1959 Columbia Jet Rider & 1966 Schwinn Panther & others

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Today I Finally had a Score that I read about on here all the time...
At a Car & Motorcycle Swap Meet here in Central Phoenix,(didn't even know about it ahead of time.. stumbled upon it a couple blocks from my house at The State Fair grounds) I figured there are usually bicycles and bike parts... so I went and checked.
I found this local lady she had some NICE bikes lined up for sale (Sorry I don't have pictures, I don't own a cell phone...). The best was a 40's Montgomery Ward Hawthorne, Tank, Fenders, Lights, Rack, EVERYTHING ORIGINAL, almost No Rust.... $800.00.... a bit outside my price range.
Long story short I see laying on the ground amongst assorted parts a Columbia "Jet Rider" minus wheels, seat, and rear fender or rack. I ask her "How much for the Columbia carcass ?", I'm expecting out of my range, (This is Phoenix, Bikes are Always Way Overpriced) she says "$40.00"....Huh...."That includes the beehive springer ?" YEP SURE DOES...

PICT4617.jpg

PICT4618.jpg

PICT4621.jpg

PICT4627.jpg

PICT4625.jpg

PICT4625edit.jpg

That last one I really do need your help, never seen it before... the tires are just ones I threw on it to stand up and take pics.
I dated it as a 1959...I'm in LOVE, I've never owned a straight bar bike an I love the fin on that chainguard.
So I'm looking at some other parts and talking to her, she'll hold the bike while I look around.
I picked up a few odds and ends, and come back to her. I ask about a Coppertone Schwinn Panther she has. A bit of "Patina", but mostly original and all there. She wants $220.00 can't go below $200.00, starts talking about "Parting it out". What a shame....keep talking and I offer a "Bundle Deal", (I love American Pickers). $200.00 for the Columbia and Schwinn, plus a few odds and end parts.
Cross my fingers.............. and here's what I made a 2nd trip to haul home (No car)....

PICT4628.jpg

PICT4629.jpg

PICT4631.jpg

PICT4634.jpg

As you can see it's missing one bullet reflector, which I have and will replace and the seat, while correct for the bike, is the wrong color....eh...
If anyone has the correct colored matching seat let me know, maybe we can work a deal.
Believe me when I tell you in Phoenix that is a steal. She was the nicest lady, she threw in some old handelbars I'd been interested in.

So that got me off my duff to finally post pics of a Flightliner I picked up a month ago, and my Dixie Flyer 40's Huffman I bought from Terry66 here on RRB, (Great guy to do business with). Here they are.....

PICT4637.jpg

PICT4636.jpg

PICT4641.jpg

PICT4638.jpg

(I replaced the rusted out bulbs for LEDs, and jury rigged some Blue LEDs for the missing taillight on the rack)

PICT4643.jpg

PICT4644.jpg

The handlebars are the ones the lady threw in in on my deal today.
I have the front fender for the Flightliner but am missing the underneath part of the steer tube where it screws in...

I'm Happy... and happy to share with you all........

Great score indeed! I'd have paid that any day of the week too. Inside the chainguard is actually a chain oiler! They were little spongy pads that you'd soak with oil and they would keep your chain nice and lubricated.

Also, I have a pair of correct pedals for that Columbia. Bow pedals with Columbia script on them. Pretty neat and decent shape with nice straight axles. For you--16$ shipped. Let me know if you'd be interested (sorry it's 1/3 what you paid for the bike but that was a price that is hard to compete with :lol: )

If those bars are what I think they are, they are pretty rare. I think they're off of a WW2 Westfield (Columbia) bike made for the US Government. Someone restoring one of those military bike would pay dearly for those bars.

By the way, your new Panther isn't a straight bar frame...it's a cantilever. 8)

Gary
westfield3-1.jpg

B607 said:
If those bars are what I think they are, they are pretty rare. I think they're off of a WW2 Westfield (Columbia) bike made for the US Government. Someone restoring one of those military bike would pay dearly for those bars.

By the way, your new Panther isn't a straight bar frame...it's a cantilever. 8)

Gary
Thanks for the heads up on the handlebars....

I was talking about the Columbia being a straight bar bike not the Panther....
Thanks Again

Awesome haul! :shock: You got the better deal on all of them :mrgreen:

That's a nice Columbia you got. The paint shines up great on them 8)

whoinphx said:
I was talking about the Columbia being a straight bar bike not the Panther....
Thanks Again

Oops! My bad, sorry. I have a vision problem...I only see Schwinns. :roll: Gary

Crassly said:
I have 2 of the coppertone S seats, but they aren't the best looking. I have heard you can use white vinyl paint on them but I've never tried it.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l58 ... /seats.jpg

I believe you can find seat stencils on ebay too! Also, it looks like the seat on the right is for a lightweight with the long, pinched nose like that :wink:

I know that this thread is really old but I was searching for 1959 Columbia paint colors and this thread showed up on my google search. A couple of things: In the first post, you ask "what is this thing?" It's a chain oiler. It has (had) felt like pads on it that you kept oiled and it was to keep your chain oiled as the chain passed between the two felt pieces. Secondly, if those were WWII handle bars, they would not have been chrome plated. EVERYTHING on a WWII bike was either OD green or black with the exception of some white paint used for unit designation. Still looking for paint chips.

"The handlebars are the ones the lady threw in in on my deal today.".....
First thing that came to mind was those are the rear set of handlebars off of a early two-seater bike.

Latest posts

Back