16" Higgins Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This won't be a true build post as I've finished the bike before starting the post, but I did take some shots along the way and will post some now. I put this together for one of my nephews. I did another one a few years ago for a different nephew and he's really into the bike so hopefully this will be loved also.

I started with a postwar 16" Higgins that had been repainted. I kept the repaint as I really like old repaints quite a bit.

This has to be the heaviest little bike I've had. I've always thought of the Higgins as a lighter quality bike but this frame is a real tank. The forks aren't so great though. :(

Here are a few shots of the bike broken down. I ended up using some different parts, the rear hub, pedals and seat are different from what I started with, and I used new forks as the originals were not salvageable.

The smalls. Super beefy and cool little dogleg crank.

Frame cleaned up good enough for me.

I went with a 20" fork, both because I had one and because I would have loved that when I was a little kid. And got some new rims and had them powdercoated as the old rims were for solid tires.

I found a large headbadge that just barely fit, and added a little "T" dart on the fork. I think I'm too old to learn how to pinstripe BTW.

And some finished shots.

And a test ride before it ships off.

Latest posts

Back