1967 Schwinn Fastback (Class 1): Completed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this bike on a trade which I still have to make good on (Meaning I have two paint two frames in addition to this one). I was going to keep it, but I really need funds to kick a couple other entries for the MBBO, so I believe I'm going to restore this, then sell it. Nothing fancy. This will be a straight restore. Same candy violet color, or as close as I can make it. And I've got to build a seat from scratch, which will be a first for me.

KaZLrb.jpg

I've got to get better at taking "before" pictures. I get excited and start tearing things apart when I should be just assessing them. The derailleur is a mess. As I'm staring at it I'm wondering if I'm going to have to replace it, or can I restore it. So I start poking around to see how easy it would be to take apart. Next thing I know, the whole thing is apart. I didn't know this, but on old Schwinn derailleurs, you can split the chain guide wheel hubs apart. Inside are 15 tiny ball bearings!! I didn't know this till a few escaped. Luckily I rounded them all up. 30 ball bearings accounted for, and the rest of the derailleur, the bottom bracket, and the kickstand are getting a kerosene soak.

haFXGp.jpg

The previous owner told me this, but I didn't actually see it. He included another rim because of this, but I just laid eyes on it. For the first time in a restoration, I've encountered a bullet hole!!

slTj0s.jpg
:13:

Well... now that I re-read that coming from you... no. I'm going to re-cover a seat. I've never done that before. I've seen you build a seat from nothing, so I retract my "from scratch" statement.

You may not be attempting a scratch seat, but I might just try. An appropriate saddle is the one thing I don't already have for my build and I MUST get rid of the existing ultra-wide grandma thunder-chair!

Bullet hole, eh? Always nice to have stories to go with the bike.

I imagine when finished that it will look as cool as your previous builds. You do amazing paint and fine details.:cool2:

Oh did this come from Idaho?
Only reason I ask is because someone was selling one that looked just like this even had the 22lr bullet hole in the rim.

I've been tearing everything apart and cleaning it. I am worried I'm not going to get the derailleur back together, but I'll attack that soon. Anyway... I started tear down of my seat. Here's how the donor looked.

hKyiXb.jpg

I got off the bottom pan.

FB1ENd.jpg

8sWA36.jpg

Then tore off the cover.
JfoZ7m.jpg

I really wanted to understand how the original padding looked, so I could emulate it as much as possible, but it's pretty complicated. I think persons had their pads made with variable thicknesses. Not something I'm going to be able to recreate.
MwOOWY.jpg

TmbsLw.jpg

Hey look! A plastic edge shield in the back! The front didn't have it. I'll try to recreate that when I put it back together.

fdVjtQ.jpg

I'm going to soak off the pad I can't easily scrape off, then sand blast the pans... then paint.

Last edited:
Sometimes I really stink at taking "before" pictures, because I just attack the parts. I didn't take a before picture of the derailleur, but it was a mess. So was this freewheel. It was crusted with gunk, and rusted. I broke down all 5 gears from the body, then soaked it all in degreaser, then scrubbed. Then I lubed the body... a lot... and got the action back. It works really smooth now.

nk1XYo.jpg

Good stuff, youre going deep on restoration / preservation.
I used a closed cell packing foam when I recovered my seat, doesnt hold water. No real info other than it came from the recycled packaging pile at work.

Stretched the cover, 3M super 77 spray adhesive and a lot of binder clips for paperwork to keep it secure while the glue set, used cut up paint sticks to prevent the clips from gouging the cover.

Looks like that cover is secured to metal, were there staples thru the metal. Mine had a top and bottom pan.

Last edited:
Oh did this come from Idaho?
Only reason I ask is because someone was selling one that looked just like this even had the 22lr bullet hole in the rim.
Yes, I believe this is that bike. I bought it from a guy in my town who brought a bunch of bikes back from Idaho. I then traded it to Crash. Small (bike) world eh?

Latest posts

Back