BO15 1936 BAGGI "CHAMPION OLYMPIQUE ET DU MONDE"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Nosferatu1381,

Great information! I had been trying to find any period European parts makers whose name started with "A" due to the possibility that the chainring had an "A" designed into it intentionally and was not just part of the "design". Now I'm down to the bar (no marks), stem ("Campione"), and freewheel ("Speciale") that have yet to be I.D.'d (at least with any documentation and/or imagery). I had been able to verify that all parts (except saddle, post, binder bolt) are original to the bike as purchased. Surprisingly, all bearings are in useable condition, and chain checked out okay also.
Careful cleaning of frame and components proceeds. Slight problem of "stains" from electrical tape that was used to secure the top tube brake cable. I don't understand why the cable guides are missing, but I have plenty in stock for replacements. Does anyone have any suggestions for removing electrical tape residue without damaging the paint? I have many solvents that will remove the tape residue, but will also remove the paint at the same time so not an optimal solution at this stage. There will still be plenty of blemishes on this frame, but I would like to get it as "pristine" looking as possible without sacrificing what has survived for 85 years.
Goo gone, i'll look for info on those other parts if I get a chance. Make it what you want. A build off with a deadline is just a good excuse to finish something nice for yourself and share the process. Plus these rat guys appreciate a patina rustoration

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1567127510120.jpg
    FB_IMG_1567127510120.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 107
  • FB_IMG_1567127514761.jpg
    FB_IMG_1567127514761.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Goo gone, i'll look for info on those other parts if I get a chance. Make it what you want. A build off with a deadline is just a good excuse to finish something nice for yourself and share the process. Plus these rat guys appreciate a patina rustoration
Thanks again! I'll see if the "Goo Gone" stuff works. I certainly appreciate any time you have spent, or will spend relating to my project.

Thanks again! I'll see if the "Goo Gone" stuff works. I certainly appreciate any time you have spent, or will spend relating to my project.
No worries man. I love the really really old bicycles. The factory is technically still there. Just dawned on me that building is 100 years old
64 Rue Lamartine La Clayette, Bourgogne-Franche-Comté

64 Rue Lamartine La Clayette, Bourgogne-Franche-Comté.png

Last edited:
It would seem at this time that I will not complete this during the required time frame due to some foolish people in Florida. Hospital work has taken priority (it always does!), and I need to sleep sometime for everyone's sake. Hopefully, things will slow down a bit and I can enjoy some free time to do my projects since this is one of many.

Continue to be safe. I have only one comment about the continuing situation regarding the virus: If you don't want to wear a mask; Fine! Those of us working in the OR will be happy to not wear masks, gloves, and gowns; nor will we use any antiseptic practices when prepping ourselves when we operate on YOU! Just tell us you don't think masks are important so we can prioritize those who do. Oh, now you think masks might be of benefit! Think about it; we are trying to keep you safe! Please do the same for others as well as yourself! Maintain "MEDICAL PHYSICAL" distance (it's not about being social folks); 6' is ridiculous; 20' is realistic regarding true safety.

Last edited:
I have managed to contact the original owner (thankfully still living), and have verified that the bike is a least a 1936 (possibly 1935) model. It was purchased for him by his parents in 1936. One mystery solved, now just trying to determine if any parts had been replaced through the years. I should be receiving my rims in the next week or two so time to get the old wheels torn apart unless I get word that the rims are still original, then I will keep it that way and use the "woodys" on another early frame set I'm working on.

Take care,
Jesper
It may have originally had wood rims. I have a similar, but French, bicycle from 1938 and it has alloy rims with tubular tires. it was around this time that alloy started replacing wood, perhaps around 1936, but I can’t remember. I can’t remember when alloy was allowed in the Tour de France but the first use was the new alloy Mavic rims that were painted to look like wood. The guy won’t by a big margin. If alloy, yours were probably Mavic and tubular. My 1931 racing bike has wood tubular rims. If you get replacement wood rims I would avoid the Sprinter Clincher rims. They are so narrow that the valve stem pushes the tire away from the rims and you have to use very low pressure. I have two other bikes with wider replacement clincher wood rims and they work fine.

It may have originally had wood rims. I have a similar, but French, bicycle from 1938 and it has alloy rims with tubular tires. it was around this time that alloy started replacing wood, perhaps around 1936, but I can’t remember. I can’t remember when alloy was allowed in the Tour de France but the first use was the new alloy Mavic rims that were painted to look like wood. The guy won’t by a big margin. If alloy, yours were probably Mavic and tubular. My 1931 racing bike has wood tubular rims. If you get replacement wood rims I would avoid the Sprinter Clincher rims. They are so narrow that the valve stem pushes the tire away from the rims and you have to use very low pressure. I have two other bikes with wider replacement clincher wood rims and they work fine.
Thank you for the info regarding wood and alloy rims. From what I have gathered; the steel Rigida "Deco C" rims are original. I have wooden rims I'm building; they are for tubs, I plan on running 21-23mm tires. I am waiting for my spokes for the wheels, and l'm still looking for a missing spring on the chain tensioner. Focus is distracted due to my work at this time. I haven't touched the bike in 3 weeks; although I have nearly finished another bike in the interim that I had everything in stock for.

Someone is telling me that is an August Sutter chainwheel. I am going to ask him to prove it and let you know
Thanks for the update! I have not been following the "build-off" due to the hospital work. It brings me back to where I started when trying to ID the chainwheel. I thought that the design might be related to the maker due to the possibility of a stylized "A" incorporated into the design; I have trouble seeing a discernable "S" to prop up this new possibility. I am almost ready to start reassembly after careful cleaning, but no wheels built up (original or new wood ones), and no tension spring for the derailleur. Maybe if I get some vacation time I can make it complete sans OE derailleur replaced with a 1940's Cyclo, Super Rapid, Rota, or Huret unit. Riding 4 bikes, selling 3, building 2, and admiring 1.

Last edited:
F*** me that thing is gorgeous. Awesome and fascinating to see the process of figuring out that derailleur and the origins of all these components. Please keep us updated!

Thanks for the update! I have not been following the "build-off" due to the hospital work. It brings me back to where I started when trying to ID the chainwheel. I thought that the design might be related to the maker due to the possibility of a stylized "A" incorporated into the design; I have trouble seeing a discernable "S" to prop up this new possibility. I am almost ready to start reassembly after careful cleaning, but no wheels built up (original or new wood ones), and no tension spring for the derailleur. Maybe if I get some vacation time I can make it complete sans OE derailleur replaced with a 1940's Cyclo, Super Rapid, Rota, or Huret unit. Riding 4 bikes, selling 3, building 2, and admiring 1.
Updates update, he deleted his comment in French after I called him out on it so who knows. Plus I made a few new friends for my European bikepacking tour

Updates update, he deleted his comment in French after I called him out on it so who knows.

I have seen a few A. Sutter bikes, one with an obvious "S" incorporated into the chainwheel design from the '40s.

Another example found on the same style bike is shown in the photo; I'm assuming that the chainwheel is original to the bike, probably '40s-'50s vintage. Although it is not an "A" per se, it is similar to mine sans the "-" of the "A".

By the way nice side car build; I did not vote since I did not complete my build. I'm trying to design something similar but extended to fit for my Colson tandem.

s-l400 (4).jpg

(photo credit: ebay seller: alliance_franco_thai_officiel)

Last edited:
I was thinking it might be like campy groups on Italian bikes. That chainwheel is commonly known as a Fonlupt though the way there are two different types of these chainwheels and one is common on a western Flyer and the other was an aftermarket parts in a wald bag

I've yet to see the "sea turtle crankset" on a bike! Must be rough riding with the handle bar spinning around!:) Seriously, nice bike art; what is the other "monstrosity" lurking in the background? Although I have mechanical skills, I have no background in welding/cutting fabrication (old bike parts have been turned into weapons and tools); wood on the other hand is more my forte. I plan on a balsa and/or pine wood extended "sleeper" sidecar body with articulating steel and/or aluminum frame underneath (of course from old bike frames), and possibly an additional crankset/motor assist if I can figure out a way to tie it into either the front or rear cranks, or maybe completely independent of the bike's drivetrain, but powering the car's wheel instead. That's after I've finished this antique racer, and I see that as a year long project for me the way the present situation is continuing to unfold. Heck, with my work I may not be wandering this mortal coil in a year; tomorrow is guaranteed to no one!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back