1959 Columbia torpedo any info?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this to build as a klunker but don't know much about them and don't want to ruin a bike that's all original if it's something worth keeping that way.

Attachments

• IMG_9741.JPG
    IMG_9741.JPG
    513.7 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_9739.JPG
    IMG_9739.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 253
That looks %90 original to me, maybe not the best option for a Klunker build but thats just my two cents.

Why not a good option? Just because it's in good shape?

Oh there's nothing wrong with using it for a Klunker build I just personally love original bikes and this one is nice, if I was going to build a Klunker I would use a ratty bike thats already been messed with.

If you have all the parts stored, you can always put it back as you found it, no harm done. Paint looks very good. The forks will probably need to be changed because of the size of the front axle, but that is probably part of a plan. Start with a bare frame with original paint. Add a springer or BMX fork, conversion to 3 piece cranks, alloy wheels, knobby tires, Brooks saddle, etc.
Build a klunker!

Ok I was just told by someone that because it's a middle weight bike it won't make a good klunker. Any opinions on this?

From an earlier build right here, a 59 Columbia middleweight. Other than being a little lighter, it should work fine, maybe you can't get a 3 inch tire in there, but 26 x 2.125 tires should fit no problem.
103_zpsb7cc54a9.jpg

Link to the thread:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/59-kolumbia-klunker-test-ride-and-done.72229/page-2
Awesome. That looks nice too. I definitely don't need a 3" tire. What do you think the biggest I could fit would be? It was hard to tell with the fender on how big the rear is so it looked ok. Thanks

Last edited:
Probably up to a 26 x 2.35. there are a lot of good off road 26" tires to choose from. 2.125 would be a sure thing. I would measure the widths of the stays and forks at the spots where the tire will be, and give enough room for a gap at either side.

Looking at the drop outs and the width of the triangle closer and I think I've given up. Going to look for a different frame.

Last edited:
That's a cool bike just as it is original with 1.75 tires.
Yeah it's cool but I'm going to have get rid of it and get a different frame. Too many bikes already. I bought it on eBay then picked it up so I couldn't not get it. I asked a lot of questions first and thought it was all good but I should have waited.

Latest posts

Back