1964 Scwhinn ( Panther ? )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Schwinn and the serial number dates it in 64. It has a Panther chain guard, but the panther is not included in the 1964 or the 1965 catalog... Hmmm. Fishy, eh? What were the production dates of the Panther? It also, doesn't have Roman numerals after "panther"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the guard match the rest of the bike? Was it maybe replaced? Pics would go a long way to solving the mystery. At the very least, describe the frame style, guard shape, tank, etc.

The Panther name was used, off and on, from early 1950's until the present day. I'm not so sure there's definitive production rules...more like guidelines. I myself have a camelback Speedster frame dated 1962, a year when, ostensibly, the Speedster wasn't produced.

I will post pics later. I'm not near the bike. The chain guard matches color, but the style doesn't match any panther chain guard I've seen, but I haven't seen that many.

678a5b4502eea5bc4fae64901418c196.jpg
this is a 64 ? With a half tank. Barely see other side on. I got the numbers matched for year but never found the model name.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

9390c0ffc56a7a06132b5cbfe7b95a04.jpg

Here it is.
Is there any sort of clip for the tank on the frame? There's nothing on this one.

Agreed. The "mag" chainring was offered on the Panther beginning in the late '60s. Before that, it was the typical four-circles style found on most non-youth models. That puts my prediction firmly in the 1969-70 camp--re-check your serial number against those production dates.

Every example I've seen of that vintage came equipped with the slender tank, which may have just wedged into the space.

Last edited:
Does the rear hub have a red stripe? The rims look like S-7's so I'll guess they are the originals. The red stripe Bendix hub was made from 61 to the late 60's. Or no stripe which would mean it was made later, maybe says Bendix 70, which would indicate the year of 1970 or a year or two later.

Last edited:
afer looking at thunderbeards pic, and your lack of tank mounts on the frame, perhaps somoeone stuck a panther chain guard on a typhoon or similar?

I was thinking the same thing CrazyDave. #s are on the dropout which dates it in the 60's and still matches with 64. I'm thinking the mag chainring, chain guard , AND the wheels were all added to it as they look just like the ones from my 71 Racer. Pedals match those from the early to mid 60s. AND I think it's probably a Typhoon. Thanks for everyone's input.

I did a little more digging. This illustration is from T R Findley's site. The decal on the seat tube only matches 3 of the cruiser style bikes from 64, Fleet, Typhoon and Hornet. The others have the larger rectangular decal. But they all came in either red or black, not blue, and they show painted fenders. Yours has the stainless fenders which may have been ordered special. The serial number should help get a better ID on it.

It looks like a good rider no matter which model it started out as, they all used the same frame.
1964_1415.jpg

I agree on the fork darts, good call. I would look the serial over real good and be 100% when ya check it again...but as was said, same frame forever on all middleweights, it can be whatever you want it to be!

Aside from the arrows looking a little low, there's no evidence of an after market paint job. Paint is in pretty good shape. One of the reasons I bought it. After looking at the 1969 catalog, and the serial numbers, if I mistook an "E" for a 4 after the "M" it would explain a lot.

If there are any scratches, look for red primer...all the ones I seen from this era used that.....

There's no Panther listed for 64 or 65, and the only year they show a blue model is 1967.

f1a9b7aba92a0d005da60991fa906303.jpg

Well, here are the numbers. It's definitely at 4 after the M so that still dates it as a 64. So like Crazy Dave suggested earlier, it's looking like a 64 Typhoon, Fleet, or Hornet frame with some later parts placed on it.

The 64 catalog says Typhoon , Fleet, Hornet, and Wasp only came in red or black, but, it was made on December 12th of 64. Maybe it was made for the 1965 model year, which included a blue deluxe Typhoon. And since neither year, 64 or 65, included a Panther model, it can't be a Panther. The seat tube decal on yours wasn't on any of the blue models, except the 65 deluxe Typhoon. Unless someone scraped off the bigger decal and added the small round one, then it's a deluxe Typhoon frame made in 64, with the rear wheel (Bendix 70) and chain wheel from a later model Schwinn. They also added the stainless fenders from another Schwinn.
But it's a keeper for sure, just like it is.
1965dlr_Typhoon_Deluxe.jpg

Latest posts

Back