1966 JC Penney Foremost Convertible

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got ahold of this 20" 1966(?) JC Penney Foremost Convertible and I'm considering a (partial) restore job on it. As far the paint goes I'll attempt to clean it up as much as possible but I don't want to repaint it. For one I like the patina look and also I'd never be able to recreate those great pinstripes.

My first big issue is the wheels. The original tires are solid rubber and I'm pretty sure a new 20" tire and tube won't sit properly in the rim - even if I drill a hole for the tube stem. But, as you can see in the pictures, a newer 20" front wheel I had on hand has two problems:
1 - The threaded axle is bigger than the opening in the forks. I could probably drill out the gap a little wider but I'm not sure that's a good idea.
2 - The spread on the forks is narrower than the width of the hub.
*Note* I don't have a rear 20" wheel on hand so I haven't even dealt with that yet.

So I need some advice:
Will new tubes/tires fit in the old rims? I don't want to cut off the old tires just to find out.
What can/should I do regarding the cut outs in the forks?
What can/should I do regarding the spread of the forks?

Thanks and standing by...

IMG_3538.jpg
IMG_3539.jpg
IMG_3541.jpg
IMG_3543.jpg

This is the fork spread problem...
IMG_3573.jpg

This is the axle size problem...
IMG_3575.jpg

Here's the original JC Penney catalog from 1966. Mine is #1 one this page.
page0187.jpg

Most of those bikes were ridden into the ground. Little boys really know how to destroy stuff. It's a Murray made bike going by the dropouts.

You're right, only the solid rubber tires will fit those rims. I don't think you can find a set anywhere.

Your old rims have 20 spokes also, so lacing the old hubs into newer rims might be a problem, unless you can find a 20" kids bike that has 20 spokes per wheel. Then that would take care of your axle fitting, front and rear.

To use the better 20" rims that take pneumatic tires, (28-36 spokes) on the front you can file down a small area on the axle, right next to the adjusting cone where the axle will slide over the fork. Take off just enough from the axle front and back so the fork will allow it in. You could file some off the fork but the axle can be changed out easily if there's a problem. As for width, your bike has a real fork, not a tricycle fork, so that extra 1/2 inch width will go in by prying the fork open just enough to drop it in.

The rear looks okay for taking a new rear wheel, the slots look big enough and your existing hub looks like a regular hub that would go on a bigger bike.

The graphics look good, and I concur with keeping the patina.

Looking at the ad, you have the #2 bike, #1 has pneumatic tires and doesn't show the white paint on the front fender.
When you clean it, the white graphics and JC Penny emblem may wipe off easily, so be careful. When I've cleaned up old bikes, I go very easy on the trim but give the old paint a good scrubbing, then give them a couple coats of car wax to bring out the shine and preserve what's left of the original. This Phillips ladies bike was a chalky light blue before I cleaned it up. The second coat of wax really helped.
14uf5sl.jpg

Latest posts

Back