handlebars, saddle, seat post, chain wheel, chain, grips, tyres, added chain tensioners, and a bunch of stickers.
The lights are LED with rubber strap mount for whatever bike I'm using that night. It's a fun ride that can take a bit of abuse.
kosn4.jpg

This is it in Track Mode with pads, plate and Halo H Block rubber - which I like and are are good for dirt and off road. Too buzzy for much pavement use though.
kosn5.jpg

kosn7.jpg

And Stock - The day I bought it with quite aggressive knobbies that I ended up putting on my MTB for off roading.
kosn6.jpg

Stock Specs:

Frame: 26" Kruiser 100% 4130 Chromoly Double-Butted 22.75" Top Tube

Fork: Full Chromoly Kruiser, 1 1/8"

Crank: Full Chromoly 48-spline 3-piece tubular 175mm

Bottom Bracket: Sealed, Euro, 19mm

Cog Set: ACS Crossfire Chromoly 18t freewheel

Chain: KMC Z510HX

Front Derailleur: N/A

Rear Derailleur: N/A

Wheels Size: 928

Rims: Sun Rhyno Lite XL doublewall 36 Hole

Hubs: Pro-Class "Son-Lite" Alloy with 3/8" chromoly axle, sealed bearing, 36 Hole

Rear Hub: Pro-Class "Son-Lite" Alloy with 3/8" chromoly axle, sealed bearing, 36 Hole

Tires: Carlisle Aggressor 26 x 2.5 (F) 26 x 2.1 (R) (Which is not what it came with - both were 2.5")

Pedals: Alloy DX Platform

Brake: Avid Single Digit 3 V-Brake

Handlebar: Full Chromoly 7.1" Rise

Stem: Top Load double-clamp 50mm reach

Headset: Tange Threadless integrated sealed, 1 1/8"

Brake Levers: F&R Avid FR5

Crankset Chainwheel: 40t alloy _Motomag_ design

Spokes: 14G Stainless

Grips: BMX Products mongoose "Factory Grips", mongoose Californian Padset

Saddle: Viscount Padded

Seat Post: Chromoly, 27.2 x 350

Headtube angle:
Seattube angle:
Toptube length:
Headtube size:
1-1/8"

Last edited:
Yeah - I know - the Halos look great - my preference looks-wise too. But at the moment I ride it off tarmac very little and I'm a bit spoiled by the Thick Slicks on my STR and the Halo H-Blocks that I currently have on the Kona conversion. Both are very smooth rolling rubber like the Hookworms. Going back to a knobby on the bike paths feels a lot more 'buzzy' than it normally would after time on the slicks and road oriented rubber.

I had a slow leak in the front (Maxxis hookworm) tyre.
I really like the way the Hookworms ride, they are very smooth rollers with great feel, but boy, that big wire bead is a ^@%# to break for fixing a puncture etc.
I busted two plastic tyre levers getting the front off and had to resort to my metal motorcycle levers - which aren't kind to the painted rims - to get the repair job done.

So I ordered some Halo Twin Rail rubber like I have on my Kona MTB convert.
They are similar looking to the white H-blocks that I had on this bike previously - but they are a more road oriented tyre that rolls almost as smoothly as the Hookworms - but still has a deeper side tread for when you do go off pavement. They are an excellent compromise - with a puncture resistant layer too.

kos417.jpg

Latest posts

Back