Hellion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you @Karate Chicken Industries. I will keep these in mind. The rear rim is getting a 3 speed hub and I would like the front to already be laced to a hub. I’ll let you know! Thanks again!
I'm on a wheelbuilding tear this weekend (my way to beat the heat or cold indoors) and could easily lace up a front with existing parts, including the option of "Schwinn Approved" steel small flange or aluminum high flange hubs. It would not be high performance, but would be great for a cruiser.

I added the Lindbergh propeller to the Hellion’s handle bars. I will upgrade the hardware since they do not fit well and do not appear to be original.
FF7F83BB-B044-4606-A77D-6358F7CA5003.jpeg
BE5B1F57-A4B2-4332-80BE-EBEFDDD6F32A.jpeg
33083374-D34C-4FC2-B0B7-915E5753EA1E.jpeg

I did a thing! You can do this thing too! This is my 3rd build off. My name is David Baker and recently changed my name here, since everyone else had cool names which were not birth given. I’ve been here long enough I decided to give back a little. In the future, I may just make the lifetime donation. I will definitely re-up next year. Here is some of what I have accomplished during my time on this forum.
A530D295-450A-4FA4-B8B9-EBF6C57FC35A.jpeg
950D5CE2-0A9F-4FA9-9EBA-032730EA1050.jpeg
A8398D60-6D3B-4901-9A5E-190AAE0333DD.jpeg
54FA22DE-B731-47D5-BF3C-7A4B625BD329.jpeg
90DCF104-4193-4BA7-A50A-A2380D76EBCD.jpeg
34A1C604-DF41-42BF-A5FD-D0A21863A311.jpeg

I was looking back at past build off’s and whoa!! Build off 10 had some tough competition. All bikes were impressive. I love digging in the archives here.

I don't know why, but for some reason that is one of my favorite build offs. :p:blush:

But there is soooooo much coolness hidden in the archives here. Going all the way back to the beginning. I love looking back through and reliving builds that happened in the past. "Oh yeah, I remember when he did that!" "Someone did something like that before, let me try and find it" "Whoa, I never saw that detail before!!" It's a blast.

I did a thing! You can do this thing too! This is my 3rd build off. My name is David Baker and recently changed my name here, since everyone else had cool names which were not birth given. I’ve been here long enough I decided to give back a little. In the future, I may just make the lifetime donation. I will definitely re-up next year. Here is some of what I have accomplished during my time on this forum. View attachment 196999View attachment 197000View attachment 196998View attachment 197001View attachment 197002View attachment 197003

Thanks for what you've added to RRB. It's a great fun place for sure.

Those tall Shimano shifters are great. I can't wait to see the devil head mocked up.

Whenever I see those tall clickshifters, I remember the megascore I got from ebay about 11 years ago. Some guy had this lot of 30 NOS ones on ebay, so I put in a bid, and was shocked when no one else bid against me. I recouped my investment after selling the 3rd one, then cleared well over $1K from the rest. Still one of my best ebay scores ever.

1655347076570.png

Those tall Shimano shifters are great. I can't wait to see the devil head mocked up.

Whenever I see those tall clickshifters, I remember the megascore I got from ebay about 11 years ago. Some guy had this lot of 30 NOS ones on ebay, so I put in a bid, and was shocked when no one else bid against me. I recouped my investment after selling the 3rd one, then cleared well over $1K from the rest. Still one of my best ebay scores ever.

View attachment 197039
Man what a hoard! I would have been giggling senselessly over a score like this! Beautiful score and one for the records books. If there were such a thing.

I don't know why, but for some reason that is one of my favorite build offs. :p:blush:

But there is soooooo much coolness hidden in the archives here. Going all the way back to the beginning. I love looking back through and reliving builds that happened in the past. "Oh yeah, I remember when he did that!" "Someone did something like that before, let me try and find it" "Whoa, I never saw that detail before!!" It's a blast.
You’ve linked me a few times to some amazing references of previous build off’s. Always appreciate it when you “dig” for others.

I tested the Minwax wood filler on the Sculpture Block. It bonded very well. The hardener doesn’t heat up much, which I thought may interfere with the foams integrity. Next I will try out some Bondo brand auto filler. It has a catalyst that may heat up a bit more. Then, if the Sculpture Block holds up, I will try fiberglassing. This could lead to other possibilities down the road such as mold making.
12E13B80-DF75-4DC3-95D7-2E0B3709FFCB.jpeg
122CB16F-EE64-4F28-917C-7787C257BCCE.jpeg

Last edited:
My experience with the Bondo brand auto filler last season on '53 Bel Airflow Shelby was that it does 'heat up', and you need to work fast with it because it sets up really quickly! That said, it shaped nicely (on my fiberglass, not foam) and was exactly what I needed to give my glass chain guard the stiffness and integrity that I was needing.

This page from my BO 16 build thread has a couple videos and some info on how I used wood filler and the Bondo quick set on my custom chain guard.

https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threa...7th-annual-oddjob-awards-pg-22.113622/page-16

My experience with the Bondo brand auto filler last season on '53 Bel Airflow Shelby was that it does 'heat up', and you need to work fast with it because it sets up really quickly! That said, it shaped nicely (on my fiberglass, not foam) and was exactly what I needed to give my glass chain guard the stiffness and integrity that I was needing.

This page from my BO 16 build thread has a couple videos and some info on how I used wood filler and the Bondo quick set on my custom chain guard.

https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threa...7th-annual-oddjob-awards-pg-22.113622/page-16
My past experiences are the same with Bondo. I really like how smooth it flows. I noticed, the more hardener you use the hotter the mix. I believe this foam is of the type that it shouldn’t break down when using epoxies or fillers. It is of an acrylic make up. I can’t wait to lay some fiberglass down on it. Probably for another time. I’m really impressed so far by the Sculpture Block. I might even make a custom rear reflector housing from it.

Glued up some Sculpture Block to the center buck. I hope to start forming it this weekend. Not sure where I’m heading with the design. Maybe Scallops. Maybe bat wing or bird wing styling. Possibly a recessed area like some bobber motorcycles with reversed panels. View attachment 197292View attachment 197293View attachment 197294
It looks really nice and clean. I'd say start small with your carving. You can always take away more, but you can't add to it....

I dig the pinstriping! This really has a classic 'rat muscle' look to it. Maybe research some black rat muscle cars for tank carving inspiration?

Cool build!

Back