Hellion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally picked up the right bearings for my steering headset. And my wife gifted me some awesome things for my birthday. A favorite artist Killer Acid, makes these great prints from Blotter Paper. Mmmhhmm. That what I say! The bike print was suppose to be a sticker, but they mailed the wrong item. My wife fessed up to them and they asked if she would PayPal an additional amount. No problem! They did us solid for being honest. And I would never diss an artist out of their goods or worth. Happy day! View attachment 197910View attachment 197911View attachment 197913
Cool art! It really has a R.Crumb blacklight poster 70s vibe to it.

Cool art! It really has a R.Crumb blacklight poster 70s vibe to it.
Man I love R Crumb. I have a couple of patches around somewhere. There are a few new artists like this that have crazy perspectives and amazing color choices.
5CEA40A9-BDEF-48E7-83E7-CD5EE3725BC9.jpeg

Crumb fan here. Stared at the Janis Joplin Cheap Thrills cover endlessly as a kid.

Putting in the work to make it happen:thumbsup: Appealing shape. Scale looks right.
How's tank clearance? I can't even have a console shifter without hitting my knees on any sized frame.

Crumb fan here. Stared at the Janis Joplin Cheap Thrills cover endlessly as a kid.

Putting in the work to make it happen:thumbsup: Appealing shape. Scale looks right.
How's tank clearance? I can't even have a console shifter without hitting my knees on any sized frame.
Thanks for checking it out! Album art largely inspires all my art interests. Tank clearance for knees on this bike, I think will be fine. I’m 5’8”. The springer tends to hit on each side of the tank but rather that than the frame. I could notch out an area for clearance but I’m fine with the turn radius as is. Clear tubing on the springer rails should keep damage low. I still can cut down, trim and add contours at this stage. One I get a smooth first coat, I will mock it up again. The scale I do like. It compliments the banana seat shape and width. It is much larger than a typical Schwinn tank. More like a Shelby tank. A good amount of room to showcase a paint scheme.

More progress on the tank. Since the Bondo cures quickly, I can get to sanding and this part is moving quickly. Painting will take a while since it will be done in several stages. Glad there is time. Going home to see my mom and clean out my storage. My bike parts are in there and I hope to save some money on this build, by sourcing what I have. Filling some low spots on the tank in a bit. It’s a rainy weekend so primer will have to wait.
A4D55C05-09CA-4E00-B3C9-976DDC5BEBAB.jpeg
EFD6A534-7C6C-4B14-945B-9298116A3044.jpeg

SHP, for my finishing the gaps and fills before and during sanding, I used this wood filler. It goes on smooth, and gets rock hard after a short time. Single swipes of it fills in cracks and low spots and keep it thin! It's like sanding stone when it hardens!

Much smoother and less bulky and sticky than the Bondo.
dap wood filler.jpg

SHP, for my finishing the gaps and fills before and during sanding, I used this wood filler. It goes on smooth, and gets rock hard after a short time. Single swipes of it fills in cracks and low spots and keep it thin! It's like sanding stone when it hardens!

Much smoother and less bulky and sticky than the Bondo. View attachment 198111
Thanks for the recommendation! I thought about using this but didn’t want to mix the media. I’m 50/50 on Dap products. Their caulk is infuriating to work with, though I have some interior exterior filler that I like. I’ll give this a shot sometime. 👍🏼

Looking great so far! I’ve always wanted to make a tank of some sort, this is really inspiring
Thanks for checking it out! I feel like “proving out” this medium called Sculpture Block is going to show the capability of the material. So far I am impressed. I can see cafe racer seats or at least structures for seats. Also adding flairs
03307BF5-12E0-4AF0-82DE-D79FFD858197.jpeg
or ribbing to fenders. I’m sure this material will take fiberglassing well. That’s the next test down the road.

I really dig the idea of scallops for your tank.

1656299497696.png

Trying to figure out a paint scheme for the tank. Scallops or Lace? Black on Red or Red on Black? Should I add off white accents to accompany items like the grips and mud flap? Here is the inspiration I’m drawing from. Any input is welcome and helpful. Tanks! View attachment 198080View attachment 198081View attachment 198082View attachment 198083View attachment 198085View attachment 198084View attachment 198086View attachment 198087View attachment 198088
I love me some scallops, but lace and fish scales are my all time favorite chopper paint jobs

Latest posts

Back