1937 ZEP / Hawthorne (Colson?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Decided to get off my butt and start building this frame up after over a year of it hanging in the garage. I bought it here from a fellow forum member, and have pretty much left it as is...dinged, dented, but solid. Probably keep it a pretty straightforward build, nothing fancy .

This is how I got the frame:

yre2yda2.jpg

It's got some cool details, and I LOVE the patina. I only wish the paint was still on it .

da4y6ura.jpg

upa5apy4.jpg

gu3ede2u.jpg

First iteration was in rust oxide primer with a satin clear....for me, the color just wasn't quite what I was going for.

ezusuhen.jpg

uzytu9e3.jpg

Ended up shooting it flat brown with a matte clear...definitely more of the direction I wanted to take this.

zy4ydape.jpg

She'll get whitewalls for sure, I'm on the fence over leaving the paint as it is or distressing it to reveal some of the rust primer and bare metal...then shooting matte clear over the whole thing...

Decisions, decisions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweet

very nice! love also patina on the original painting if it still there, but bare metal is not ugly iff its clearcoated for protection offcourse :thumbsup: otherwise you can go many ways with a bare frame. that choice you don't have with an original paint. at least i don't. keep up the good work sccs

Yeah, when I got the frame, it was pretty rough, the welds were pretty bad, so they didn't show well being raw. I have a Hawthorne hanging in my garage with an original skiptooth drivetrain and wheel set...unfortunately the paint was stipped by the previous owner...so it will be a raw steel/ clear coat job (but I'll have Maas Bros in Pleasanton powder coat it for durability).

I may end up selling this frame and fork...I just acquired a new custom from from a local frame maker ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you decide to sell this frame....I may be interested...looking for a frame to make a board tracker and think this style would be cool.....please pm

Latest posts

Back