1962 AMF Roadmaster Sky Rider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see ya back. Maybe you could use a fender brace from a 24 inch bike, or even a 20 inch.
Diggin' the fork setup and waiting to see the final result, IF that ever happens. I'm constantly
thinking about moving parts from one frame/ride to another.
Spring is coming............

First time I've seen wingnuts used to hold fenders on...luckily nothing was rusted in place on this bike, so it all came apart pretty well.

I plan on using steel rod or tubing and making some handles and attach them using the holes on the side of the rear rack, so I can add on panniers/saddlebags.

Also for this being a (most likeley)resprayed frame, it looks pretty good...

With these wide peaked fenders, I should be able to fit in some chunkier tires than the 2.125 Duro diamonds I have now.

PS: What would you even call this colour? Gasoline green? Seafoam Green?

View attachment 145065

View attachment 145066View attachment 145068View attachment 145067
Faded Sea Foam Green. Looks like the color my 1961 Falcon from HS or my 1967 Triumph tr6 motorcycle. Back then it was ugly, now I like it.

Good to see ya back. Maybe you could use a fender brace from a 24 inch bike, or even a 20 inch.
Diggin' the fork setup and waiting to see the final result, IF that ever happens. I'm constantly
thinking about moving parts from one frame/ride to another.
Spring is coming............

Yea, wheels and fork came off my gold JC Higgins build. This was supposed to be a simple frame swap, lol. Though, y'know how it goes...

P_20200427_143803.jpg

Haha! I put my Skyrider on the back burner while I work on a new to me JC Higgins tank bike. I got it from @kirkthomas on the Cabe. Too cold and snowy to ride here......

First time I've seen wingnuts used to hold fenders on...luckily nothing was rusted in place on this bike, so it all came apart pretty well.

I plan on using steel rod or tubing and making some handles and attach them using the holes on the side of the rear rack, so I can add on panniers/saddlebags.

Also for this being a (most likeley)resprayed frame, it looks pretty good...

With these wide peaked fenders, I should be able to fit in some chunkier tires than the 2.125 Duro diamonds I have now.

PS: What would you even call this colour? Gasoline green? Seafoam Green?

View attachment 145065

View attachment 145066View attachment 145068View attachment 145067
Great looking Chainguard

Coming along. Fixed the front fender issue,, tightend down a lot of things, ran BLO on the fork and front fender as well, since I forgot about them. I also mocked up the shifter, not sure how high/low I want it yet, gonna reroute the cable down and below the BB and along the chain stay. But, it rolls now at least and stands on its own. Kept the original kickstand for it on it. Bike definitely feels/looks longer than my '58 Higgins.

Still working in the basement as well, had a couple warm days but going back to more seasonal temps in the next few days. Thinking of ditching the front disc brake as well, but not 100% yet on it.

P_20210312_154439.jpg

P_20210312_154457.jpg

P_20210312_154622.jpg

P_20210312_154633.jpg

I ended up using a chunk of soft rubber between the fork and fender to allow a bit of flex, so I could install the fender properly.

P_20210311_160452.jpg

I also ended up removing the original fender strut and taking the already cut down one from the other fender. Some finessing was required to widen it a bit to conform to the different shape.
P_20210310_152331.jpg

At least I got a set of matching vintage salad tongs now, lol.

P_20210310_152529.jpg

Near the point, what kinda grips should I put on it and what colour? Brown to match the saddle? Black? Maybe Red? Torpedo grips? Ball grips, Coke Bottles?

With the black walls and the black pedals and the black springer fork I'd go with black. Another option would be red to highlight the red line and graphics, but that might get you a Christmas themed bike

Dug her out of the basement yesterday, finally, since the weather has been Spring like. I put a set of brown OGK grips I had laying around on it for now, they're the same grips as my Fleetwing, (I had ordered 2 pair at the time, as they were dirt cheap). My friend down the street has some NOS black torpedo grips, I may have to try and get him to part with them.

Gonna hit up the LBS tomorrow and grab a new chain, hopefully. Shops around here have been kinda sparse, for getting stuff in. Got some bolt on cable straps to secure the shifter cable as well.

I also plan on drilling a couple more holes in the front fender brace, to bring the bottom of it closer in.

P_20210321_152528.jpg

Today's work, I installed a headlight and stole one of the saddlebags from my previous rides for underneath.
P_20210322_144033.jpg

Dug her out of the basement yesterday, finally, since the weather has been Spring like. I put a set of brown OGK grips I had laying around on it for now, they're the same grips as my Fleetwing, (I had ordered 2 pair at the time, as they were dirt cheap). My friend down the street has some NOS black torpedo grips, I may have to try and get him to part with them.

Gonna hit up the LBS tomorrow and grab a new chain, hopefully. Shops around here have been kinda sparse, for getting stuff in. Got some bolt on cable straps to secure the shifter cable as well.

I also plan on drilling a couple more holes in the front fender brace, to bring the bottom of it closer in.

View attachment 153271

Today's work, I installed a headlight and stole one of the saddlebags from my previous rides for underneath.
View attachment 153272
Looking good. All the parts seem to fit nicely and make her more complete.
Are ya likin' how she rides? I take my Skyrider out occasionally and tool around downtown and through the 'hood. The best part is the starry chainring......

Looking good. All the parts seem to fit nicely and make her more complete.
Are ya likin' how she rides? I take my Skyrider out occasionally and tool around downtown and through the 'hood. The best part is the starry chainring......

Thanks. Only been out on one ride so far. Thinking of flipping the bars. Rides good though, feels more solid than my Fleetwing.

Well, finally felt up to the task and installed the headbadge i had. Center punched where the mounting holes were gonna be, drilled them and then hammered in rivets.

P_20210406_145146.jpg

P_20210406_153201.jpg

P_20210406_153139.jpg

Got some sheet metal, and I plan on fabbing up some round cylindrical saddlebags for it, maybe, use pop rivets to put them all together, give it that aircraft/rocket look. Maybe find something to use as a "nose cone" and give them a kind of rocket look to them.

Been quietly working on this bike. swapped out the brown OGK grips for a set of black torpedos a couple weeks ago.

Today, I wired up the headlight and tail light.

I ended up using a cheap old tail light in my parts bin, that had a 4 x AA holder. Resoldered some joints, then velcroed it under the rack. installed a rather overkill toggle switch, to control the on/off of the lights. Hid the wires best I could. I just hope the two clips holding the lense to my "battery holder" don't give. Might just wrap them with a velcro strap.

P_20210617_195720.jpg

P_20210617_195832.jpg

P_20210617_195732.jpg

P_20210617_195703.jpg

P_20210617_195654.jpg

P_20210617_195632.jpg

P_20210617_200610.jpg

Also, this Sears headlight has 2 settings, I'm guessing High and Low beam?

P_20210617_194532.jpg

P_20210617_194538.jpg

Nice.
I like it.
Does that light have two bulbs in it?

Thanks. Tried to keep the wires as invisible as possible.

Yea, one in the middle as a normal light would have and then one at the top on an angle. Both have the same bulb. Black switch on top of the light itself switches between the modes. Sometimes I can get both lights on at the same time. So, I imagine the angle of the 2nd one, with the refractor, shines the light outwards in a different pattern. Didn't get around to going for a night ride to try it out.

Really tidy work. Inspirational too; I want to rewire mine too, but the co owner wants to keep the generator.
Do you have a top view picture of the light? It looks very similar to one I have, but mine is branded National Sanyo, perhaps they made them for Sears.
IMG_20200628_142207676.jpg

I love the texture on the reflector
IMG_20200628_125203800.jpg
IMG_20200628_125222904.jpg

Last edited:
Really tidy work. Inspirational too; I want to rewire mine too, but the co owner wants to keep the generator.
Do you have a top view picture of the light? It looks very similar to one I have, but mine is branded National Sanyo, perhaps they made them for Sears.
I love the texture on the reflector

Thanks. Also, added the Comet bell I picked up last year at an antique consignment shop.

My light has Sanyo branded bulbs in it, so, both the same light, just different branding. I pulled the light off a Sears bike I got cheap, cause I wanted the lights and Troxel seat on it. it's the biggest and coolest headlight I have that's not a repop (like the black one I had on my gold JC Higgins)

This is from when it was on the Sears Roebuck I had. sold it recently, actually, with a swapped saddle though...

P_20201025_160000.jpg

P_20201025_155447.jpg

Latest posts

Back