1890's Overman Victor Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my Victor last night! Still trying to identify the year and confirm if this is a "Flyer". From what I can tell from research, this is a mid 1890's bike with crank assembly from an early 1900's Eagle. The Spoon brake, bar, stem and seat are original and I believe wheels are as well. It sadly has been repainted, but I'm being told there are ways to carefully remove that paint and reveal its original paint. Check out the pics! Please let me know if you have any info on these bikes and more importantly have suggestions on how to preserve/restore it. Thanks Rat Rod Crew!
IMG_3218.jpeg
IMG_3211.jpeg
IMG_3215.jpeg
IMG_3214.jpeg
IMG_3213.jpeg
IMG_3216.jpeg
IMG_3221.jpeg
IMG_3226.jpeg
IMG_3227.jpeg
IMG_3230.jpeg
IMG_3236.jpeg
IMG_3231.jpeg
IMG_3237.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3212.jpeg
    IMG_3212.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3229.jpeg
    IMG_3229.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 72
Also, the brake lever is some Rat Rod special that a farmer made from plumbing parts. Found something that will work better and look closer to the original on eBay.

Great score! Parts for these TOC bikes get stupid pricey so getting a mostly complete bike is excellent. TRM here at RRB has some great looking Christy saddle repops.

I'm going to try the Xylene approach to paint removal soon on my '53 Schwinn. I need to motivate my behind to Lowes and get a can. I'll post up the results if it works.

Great score! Parts for these TOC bikes get stupid pricey so getting a mostly complete bike is excellent. TRM here at RRB has some great looking Christy saddle repops.

I'm going to try the Xylene approach to paint removal soon on my '53 Schwinn. I need to motivate my behind to Lowes and get a can. I'll post up the results if it works.

I was told denatured and 0000 steel wool should do the trick to remove the red paint Going to spot test now.

So my test with denatured and 0000 steel wool tuned into me removing most of the repainted red. In most places, it came off really easily. Some spots needing a bit more time gently rubbing with the steel wool. Hardest parts are the corners and nooks. Only downfall is that some of the red slightly remains where the original paint was gone and steel showing. Guess that will be part of the final patina. Hoping to finish removing today and then linseed the whole thing.

So my test with denatured and 0000 steel wool tuned into me removing most of the repainted red. In most places, it came off really easily. Some spots needing a bit more time gently rubbing with the steel wool. Hardest parts are the corners and nooks. Only downfall is that some of the red slightly remains where the original paint was gone and steel showing. Guess that will be part of the final patina. Hoping to finish removing today and then linseed the whole thing.
Cool, that's good to know. I'll give it a try before doing the harsher solvent.

I love these old bikes! If you haven't tried The CABE yet, they're generally not as friendly, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on there. Too bad about the repaint as there was likely some nice pinstriping on there originally (whatever might have been left of it).

I love these old bikes! If you haven't tried The CABE yet, they're generally not as friendly, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on there. Too bad about the repaint as there was likely some nice pinstriping on there originally (whatever might have been left of it).

Thanks! Will check them out.

I’m guessing the repaint was done in the 60s or 70s. After taking it off, I found a few small spots of what looks like pin striping and decorative work. Looks like it was a cream color. Also realize this originally had an oil lamp on the front and “coasting pegs” that were removed. I know because there were spots where the repaint was missing that line up with where those items would have been mounted.

Here is where I’m at after 2 days.
9E08C354-3A68-4BB8-A0A2-658A4BC5CD8C.jpeg
C7F54156-575B-4C29-8F68-E3D6BE726E1A.jpeg

Wow!

Latest posts

Back