1948 Schwinn "Project Motorbike" new pics!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally making progress on my motorbike project now that I got a welder. I gave it a mild 4" stretch. Here's a pic that I took a few days ago...the bottom of the frame is all buttoned up now and is looking nice and straight. I can't wait to get started on the tank.
005.jpg

Re: 1948 Schwinn "Project Motorbike"

mybike1 said:
. . . the bottom of the frame is all buttoned up now and is looking nice and straight.
Looks good so far 8)
Wanna see it now that you have the downtube finished. What's going behind the seat tube?

Well... slowly making progress.... I'll post up some more pics soon. Until then I need some advise. I'm running a grubee skyhawk motor and need to know what you guys think about the best rear hub/gear combos available out there.

002-2.jpg

oh the horror of it all. you cut up a 48 schwinn. shame on you. oh please do not show this bike to the schwinn folks. they will have a cow. LOL. great work. I like it. :wink:

Outlaw 8)

I like the stretch....what length is the toptube now (just seattube to head, forget ctr to ctr).
Regarding gearing: what do you like best, scratch off the line or boggy 'at speed'?

Run a Pirate's hub adapter with a 40t. With the stretch, you will need to pick up some #41 chain to make the distance. It comes on 10ft sections. You can find it at a Rural King or Tractor Supply. Looking good! Tank plans?

Love the smell of cutting old Schwinn frames in the morning ....smells like victory :lol:

This bike is SIIIIICK! love the lines, that extra few inches makes her look just stellar. Monarch springer tops it off. Definitely my favorite looking bike seen on the forum for a while. :D

Thanks for the positive comments guys, this is a fun project. Let me fill in some of the details on the build. Keep in mind, I'm no master craftsman so please excuse my "less than stellar" fabrication work :)

First off... It's a '48 Schwinn.. and yup, I'm pretty sure DX is the model. I found a Headbadge that is period correct... it's a "the World" Arnold Schwinn & Co. and looks great up front.
The front fork is Monark... well, most of it is. The complete front of it is original monark but the main park was bent so the black part is repo.
The bars that are on it now are off of a ladies Monark... I think '36.
The wheels are Schwinn S2's with Allstate tires, surprisingly in good condition.
the cranks and sprocket are off of a 70's girls 16" something-or-other.
The seat is an Ideal... don't remember where I got it.
The speedo is a Cadet made by Stewart Warner.
the rear kickstand is from an old Hawthorne.
More pics? here goes...
this is how I'm doin' the tank. I've decided to do an inner and outter tank.. this means there is a real tank between the frame and tank covers for the outside. The tank covers were from a Monark I think... They followed the lines of the Schwinn frame almost exact... and I gave each side a 4" stretch and made each side 1 1/4 wider.
019.jpg

yes... those are rust holes in the covers... thin old metal :(
020.jpg

and laying down the first coat of *Bondo-Glass*
017.jpg

And here's the inner tank... the real one... in the works.
018.jpg

Oh yeah... here's a pic of both covers mocked up and held there with a clamp... just so I could get a visual of what it may look like when finished.
012-1.jpg

Also, a little grinding on the motor fins is a nice look... and I hated to do it, but I desroyed an antique cast iron school bell to make my soon to be finished air filter :)
021.jpg

And a picture of how it looks right this moment with the tank covers just sitting there waiting for proper attachment.
025.jpg

I like my headlight but I think I found one a little bigger that would look nicer... Also, I plan on switching things over to a skip tooth drive... hopefully on both sides... I can't wait to finish the tank stuff and move onto the exhaust :) Wish me luck. I plan on having this thing on the road by spring... hopefully.

Latest posts

Back