1947? Schwinn DX Excelsior

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG0225-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Hey guys. I might be trading my DX for a new mountain bike. It's a 2013 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (stock). But I was hoping some of you could help me out in determining if this is a good deal for me or not. I feel like my bike should be worth more, but there is probably a little sentimental attachment as well. The trade is my bike for his PLUS I might give him an extra $100. He was asking $600 for the mountain bike. (Sorry the pic is terrible because of the lighting)

1947 Schwinn DX Excelsior
-Near perfect condition, small scratch on tank (restored-paint is black gloss powdercoat)
-horn works
-AS bolts on neck and fork bolt
-Scripted Schwinn seat post, grips, and front hub
-New Departure rear hub
-skip tooth
-Everything rotates and spins like butter - rides like a brand new bike
-Seat is a decent troxel syle (not sure of the brand)
-All of the chrome is perfect, no pitting
-Heavy duty spokes
-Excelsior head badge
-Also have large fenders that I removed (not original - spray painted)

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Is the tank an original? If this had the correct fenders painted at the same time, that would make all the difference. I think as it sits, it's a pretty on par trade for a 600$ value if the tank is original. Since it's not a 100% resto, that keeps the price ceiling down, but it's a great classic that can be ridden now, and would turn heads where ever it went.

Thanks for the replies. The guy got a cash offer for his and backed out at the last minute. Might be posting in the FOR SALE forum or I might just keep it. Guess I can always just go out and buy a new mountain bike, but I can't just pick up a Schwinn like that at the LBS. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back