1959 Western Flyer 'Golden Flyer'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This 1959 Western Flyer Golden Anniversary bike appears to have been rat rodded many years ago. It may have been someones attempt at building a Klunker, who knows? All of the unnecessary sheet metal was culled and the wheels where swapped for older drop center rims and Schwinn balloon tires. I believe the bars and stem may also be from a Schwinn and I'm not sure about the saddle. The drive line was converted over to a skip tooth chain ring, rear cog and chain. The rat trap springer has some cool looking original truss rods.

I like the brawny look of it!
1353-1450579546-bb61d0c3fc0e96f2e554f1e8c372b9d4.jpg

Somebody had one of those bikes around here on C/L. Very ratty shape and with all the rusted/bent doo dads (and typical poor seller pics - you cant really see the bike frame that well. I'm amazed, what a neat frame design.

Dig the fork, and it started out as a men's bike. Mounting one of your tanks might be tricky.

Dig the fork, and it started out as a men's bike. Mounting one of your tanks might be tricky.
It actually came with a bug eye tank when it was new.

Here's one that @Smoopy's restored.
img_4026.jpg

I haven't taken the time to actually look very closely at this bike after bringing it home a day and a half ago. After comparing it to the picture above, I noticed that the right side fork truss is bent on mine.

The longer I looked at it the better I like it! I think I might bend the other side to match instead of trying to straighten the bent side!:39:
1353-1450579546-bb61d0c3fc0e96f2e554f1e8c372b9d4.jpg

These are hard to find and were beautiful when new. What a shame to see one in that condition. At this point, with all the missing parts and the dents and rust, I say chop away and build what you want!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back