1952 Hornet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I didn't start this project with a build off in mind, I simply set out to build a cool vintage bike that I could cruise around town with my kids on. I never really thought to take pictures of my pile o parts before hand as this bike would have better served me as a boat anchor. After quite a bit of online hunting, pulling out favors, and digging through swap meet bins I was able to put together a pretty ratty looking rider. Well not quite a rider as it didn't have a seat, seat post, or clamp at this time. I had to fabricate my own seat post to fit my 52 frame on the lower while fitting updated seat guts on the upper... (They just didn't make a comfortable seat for a 6'3", 300 lb. man back in the day so newer saddle it is!!! I was able to ride my new found love for a few short weeks before my chain popped, Bummer because finding a new chain proved to be a harder task than I thought. I came across this site by accident looking for my skip tooth parts and thought it would be rally cool to join your build off. While I was waiting for my chain to come in the mail I decided to tear the bike down and completely redo her, most of my build pictures begin at around this time so my apologies to all those who started their photo diary from the gate!!!

I didn't start off with a cool name or cool theme to go with it, I knew that I loved the way the black and red phantoms looked and wanted to go with that color combo. I adopted the frame scallops from the phantom but put a rat rod twist by using gloss red over satin black instead of the normal gloss black. Pinstripes are very traditional as are the red hoops against big fat white walls. The head tube badge had most of its black and white paint gone so a polish was a natural way to go. From there I added all the polished brass hardware on the fender struts, chain guard etc. If you really look close the Cadillac emblem has brass in it as well! The tank and chain guard are both done in silver leaf, the chrome wings on the tank really spoke to me but they were wasted so I figured leaf would give just enough shine while staying within that hot rod look I wanted.

The Drive in speaker is one of my favorite elements of this bike as I have been collecting and restoring these speakers for a while now, The fins have been polished and kind of mirror the chrome springer coils, the chrome knob is a dash knob from a 1950 Oldsmobile Futuramic. I did the scallops on the sides in silver leaf and white stripes to tie into the leafing and stipes on the tank and chain guard. It really is cool to jam your favorite tunes while cruising down the block I left a link to a video of how it sounds so I hope you all take a minute to check it out!!!

Big Thanks to those of you who offered your help to a newbie trying to post pics etc best of luck to all!!!!

photo-22.jpg

Man thats a cool Ride!!! I like the Microphone accent8) :mrgreen:

Just got back from a 9 miler with the family, the 52 rode like a dream!!! Man this is what this build was all about for me!!! Now it's time to start building mama's 57 Hawthorne step through!!! I will start a new thread for her build, good luck to everyone in the build off and to those who spent a vote for my ride I tip my hat to you for having such good taste lol!!!

Latest posts

Back