1962 Schwinn Tornado??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Found this on Craigslist. Serial no. A214478 tells me was built Dec. '62. The 1962 Schwinn Catalog does not show the Tornado. The older catalogs show the Tornado with a different frame. The only bike pictures I can find with this exact frame have 24 inch wheels, this one has 26 inch wheels. Any ideas or info? Thanks

1962 Twinn bar typhoon, and an awesome style frame. I have a 62 typhoon, a 24" and a 26" here's a picture of my 24"
image.jpg

Does it have the welded on kickstand tube? This was a one year only frame, first year of the Typhoon and only year of that frame. I have seen it dated as early as Aug of 61. When I have seen it dated earlier and in a different model, i.e. Tornado, Skipper, it usually didn't have the welded on kickstand tube.

Here's a 61 Tornado. It shows the twin tubes separate from the seat stays. It's possible that yours was made late in 61 which may have used the later frame, with the continuous tubes, but with that build date, I would say it's something else.
1961_07_zpsq92umj20.jpg

If the original paint is under the green repaint, you can find out what it is. The chain guard looks like a different style, but still a Schwinn chain guard. The name may be visible under the green paint, but it would have to be the same color as the bike. The underside may show the color, and on the frame and forks, the original color will show on the inside of the head tube and forks if you pull the forks. Also, if the cranks are pulled, the inside of the bottom bracket will show the color.
It looks like the correct front fender, underneath may also show the color.

Yes first year Typhoon my favorite bike. Had my red one stolen went through about 10 bikes before I found my present black one. I personally like yours in green very cool bicycle

Got a set of radiant red fenders with reflector, red and white seat with S logo, and handlebars all from a 1962 Typhoon. Oh yeah, and original rims. PM me if interested.

Agreed-1962 Typhoon, one year only frame style for reasons unknown. I have a 20" version myself in Red. If you part it out, send me a pm with the price for the handlebars...

Latest posts

Back