• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1935 Shelby Western Flyer Raiders Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently completed Oakland (that's right, Oakland!) Raiders 1935 Shelby Western Flyer ridden by Al Davis before he bought his first Harley (this is a lie) and recently discovered in an abandoned barn near the gates of heck (this could be true). This is a relatively rare Shelby in its own right, so it also has full restoration potential. It is one of the first 26 inch balloon bikes and was built during the transition from 28 inch tubular tired-bikes to the 26 inch clincher wheels with balloon tires. The bike is mostly complete with correct parts; however, the wheels pictured are Schwinn/Bendix from the 40s or 50s. I have the correct rear drop center steel wheel with New Departure hub and am waiting for the correct front rim from a friend, which will bring the bike to very near original condition. The front light is currently not working but I have an LED conversion kit that comes with the bike. Not original to the bike or period are the pedals, grips and saddle; however, if you are interested in a restoration project, I have those parts. I am asking $800 plus shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_2004.jpg
    IMG_2004.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2005.jpg
    IMG_2005.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2006.jpg
    IMG_2006.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 137
Let me get back with you in the morning. I have another chain guard like the one in the pics but painted over the one in the pics. There are a couple of other things I need to show you also, but nothing major. I had just decided to part it out. Check back with you tomorrow. Thanks, -Ralph

So, I used the 26 inch fork on that bike for another build and the only Shelby for I have for it is a 28 inch, which would work but raise your front slightly and is not accurate to the bike (the fork is from 1927). I also used the crank from that bike but have another Shelby crank from the period but it is a spider design. I was planning on parting the bike out, so if you want the parts, I can make it work as a functional bike. Only issue is the fork. Let me know - wish I had waited to tear it down.

Hi, I’m kind of new with vintage bicycles.. is it pretty noticeable the 28 inch difference?

Not much at all if you use the 28 inch for with a 26 inch wheel. If you are going true rat rod, I probably have a 26 inch fork that will work. It is a pretty rare bike/frame so eventually you may want to find the correct fork if you are interested in restoration. If you want the bike, we can work something out.

Got it, do you have one with springs suspension, for now ? And keep an eye for the correct one so I can buy it if i want to bring it back to original ??

Something like this? I don't have one, sold that bike, but could probably find one. They have black and chrome.

IMG_1601.jpg

Latest posts

Back