1953 Schwinn Spitfire

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have this 1953 20" Scwhinn Spitfire (I believe that's what it is from Serial number and headbadge) that came in a bundle buy I purchased a few months ago. I'm trying to clear out some of my bikes, especially my "child" bikes, but I may keep this one IF I think I can restore it. It's really in rough shape, but I like rust.

Looks to be missing the following:
-no tubes/tires
-no front fender & rear fender doesn't seem to be original, it is short
-no truss rod (if this model even came with those)
-no horn on tank

It does have skip tooth chain rings, original Spitfire badge (almost totally faded away), New Departure rear hub and looks like the original color was that maroon/red.

Photos attached are not the greatest, but wanted to know if anyone would know about a rough range these are worth as is and/or value restored to be at least rideable again? Any help is appreciated.

20210806_135622.jpg

20210806_135630.jpg

20210806_135725.jpg

20210805_201510.jpg

20210805_201515.jpg

20210806_135613.jpg

-Mike

The cranks/sprocket aren't original to the frame.

Value questions like this are kind of a trap. With what you have there, it is unlikely that it will ever be worth what you put in it unless you have a really sweet parts stash :cool:.

The cranks/sprocket aren't original to the frame.

Value questions like this are kind of a trap. With what you have there, it is unlikely that it will ever be worth what you put in it unless you have a really sweet parts stash :cool:.
Thanks for the reply and info. I agree. I may just strip everything off, make it look good enough to sell and just part it out.

It's a great project if you know a kid that could use a bike. Might become a future RRBer down the road.

I got two grandkids on the way... I'd snap something like that up quick if it were in my area
Well, I usually keep things after I clean them so who knows. Haha

Latest posts

Back