1949 Girls Schwinn build questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright knowledgeable forum gurus....I'm looking to build a matching girls version of my recent Schwinn straight bar build for my wife. I have a perfect 26" 1949 blank Schwinn girls frame in original paint as the starting point, but I have a few questions. Did a '49 like this come with a skip tooth chain set-up? (I would rather not have to do skip tooth to save time and money here, but mostly curious) What size of front forks do I need for this? (are they the same as a boys version of similar year?) I have a nice set of truss rods already, but not apposed to a springer if I can find one reasonably. Thanks in advance for any and all help that anyone can offer!!

Jay H.

The frame...

image-2.jpeg

Howdy, Jay! The fork should be the same as a mens.
Not sure on the chainring being 1" or 1/2" pitch originally, but since you're building it up, go with whatever you prefer.
The 1/2" will be less $.
It appears that the frame is bent though. Might just be the picture, but the seat tube looks pushed back a bit, and the down tubes don't look quite right...?

The_Black_Monark said:
It appears that the frame is bent though. Might just be the picture, but the seat tube looks pushed back a bit, and the down tubes don't look quite right...?

You know what? You could be right! I'll have to put the frame in my stand and see if I can make out whether or not it's bent! Good catch! I just got the frame and hadn't looked that closely. Thanks for all the info!!!

Jay H.

Latest posts

Back