1971 Schwinn Suburban

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I must confess; I’m totally smitten with this thing.

I’ve been looking for a brown suburban for some time.

The price was right on this thing, so even though it’s a little tall for me, I got it.

Gonna do a spiffy in a jiffy and ride it!!!
BEACF6CE-2949-4CCE-99D3-7555A857EF42.jpeg
6728AF24-CBF6-44B7-95A2-B4C463DE6F88.jpeg

The bike was super dirty when I got it, but really, fully functional

A lot of light surface rust with a few spots of heavy surface rust mixed in, but nothing awful.

Looked like it was ridden and put in a nice barn and sat for 20 years

She cleaned up and lubed up great!

Just a few hours into this thing and it’s great

Got it on the rack : I’m going to do “my move” and black out the fender braces

New tires

Flip bars and put on tape

Rear seat bag

Ride!
643EE00B-430E-47EE-8EB5-B4F831818DD6.jpeg

Last edited:
Hopefully the ride quality of the Schwinn Varsity/Continental/Suburban line will be to your liking. I find the Schwinn Varsity I own to be the best ride quality of all my bikes. That is why I've owned a Varsity on and off all my life. This last one is 20+ years with me and I'm still riding it. I have better quality, lighter, faster bikes but the Varsity gets the most riding.

Hopefully the ride quality of the Schwinn Varsity/Continental/Suburban line will be to your liking. I find the Schwinn Varsity I own to be the best ride quality of all my bikes. That is why I've owned a Varsity on and off all my life. This last one is 20+ years with me and I'm still riding it. I have better quality, lighter, faster bikes but the Varsity gets the most riding.
Thanks! As a kid, THEE bike to have (where I was from) was the Schwinn Varsity: there was no other bike for getting around.

no questions asked.

Im a little miffed that some people look down their nose at them today and they’re not particularly valuable.

as I’m 5’7, ages 10-13 I had a rare 24” varsity, because I was never particularly tall! -Rode it all over the place.

Ive heard the taller frames offer a better ride. I’m looking forward to this suburban.

I have a vintage, steel, Peugeot road bike that rides pretty good…. But it’s not my heritage!

im just going to use this guy as a recreational rider. I have an old collegiate 5 speed im going to “hot rod” with modern wheels, saddle, bars, etc. and flog it as a trainer.

Here’s the collegiate
E4E06A3F-3E40-45E1-8BD4-1A9CBF607AF1.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, so, on the fence here.

I tried to do 2 things here, and I don’t think the combo worked with the tape I bought

First, I saw on YouTube where a guy was adding shipping packing to his bars for comfort

-I work in manufacturing and we have tons of scrap, foam, sheet packaging

The guy online used 4 layers, which I did as well
DFBBBC27-2440-4EDE-A6E3-35F389589A5C.jpeg

2AE7C70B-2CF6-4323-96B5-26CD08DDBE27.jpeg

The tape I bought was super cheap.

It was not very flexible.

I did the best I could with the added foam and curvy bars.

It actually broke right by where the brakes connects

I wanted the foam tape, but I can’t find it in brown: I may chuck this and just do black foam

Feel free to input
6F6C21EE-EB95-4EF9-AE66-99998AC87D56.jpeg

I've used 3M splicing tape for under bar tape. Adds some cushion, doesn't look over padded.

View attachment 199896
AWESOME idea! I’m all over this!

looking back on this build, the most I’m going to ride this this is probably 17 miles…. I think if I just doubled my packing foam pieces instead of quadruple it would have been easier to tape.

this stuff looks awesome. I’ll definitely run some down on my next tape job!

Do these share the Varsity frame?
Thanks Ulu. I’m….. not sure!

@Wildcat , do you know (or anyone else reading) do the suburban and varsity share the same frame?

this frame in particular is a large/tall frame compared to the varsity I’m working on, but do not know of the model’s fames are interchangeable if the same size .

Same year, same size, same gear train ... same frame, I believe. There are options that the Suburban had that the Varsity didn't (3spd, front freewheel)...and sizes of Varsity that weren't available in same year Suburbans (wide range of sizes including camelback and 24" wheel versions).

The Suburban started out as a replacement for the Varsity Tourist.

Latest posts

Back